• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken Crank. What should I do?

EastCoastSledder

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2012
I have a 2013 SBA with 4800 miles and was removing the primary with a clutch puller when the PTO end of the crank snapped with very little force on the puller.
A buddy of mine was looking at it and thought the crank must have already been snapped from torque force due to the rings on the break.
I have never broken a belt on the sled and when I rebuilt the top end last season the crank bearings seemed to be in good condition. I also have a slp torque arm installed.
I am hoping to do a relatively cheap and quick fix so I don’t lose to much of the season. I saw that there are used cranks on eBay would they be worth getting or should I just bite the bullet and get new crank? Also is there any other problems I should look out for that would have caused the crank to break so it doesn’t happen again?
Any info from the experts on here would be much appreciated!
7edaf7653385700cd9d1a1f03fdcd3cb.jpg
7d3126801c17734e47de4a55f894f11b.jpg
b06c5d8720cf8daae27bdf695378a926.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
How did u remove the primary? Did u use a impact? Maybe it wasn’t torqued properly before and spung around in there a lot creating heat? Either way it’s not something u wanna mess with again. I’d consider the eBay route but I’d bring it to a good machine shop and have them spec it out. Good luck

Premium Features