• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Running on only one cylinder.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
If the capacitor does not fix it then I am going to go with stator being your problem.

B
Feb 21, 2011
Bend, OR
When the problem first began it was intermittent, the sled would run great, then momentarily run crappy, then back to good. As time passed it got worse until now, once it warms up it runs only on the one cylinder. Could this be possible with low compression in one cylinder? The intermittent way it began made me think compression wasn't an issue. I'll get a tester and check it to be sure. Thanks for the ideas, this is stumping me and I'm getting tired of throwing parts at it.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Could this be possible with low compression in one cylinder?

yes it can..

also, i know a chipped reed wouldnt cause it to run on one cylinder, but you may have chipped a reed, and ingested something in the motor, and damaged cylinder/rings causing the issue as well...

so in short..

--check compression, WHILE holding throttle wide open while pulling motor over, with kill switch shut OFF ;)
--check your reeds VERY carefully for ANY chips..

report back, before you spend more money

B
Feb 21, 2011
Bend, OR
When the problem first started, I took the sled into the shop for them to run diagnostics on the computer and they also checked the fuel pressure and they reported that it was producing "good" pressure. I haven't personally checked it...

B
Feb 21, 2011
Bend, OR
Replaced the stator this morning and inspected the reeds. I have damage on both sides. Going to see if anyone in town has new reeds...
208292_1910295007236_1537684949_2031779_3898652_s.jpg
215826_1910294487223_1537684949_2031777_4096885_s.jpg

B
Feb 21, 2011
Bend, OR
So, if stator or reeds don't fix the problem, and I doubt they will, I'm thinking the ECU is the next step. I probably am going to look for a used unit due to the price of a new one. Does anyone know if a "red" ECU can be reflashed to a "yellow" program? I am starting to look for a used ECU and will try to get a "yellow" one as that is the color I am now, but if a "red" one could be reflashed, I have access to one now. Any input is appreciated.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
So, if stator or reeds don't fix the problem, and I doubt they will, I'm thinking the ECU is the next step. I probably am going to look for a used unit due to the price of a new one. Does anyone know if a "red" ECU can be reflashed to a "yellow" program? I am starting to look for a used ECU and will try to get a "yellow" one as that is the color I am now, but if a "red" one could be reflashed, I have access to one now. Any input is appreciated.

Yeh you can flash them for any cold injector at the dealerships..

I also have a used ecu if u need one. (Pm me if needed)

Good luck bud.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
P.s.

vf3 reeds are garbage IMO...stock are best. But u must replace throttle body boots as weakly since vf. Reeds must have modified boots to use. ;)

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
If you suspesct the ECU and have another ECU try it to see if it solves your problem. If it does then you can take it to a dealer and have it reflashed to the proper color injectors. Dont ride it with the wrong ECU Injector color.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Or if you have a quality multi-meter, locate and back probe the wires that come out of the ECM that go to the mag side injector to verify the correct resistance still and during the wiggling of the wire harness and then when engine is running to verify ECM is commanding that injector to fire. I know it's kind of difficult since you have to remove the tank but it is possible. I have had to do this on a couple of 900's (05''s)

This can be done if you don't have a spare or loaner ECM. At this time it would be a good idea to verify a good clean ground and also run an extra ground wire to the motor. A quality set of alligator clips with quality wire can be a quick way to add an engine ground.

Hopefully you have already checked the mag injector wire harness and connector closely and verifying there isn't a short to ground from a wire rubbing somewhere along that circuit. Sometimes a short to ground on a circuit like this can pop an ECM and if not located, found, and repaired can pop additional ECM's.
\

Good luck

B
Feb 21, 2011
Bend, OR
I have a "red" ECU that I am going to have the dealer reflash to the the "yellow" software and then I am going to put it all back together. The ECU I am going to reflash is used, but supposedly good. I also have put in a used, but supposedly good stator. Unfortunately this means I won't know if the stator is the problem or the ECU, but I am tired of pulling it apart. At this point I don't care what the problem is as long as this POS runs.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
The reeds could definitely cause some problems. V-force require more maintenance than the stock ones. If reeds didn't solve it than it is most likely the stator. Installing an extra ground wire to the engine is a very good idea too.

B
Feb 21, 2011
Bend, OR
Wow, I have never been so frustrated with a toy before. Installed and reflashed a "good" used ECU, examined the wiring, reassembled, and still the same problem. I'm going to have to try to connect my multimeter to the lead going to the mag injector and then run the engine and see if, once it gets hot, that signal changes. I'm planning on disconnecting the mag injector, connecting my multimeter to the harness coming from the ECU, reconnecting the fuel lines, and running the engine. I'll watch the meter until it gets warm enough to where it normally craps out and see if the signal changes. Is this a good idea? Any other suggestions? I'm also contemplating a new wiring harness. Can the injector bench test well and then malfunction once warm? Any help is appreciated.

B
Feb 21, 2011
Bend, OR
Tested the fuel pressure myself, and it was about 62 psi and remained there even when the mag cylinder quits.
Anyone have a good used yellow mag injector they want to sell me? Should I try to get both injectors? I really don't want to buy new ones...over $400!

R
Aug 7, 2009
pinetop az
I dont think the reeds would cause this problem.
Mine had actualy fallen apart in the cage with a half inch gap.
It only caused low idle and a bog at part throtle. top end was fine.
Switched injector leads (top to bottom) will run good up to half throtle and give you a big bog on the top end.
Rob

Premium Features