• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What Age?

D

digger18

Feb 22, 2009
Otsego MN
My nephew really wants to go out west with us. So what do you guys think is the right age to start taking him with us? He is ten now and has been riding sleds and dirt bikes since he was four. Thanks

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
My first time I was 14, but that was in 1984! I was on a 1980 Yammi Exciter 440. Lets just say my frst 2 days were not very fun... LOL!

Depends on his size, weight and ability to keep the sled from being in control.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Like others said. Depends on his size and riding ability.

You also need to take into account who else is going. If you are riding with guys that typically push it pretty good. Think about them when making the decision. "Will this person affect the decisions or riding areas for everyone".

IMO I wouldn't feel comfortable with any 10 year old. Bottom line they don't have the strength to get themselves out of a serious stuck situation with out help.

So until they can turn a sled around on a hill by them self they aren't ready.

One last thing to consider. All of us have seen seasoned veterans from the flat lands come out to the Rockies for the first trip. It sucks for them until they figure it out! A 7 year old can ride the trail but can they pull and cut a side hill with trees above and a 30' drop below and hold it? These situations come up.

Thunder

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
One last thing to consider. All of us have seen seasoned veterans from the flat lands come out to the Rockies for the first trip. It sucks for them until they figure it out! A 7 year old can ride the trail but can they pull and cut a side hill with trees above and a 30' drop below and hold it? These situations come up.

Thunder
I think if you put a 10 year old in that situation, you're a complete dumbass. Doesn't matter if you're riding in the east, west or outer Mongolia. If you wind up in that situation unwillingly, you aren't thinking far enough ahead to be riding safely in the mountains.

Of course you can ride out west with a 10 year old....not to be smart, but what do you think people in the west do with their kids? If you are not confident that he won't take off somewhere silly, or not confident enough to supervise him/pick suitable familiar terrain....then maybe not such a good idea.

D

digger18

Feb 22, 2009
Otsego MN
I see what everyyone is saying. If I would take him it would be to a place that has alot of meadows he could play in. I would not let him get into any dangerous situations. He is a great kid that pays attention to everything and listens. My buddies are pretty cool and would like for him to start coming out. I would limit it to taken him once or twice a year so the big boys can play. Thanks everyone for the input.

E
May 16, 2009
Cloquet, MN
I'm wondering the same thing about my son. He's a very good rider for his age but he can't even ride the trails legally here in MN until he's 12. Are there age limits in WY?

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Your going to get alot of mixed answers here. Some will be "take him at any age" which would be true if you were an hour from home and at some point when the kid says "im cold" or "im done" you can take him back home or lodge what ever.
But for us guys that travel long distances I really think the youth has to be in for it for the day like the grown ups. So that puts my age at the earliest 10 but most 12-13. They have to be able to not only handle the sled but handle themselves in these conditions without you holding there hand 110% through out the day. JMO.

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
Jaynelson is right. If he wants to go, take him. Take the time for one trip to spend quality training time with him. It may not be a hammer down, rip it up ride but that isn't the point. Ride areas and terrain he is comfortable in and show him technique and how to handle certain situations that arise in the mountains. If he enjoys it he'll be hooked and you just got yourself a new riding buddy and another one of US into the sport. I took my son to the Horns for the 1st time in 2007 at age 10. He had a blast. Now, at age 14 I have a very hard time keeping up with him. It makes me proud to sit back and watch him and see how he has evolved into a very good young rider over the past 4 years. He IS my riding buddy now. I do not take a trip out west without him. I posted a few pics on the Bighorns sticky of our May 7 ride. The pics are of him rippin up the Horns. Take him out. You won't regret it. BTW, the Horns just got dumped on again. Lots of good snow for a great spring ride.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Your going to get alot of mixed answers here. Some will be "take him at any age" which would be true if you were an hour from home and at some point when the kid says "im cold" or "im done" you can take him back home or lodge what ever.
But for us guys that travel long distances I really think the youth has to be in for it for the day like the grown ups. So that puts my age at the earliest 10 but most 12-13. They have to be able to not only handle the sled but handle themselves in these conditions without you holding there hand 110% through out the day. JMO.

This can be true, BUT this often happens when Dad and the buddies are all decked out in Klim and North Face, while the kids are in Kmart gear. Bottom line is if you wouldn't wear it,Why the he!! would you put a kid or a wife in it and expect them to be happy??? When my boy was first starting to go with us (age 2) we spent more money on GOOD GEAR for him than what we could afford for ourselves. He loved it. And that gear has been passed down through several kids since then. I hate to say it, but REI has the best selection of gear for small kids (under 5) that we have found. Mostly Patagonia gear.

We are lucky enough to live in Alaska and have next to no rules or age limits. My boy started riding solo in the mtns regularlly at about age 5. By the time he was 10, I would take him most anywhere. Always made sure there were other adults as his strentgh was limited to help getting a sled out of something ugly. Usually was not his sled that we had to extract either!!! He is now 19 and time to pass the torch. There are not many things left that I can do better than he can. He raced the Alyeska hills climbs this year for the 1st time. He held his own very very well. He beat guys that have been running for many years and have placed at Jackson. Not bad for riding old iron as that is all we can afford for him. Put him on a new Assualt and he would really be fun to watch.

Bottom line as a parent, how responsible is your boy? When you tell him "no". Will he respect you? In the mountians, that can be life and death. If you trust him, and his abilities, by all means take him. He will learn mtn riding much quickier than the adults I bet! Keep it fun for him, and all in the group. It will be a trip neither of you will forget.

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Age??

Well I took my daughter out at age 12 for her first ride. I made her work at some skills on the flats that I knew she would need in the hills. She struggled the first time and was somewhat intimidated by the terrain but she pushed herself and did very well. As good as most flatlander men I've been with on their first trip to the hills.
2010 was a whole new game and at 14 she went with more strength and confidence and a 2010 M8 that is a dream to throw around in any snow conditions. I certainly was not doing the things after 3 trips that she is now and she can technically out-ride most of the guys I ride with in the flats all winter. Am I a proud Dad??You bet your a$$ I am, and I attribute a lot of her skills to the fact that she is determined to ride out there plus the fact that she is aware that in order to ride out there you have to be much more skilled than here at home. I am willing to take her there and teach the best I can and the guys that go with us have been patient to watch and help the learning process and as a result will get their butts handed to them next year I suspect as will her Dad.
Don't sell your son short just give him the advantage of working up his skills at home first. Its a special oportunity for kids that love to sled to have the chance to sled in the mt's with their parents, especially when the mt"s are not that close to home. I drive 15hrs one way to enjoy what there is out west and to have my daughter along with me is just that much more special.

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
Get him out their! I started riding the "mtns" when I was 6, I was just a trail/meadow kid. But every time out, he will gain more and more experience than the time before. So in a couple years, he will be riding circles around the ol Man.:face-icon-small-win
For me though, I didn't become an average rider until last year at 14. And now, I would say that I'm a 50x better this year over last year. Which is awesome, cause now the kid of the group can be the leader and have some real fun. It will all come with time and familiarity with the sled and terrain.
Brad

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Well, you gotta start somewhere, and sooner is better than later at that point. Just slowly ease him into it and make sure he feels comfortable whenever he does anything. I know from personal expierence having low selfconfidence is gonna = lots of stucks

But when hes that small, and probably that weak stucks are gonna happen a lot anyway. I know when I was 14/15 I sure had my fair share...Then I started working out and got stronger and things all clicked for me this year

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
I have been taking my son, who is 12, to the mountains for the past 4 years. When we go riding, we don't go up chutes, or have to side hill to get someplace. There is plenty of other place to ride. We go where he is comfortable so he can have fun. When he tags along for a ride, the day is about him. I can go ridding and play another day. The more he goes out, the better he becomes and eventually my little buddy will be my riding partner. We also live a minimum of 4 hours to any mountain riding. As long as they are moving, cold is never a factor, unless his gloves are wet from sweating.

WestMont

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Florence, Mt.
I say don't let age be a barrier and don't leave kids behind if they want to go. You may not want to take a young rider to some of the "best" riding areas you would like to ride but if they are willing to go just be sure to go where they will have a great time and want to go again.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I think if you put a 10 year old in that situation, you're a complete dumbass. Doesn't matter if you're riding in the east, west or outer Mongolia. If you wind up in that situation unwillingly, you aren't thinking far enough ahead to be riding safely in the mountains.

Of course you can ride out west with a 10 year old....not to be smart, but what do you think people in the west do with their kids? If you are not confident that he won't take off somewhere silly, or not confident enough to supervise him/pick suitable familiar terrain....then maybe not such a good idea.

Jay, I think you missed my point or I didn't explain it well. I would NEVER put a kid in this kind of situation. But my point is if you want to ride the steep and deep these situations come up. So before you take a 7 year old, 10 year old or a 25 year old they need to be ready.

Granted the only way to get ready is ride. So take them every chance you get.

But also don't expect all of your hard core riding buddies to stay on the trail and not bust over a ridge or up a chute to the next bowl just because you have a beginner in the group.

A person has to have the right intentions when they leave, everyone needs to understand the riding level and be ok with it.

Just my opinion and blast me if you want.

If my group had a trip planned. We were going to drive a 1000 miles each way, dump 3-4 grand on the trip. I would be a bit upset if someone decided to have an inexperienced rider tag along for the week. I know kind of selfish on my part.

I learned riding the mountains, I have taken my kids on kid rides and worked with them to develop them into true mountain riders. But under no circumstance would I take them on a trip and ruin someone else's trip.

So long story short. Digger18. Take him out west. No better place to learn. But make sure you check it off with all your buddies first. You might need to plan a solo trip with a couple of friends that simply want to take the trip as a sight seeing adventure and take the kid where "HE" can go. If this is the intention have at. No better time like the present.

Thunder

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
This isn't an age question. It is a matter how much school they will miss? Do you really want to take him or will he weigh in on your fun? He needs to know about avalanche safety. I would take him if it was me.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
I started doubling my kid when he was 8 and would let him bomb around on the lakes and meadows solo while we had lunch etc. He was on his own sled by the time he was 10 and never looked back. He was climbing turbo mntn when he was 14 and chutes when he was 16. I say get them out there. You should have seen the Micku's back in the day. I swear 6 of them would jump out of a Ford crew cab ranging from 5-15 yrs old and they all were on there own rides, boys and girls.

K
May 18, 2009
Casper Wyoming
I say take him. I live in wyoming and I take my 12 year daughter with me all the time. We ride the snowies and togwatee areas. If shes with me, we head in to areas I know she can ride. I usually find meadows that have small hillsides for her to play on and learn how to ride. I also push her by making her follow me thru the trees so she can can learn to control the sled. I try to ride but I usually end up sitting there watching her improve and take her pictures. Of course I do make my trips every once and a while without her so I can go play in the steep and deep stuff.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Jay, I think you missed my point or I didn't explain it well. I would NEVER put a kid in this kind of situation. But my point is if you want to ride the steep and deep these situations come up. So before you take a 7 year old, 10 year old or a 25 year old they need to be ready.

Granted the only way to get ready is ride. So take them every chance you get.

But also don't expect all of your hard core riding buddies to stay on the trail and not bust over a ridge or up a chute to the next bowl just because you have a beginner in the group.

A person has to have the right intentions when they leave, everyone needs to understand the riding level and be ok with it.

Just my opinion and blast me if you want.
I see what you're saying for sure....don't want many catering to the needs of one. That definetly makes sense if you're driving a long ways. The way you worded it just sounded like if you ride out west you're going to wind up in dangerous, gnarly situations, and that's not really necessary if you plan your day's trip accordingly. I have gone to some AWESOME places that many people don't get to riding solo, while doubling my GF. Just gotta pick a good route with mellower slopes, away from AVY runouts, etc, etc

Premium Features