• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stock, Bore, or Turbo KK 900 efi?

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
Currently have a seized up motor on my 2005 Arctic Cat King cat 900. For a year now, and have no idea now which route to go with it. So my questions are:

1. Should I just leave the motor a stock 900, and do pipes, air snorkel, belt drive, maybe high comp heads, ect. Just build around the 900 jugs, pistons, heads, crank?

2. Put a turbo on it? (But heard doing it on an EFI is harder the carbed sleds)

3. Bore it. If I bore I still will want pipes, CAI, Belt drive ect.

I want to be able to keep up with the new sleds to an extent, but also don't want to be breaking down every trip I take out west.

Very Respectfully: 507Sledz

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
The only thing holding that motor back from keeping up with anything new is the chassis it's in.
They are definitely showing their age, but improvements can be made.

I'm a big fan of the 975 big bore using M1000 pistons. Add a single pipe and call the motor done. Head isn't necessary, IMO, reeds are ok, but not a huge deal.

We've got a bunch of sleds with this motor now, and it's great. The chassis is the issue. We solved this two ways.

One is a highly modified 1M chassis. Van Amburg tunnel, Diamond drive, M8 skid and fuel tank/seat. That required a new steering post, that is near vertical (uses a polaris post with a U-joint.) This sled is great, but was a ton of work.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345844

Second one was less work, but feels a little blasphemous. Put the motor in a Polaris Dragon chassis. Worked out quite well also. Feels like most of the difference between this and #1 is the track and suspension setup.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387978

sledneckbrd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Casper, WY
If you are looking to upgrade to turbo or big bore kit I have about anything you need. I have 3 king cat's with different setups on them and I am looking at selling all my snowmobiles. Let me know and we can talk about what I have and what you want. I will be posting pictures and details this summer when I get things cleared out of my garage.

Premium Features