• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

For Everyone with an 08-10 D8 Please Read

General Feelings on 08-10 Polaris D8

• Total voters

12V92 LOGGER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 27, 2012
Colorado Rockies
I bought a '10 800 dragon rmk this summer with about 1000 miles on it. previous owner had engine failure that was replaced under warranty. I have put about 300 miles on this year with absolutely no problems. Was told that previous owner had completely different riding style than I do. Maybe riding style has something to do with engine life, or at least a contributing factor. I am also very anal about letting engine warm up and very consious about what fuel goes in the tank. I don't claim to have all the answers to the dragon engine issues, but so far so good. :face-icon-small-hap Hope you all have good luck with yours as well HAPPY RIDING!!!!!:nod:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
This past year I replaced my pistons with wiseco pistons at about 1000 miles on my 2009.

Pistons had light scuffing on them in skirt area. Measuring them with good calipers and they are not very true. Big difference between both. Wiseco was a lot closer.

I run a high compression head and the forged pistons, no thermostat. I make sure things warm up and run a little before getting on it hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P
Jan 22, 2013
leduc, alberta
I don't see Tom Tillerman chiming in here.....maybe some of the $54 million he extracted from Polaris in wages, bonuses and stock options could have been used to develope a better fuel system on the snowmobiles. I just got off a 2008 iqr 600 snowcrosser that has three long trail seasons on it without a hiccup...just add gas and oil, not even a jetting change and it runs and runs all year long at 8600plus. So I know Polaris can build a motor. I also crewchief a couple of thousand mods that run sub 5's and hold sub 1 second 60ft timeslips on sanctioned timing lights....there's something to be said for gasoline thats fully atomised and ready to burn.........putting fuel into the boost port a couple inches from the piston is just plain wrong ...you can get away with it if theres enough heat in the motor.ie..running lean with elevated cylinder, head and piston temps, but you may or may not acheive this on a consistent basis or from one engine to the next, and remapping is really just changing the metered quanity of fuel.....it has nothing to do with atomisation and how the fuel is able to burn. Check out Mike Morans website where Mike has done an excellant job of using high-speed photography to show how an injector fails to atomise fuel....and what he's done to solve the problem. I would also suggest to Polaris to get busy and develope a proper direct injection system, or at least buy your engine developemnt people a garden nozzle to play with to understand atomisation, and mount the injectors as far away from the piston as possible.

S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
I have 2 2010 D8s. I have installed "the fix" kit on one, and fuel commander on another (to compensate midrange RPM lean condition). Both sleds have just 200 km on them, engines have 20 hrs.
Let`s see how its going to work this season :)

RMKillR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
Wisco
Anyone looking to dump a blown 09-10 dragon rmk 155" send me a message. Looking for a straight chassis. Located in wi. Will travel

Thank you

J
Jan 21, 2014
lander wyoming
Mine is an 09 800 shift 144 I bought it brand new in 2011 still shrink wrapped from the factory. I got an awesome discount the dealer was going out of buisness and it never got the update. I chose to ride it till it quit instead of the 900 dollar rebuild on a brand new engine. 2000 some odd miles and all that's happend is spark plug boots started arcing this year and I smashed my front shock in the skid frame. I maintain it very well clean exhast valves clutch work grease everything. But mainly I don't cruise, I'm always in and out of the throttle avoiding the lean range and I let her warm up to operating temp before it moves. I keep the temp gauge displayed and stop around 150 degrees f. I'm not on the trail much so I usually don't havethat problem. Hope my two cents helps, can I just say how nice it is to have the hood and side panels open .

Premium Features