• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

When did your kids ride the backcountry?

S
Dec 9, 2012
Nebraska
When did your kids start riding the backcountry and could handle it well? Dad gave it up this year at the age of 71, and just wondering what age most kids can handle the good stuff? Also what sled they ride?

Buchholz56

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2013
Dayton, MN
I started bringing my son at age 13, he was on a 14 rmk 600 144 the first week out and was so-so dealing with the hills and elevation. He's been in deep snow in the UP countless times but struggled with sidhilling whenever there were potential consequences to not holding a line. We've been back three more times and each time he has been significantly more confident and comfortable riding. He's 15 now and on a 15 rmk 800 and is quickly approaching my skill level.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
My daughter grew up riding snowmobiles, first a Yamaha SnoScoot at age 5 to7, then an Indy 400 age 8 to 12, followed by an XC600 with a 136 2 inch track at age 13. She rode the back county fairly well on the Indy 400 and was able to run with most riders on the XC600 in the back county. Because she didn't have the weight or strength to muscle the machines she became very good at thinking and finessing the machine and staying out of trouble, skills which we all can benefit from.

Back to the question: 12 to 13 years old is very doable for a kid with the proper attitude and experience.

Evanbcx

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2015
Newfoundland
Dad first took me when i was 8 into the backcountry but that was in the spring so no fresh snow. I was on a sno scoot. First real powder that I rode in the backcountry was 11 on a renegade 550f

S
Dec 9, 2012
Nebraska
Thanks guys! I've pretty much had dad as my go to riding buddy with the exception of the year he took off after he had a heart attack, and another when he had both shoulders replaced. Last year he tore his tricep tendon at 11000 feet. It took so long to heal after surgery he decided that it was time to hang it up. So I was wondering when the kids could really start going west and enjoying it.

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
Around age 12 for both boys. They are my riding partners every time.

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I doubled my boys starting at 6 in the mountains and let them ride by themselves in safe meadows. By 9 they were riding their own sleds. Make sure you get them Techvests and Avy bags... I would ride first to pick easy lines and my buddy would ride clean up to ensure they were ok. Best sled buddies and memories ever! Worth every dime and WAY cheaper than rehab for a wayward teen...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
My kids have been riding the backcountry since they were 2. Start riding there own sleds about at 5 (Yamaha bravo) and move up to bigger sleds as they progress and grow. Bravos can get around unbelievably well if you make a track for them. One word of advice is don’t go cheap on their gear. Kids love to snowmobile if they are warm and dry.

walker

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
My son is eleven this year

My son has been riding since age 7. This year he is 11,took him riding for the first time this year. His riding skill improve 100% over last year. He is side hilling. Climbing some big hills. We rode the back country all day. He bulked u p over the summer made a big difference.

20171209_120934.jpg

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I took my son on his first ride at 18 months. It was short and quick.
He kept wanting to go from then on. We doubled up on alot of trips to the hills.
I think he climbed Mount Jefferson with me about age 6. Hanging on to the mountain bar like a champ. I started putting him on his own sled about age 10. We rode in the mountains but had to tone down the lines though the terrain for his skill level. As he kept getting better I kept getting him stuck in more difficult terrain.

He is 20 now and my daughter is 17. Both of them love to go ride and I get in trouble when I go on an occasional ride without them. I push them and their riding skill. There are places they won't follow me and they will pick their own lines or just wait for me to come back to them.
Be smart about it when you ride with your kids or younger riders. Take the time to tailor the ride to them. It doesn't have to be steep and deep with adrenaline pounding runs every trip. Help them learn and you'll have riding partners for life.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Our 2 boys, now 11 and almost 15, have been in the backcountry with us since they were babies. Oldest rode up front first in one of those harness deals and then later both kids spent years in a Sno coach hooked to the back. Younger one would just fall asleep all day in his car seat in the Sno coach.
Both graduated to riding their own sleds at 7-8 years old and have got to experience the Rockies, Cascades and the Talkeetna mountains.
We don't get out enough for them to be proficient side hillers, unfortunately. But the time spent, as limited as it is, is awesome!
One of them I know will continue to share the same passion that I do. And no better riding buddies than taking a day with the kids.
It's great to watch them learn to be resourceful, like couple years ago when they weren't strong enough to start their own sleds by themselves, working together when they "lost" dad. (I was watching from a little ways away)
To see them help each other dig out a stuck sled or watch them lead the way in AND back out of the mountains is heart warming for me. Means they're not just video game drones!

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Kids will be as good and capable as you allow them to be, seen some kids at age 7-8 out ride 15 year olds in the mountains .
If they have been on sleds all their life same with Dirt bikes.
When it comes to Kids the big kids--That is you and me--make all the difference for the young Kids. Quit being selfish
( it's not all about you) and work with them and they will improve faster than you can imagine, and in no time you will play catch up with the kids. It's not age its time on as sled that matters. There is nothing more rewarding than riding with the kids you have brought up in the sport and watch them do well.

S
Dec 9, 2012
Nebraska
Our oldest just turned 8. Biggest hurdle is we don't get the snow here anymore. So there's not much time to spend on a sled regularly for him, and it's 8 hours to the snowies. That's why I was curious when other kids were able to really go. getting stuck isn't a big deal, but having the physical strength to just ride off trail is.

gilestyle1

Lifetime Membership
Aug 24, 2013
heber, utah
started riding my own sled when I was about 10. started on a old Polaris indy. moved to a 2002 skidoo 800 when I was 15. moved to an m7 when I was 18. an m6 would be perfect for young kids or any newer 600

Premium Features