• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Somebody Forgot Something....

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
While I am sure that some dealers are able to give out demo's for warranty issues, there is no way there are enough demo's to give out to every guy that has an issue. Motor vehicles yes, because there is lots of them available.

As far as replacing with a new one, who is eating the sales tax on the second sled?? The dealer, good luck on that one.

I don’t believe it is a common issue, certainly not typical, so that many demo units shouldn’t be necessary. If we need an over abundance of demo units, then we all need to look for another brand perhaps. I think you are a little off base here. This is a 17 mile unit- not one with several hundred miles of being hammered. I’m not proposing that the dealer assign a demo unit to every Tom, Dick, and Harry that comes through the door that has a warranty issue, but that he take appropriate care of a customer that has 17 freaking miles on his sled! Get it?

As far as sales tax, what is that? We are in Oregon- no sales tax. ?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Dealer relationship drives how he gets treated here. If the dealer is a dic and the service tech isn't much better, take it to a better dealer to start a new relationship. Buyer can't be a tool, either. Warranty is universal - there are good dealers out there.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
BRP made a clutch holder for the non-p drive clutches so that you could torque them down without the use of straps/large screwdrivers etc.

Goodwin/Kimpex/Bikeman/Straightline etc all make a holder for the new clutch.

N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Ok, here is the latest: Friend asked for another sled or his money back. Dealer approached BRP and dealer stated they laughed at his request. True, false, or otherwise, we will never know. 17 FREAKING MILES ON THE SLED!!!! It was confirmed that it was an assembly line issue at the factory. Boys, check your primary bolt!

So... the dealer, SK Northwest, says it is warranty and a new bottom end for the motor. That obviously means some underpaid shop monkey has to disassemble the brand new motor. Dunno about you folks, but I have NEVER let a shop work on my sleds. I know there are a lot of great techs out there, but there are plenty of bad as well. I would at least demand a new crate motor- complete.

Any bets on when he will get back on the snow? My bet is for February at the earliest. Maybe we should start a pool for this?

I won't throw SK under the bus too far yet, but they haven't offered a demo sled or anything. In my opinion, in this case, with only 17 miles on the machine, the dealer needs to buy it back. If he doesn't he is a total dickwad.

I will keep all posted on the outcome here.

Look up your state's lemon law. It would qualify in AK if they can't fix it within 30 days.

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
Update from my buddy: The dealer (SK Northwest) states he will have it back together on or before December 8th. He gave his word. This is with a new complete crate motor straight off of the BRP assembly line. The dealer said he had to go quite a way up the ladder to make this happen. My buddy had to get on the dealer a little to make this happen from the sounds of it.

When the machine was originally delivered, I advised my friend to make certain they regeared and clutched the machine for the 2" track. They claimed no clutch changes necessary. I claimed BS. They let it out the door without clutching it for the 2" track, although they regeared it (it is a Renny Backcountry). Now, after my buddy found out there are clutching changes necessary (duh), from another dealer, SK is going to re-clutch it for him as well, at no charge, as this should have been done at original delivery. Dealers... One reason I was always happy to get my sleds in the crates every year on the race program.

So... this seems like a reasonable outcome for this situation. The dealer is doing the right thing, although I am not sure he would have without some pushback. I will update when the 8th arrives....

BIG64N

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Centralia WA
The owner should have been able to hear that thing flopping like a fish outta water and caught it before destroying the engine, clutch, and sled. IMO

Not to mention it running like a 340 fanner with all the wasted motion and slipping.

I have had two different secondaries and one primary come loose in 30 years of riding and have been with two different sleds that had a primary come off. None of us felt the primary come loose but I felt both of the secondaries so my opinion is that the primaries stay balanced enough as the bolt backs out and then let loose all at once while the secondaries seem to steadily loosen and start to vibrate more and more.
For what my experience is worth...

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
Sorry for the late update.....Crappy snow this year so I have been focusing on other things- like my bikes.

The dealer, SK Northwest, came through and had the sled repaired by the date promised. In addition, an extra year of warranty was given as well as a good discount on PG&A for the rest of the season.

I applaud the dealer for taking care of the customer the right way. Kudos to SK Northwest!! This is a great example of how a dealer should take care of the customer.

Premium Features