• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 900 Help Needed

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
Need some help please. Here's the details on my son's sled. He bought this on a salvage auction last spring. Its an 06 motor but was sold as an 05 so not sure if that was a mistake or what. Tunnel has been replaced and there is no OE VIN. Seems to start and run fine until you get to about 3/4 throttle. It cuts out and loses power. It does not fall flat on its face, but is definitely not running full power after 3/4 throttle. It has been flashing codes 3, sometimes 7, and 10. But it only flashes the code once and moves on to the next. When it runs one cycle of the codes, it stops flashing any codes.

We've replaced plugs, TPS pigtail, and TPS. TPS set correctly.

Here's what I've checked:
Fuel pressure is good both when using a power supply and when running. I tested continuity on the stator and it is also good. Should I check voltage output from the stator, and if so, how is this done?

I suspect it may be a fuel issue and subsequently an injector. How do the 2 injectors per cylinder work? In parallel or sequential? Can you test the injectors without pulling the engine?

Another thought - there was enough 05 parts on this sled when we bought it (fuel pump, for example) that we are questioning whether or not it has an 05 ECU. Not sure if they were the same between 05/06 and if they would even work together, but just trying to rule that out also.

Thanks - Matt

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
What is your fuel pressure?

If I remember correctly, the 06 motor needs more fuel pressure than the 05

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
fuel pressure

Correct - I have 115 psi which is good according to the manual.

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
yes, have thoroughly cleaned exhaust valves and replaced the bellows. And yes, it is definitely an 06 motor it has 4 injectors. That's why I'm curious on the function of the 4 injector system. Code 7 failure tells me that they operate in serial, not parallel, and possibly an injector problem?

Have you checked the exhaust valves by chance? You sure that you have an 06 motor? 06 had 4 injectors and 05 had 2 injectors.

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
ECU

In addition, I pulled the ECU last night and the sticker with model and serial number is gone, so I have no idea how to tell if it is the correct ECU. Would an 06 run on an 05 ECU? At least how its running now?

I wonder if I should have the dealer check out the ECU and just reflash it?

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
ECU

Update - my local Polaris dealer said they need to know the ECU part number in order to reflash it. Since my ECU part number sticker is gone I have no way to verify which one it is. Can anyone verify this is accurate from my dealer? I don't want to buy another ECU unless I have to. Thanks.

In addition, I pulled the ECU last night and the sticker with model and serial number is gone, so I have no idea how to tell if it is the correct ECU. Would an 06 run on an 05 ECU? At least how its running now?

R
Dec 17, 2006

No a 05 is not the same as a 06 ECU different programs for the four injectors

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Update - my local Polaris dealer said they need to know the ECU part number in order to reflash it. Since my ECU part number sticker is gone I have no way to verify which one it is. Can anyone verify this is accurate from my dealer? I don't want to buy another ECU unless I have to. Thanks.

your dealer should be able to just plug in to it and get the information with the digital wrench software.

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
My dealer is a putz. He's telling me he can't do that without the ECU part number, which I thought was weird. Plus, they are three plus weeks out now and I'm not gonna wait that long. I found a used ECU that came out of a stock 06 with yellow injectors.

your dealer should be able to just plug in to it and get the information with the digital wrench software.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Based on your symptoms, I would say you may have a bad powervalve solenoid. My friend had issues with his sled stumbling at 6500 RPM (or about 3/4 throttle when on a climb) and after several attempts to diagnose the issue, we wound up blocking off the powervalve bypass hoses and that solved the stumble. They've been blocked off for about 5 yrs now and no issues. I don't believe it was throwing a code as I recall.

That's my idea.

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
Well I'm willing to try it. Can you explain exactly how the block off is done?

Thanks - Matt

Based on your symptoms, I would say you may have a bad powervalve solenoid. My friend had issues with his sled stumbling at 6500 RPM (or about 3/4 throttle when on a climb) and after several attempts to diagnose the issue, we wound up blocking off the powervalve bypass hoses and that solved the stumble. They've been blocked off for about 5 yrs now and no issues. I don't believe it was throwing a code as I recall.

That's my idea.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Should find it in the stickies !! Basically you want to open lines to exhaust valves from solenoid..quick test.
May also check EGT sensor for correct reading...

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
I couldn't find it in the stickies, but would be happy to make one if I can figure this out. As I understand it I want to cap the vacuum line in between the T off the valves and the solenoid. What about the nipples off the exhaust valves? should they be capped too?

Should find it in the stickies !! Basically you want to open lines to exhaust valves from solenoid..quick test.
May also check EGT sensor for correct reading...

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
I plugged the exhaust valves and there was no change to the operating symptoms, but am now consistently getting codes 7 and 10 immediately after I let off throttle on a WOT. Both suggest stator in the code lookup. I have not inspected the stator but will do that next. And plugs look ok, maybe a little rich.

That's my idea.

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
Would a damaged stator wire still allow for a good ohm test? I've tested the stator at the plug and it tested fine.

CK wiring harness at stator? Once found rivet had slipped into mine..caused a headache!

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Would a damaged stator wire still allow for a good ohm test? I've tested the stator at the plug and it tested fine.

Any thing is possible.

I have had Cat stator's test good until I put them in a toaster oven to warm them up, then they would test bad. Once cooled off they would test good again.

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
I've experienced similar issues to yours in three instances:
1. bad TPS - no codes but stumbling at about 3/4 throttle. Sometimes would go through it if you backed off and hit it again.
2. bad TPS pigtail - no codes but stumbling at random locations of throttle.
3. flywheel inner sheath coming free and cutting into the stator wires - codes (don't recall which they were) and stumbling (don't recall throttle position but likely wasn't only at 3/4). The stator ohmed out fine. I suspect the flywheel separation was grounding the stator out when it was cutting into the wires. Fix was to cut and splice the bad portion of stator wires and to epoxy the inner sheath in place.

In my case it was on a 2005 900.

Good luck.

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
Thank you - my next step is to check out the stator. I have already replaced both the TPS and the pigtail.

I've experienced similar issues to yours in three instances:
1. bad TPS - no codes but stumbling at about 3/4 throttle. Sometimes would go through it if you backed off and hit it again.
2. bad TPS pigtail - no codes but stumbling at random locations of throttle.
3. flywheel inner sheath coming free and cutting into the stator wires - codes (don't recall which they were) and stumbling (don't recall throttle position but likely wasn't only at 3/4). The stator ohmed out fine. I suspect the flywheel separation was grounding the stator out when it was cutting into the wires. Fix was to cut and splice the bad portion of stator wires and to epoxy the inner sheath in place.

In my case it was on a 2005 900.

Good luck.

Premium Features