• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat 2018?

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
Not that I will be in the market, but I'd welcome 850-1000, narrowed plastic and open boards, dropped and rolled for the 3". Basically a mountain cat with proper boards and new power plant.

The extra weight over the others, I don't care. I like rigid and glueless chassis for lugging my fat *** around.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
they better pull something together quick, cant imagine their market share is doing very well with a 6 year old heavy chassis and the popularity of snowbikes taking away market share to boot. and their dealers dropping like flies....

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
The improvements they made in 16 along with the best motor in the industry and toughest chassis is why I bought Cat this year instead of another brand and I am not brand loyal. New motor and chassis are both over due, would imagine you'll see at least one or the other in 18.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
what if its just this new king cat and thats it.
cat needs to take more fit/finish stuff from yamaha imo.
maybe trump could re-work their deal...

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Cats in a great position, they know what Polaris and Skidoo have brought to the table with the Axys and G4 now it's Cats turn to step up. That being said I hope cat has something big for us. The chassis needs to be narrowed up and see a weight loss, very easily achievable just need to stop having a 4stroke/2stroke shared chassis. New 800 needs to make a showing for 2018 along with some other goodies. My list for a 2018 cat would be new 800 (better fuel economy and hp increase), 20lbs weight loss minimum, narrow up the chassis (basically narrow up plastics), new plastic (make hood and side panels easy to take off, integrated storage).

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
The 17 mountain cat is your base chassis. They will add the new ctec-2 engine in 853cc which comes in 14 lbs lighter than the current suzuki platform. This engine is also about 3" narrower. Running boards are further modified from the mountain cat raised and angled to make them perform narrower on sidehills. Body panels because of the narrower engine and new pipe setup are significantly slimmer both in appearance and in actual measurement (1.95" narrower than the mountain cat at widest point). Overall the plastics, intake, and led lights are 11 lbs lighter than the current setup. TKI is in negotiations to build belt drives for these which if that deal is completed in time is a 9 lb reduction plus another 4 lbs in reduced oil capacity. Because the new engine is so much more efficient the fuel tank was reduced by 1.5 gallons which equates to 12 lbs lost. Snowflap, bumpers, and hardware are shaved for an additional 2.5 lbs lost.

Its not all good news tho. Because of the additional power output from the engine the pipe and muffler did require a little extra material so they came in 4 lbs heavier than the 17.

Total net weight loss of 48.5 lbs. Thats a RTR weight of 508 (20 lbs lighter than the 3" axys). Also because the ecu can be easily reprogramed you can do an pipe kit for just the cost of the pipe and be at 490 lbs ready to ride.

I cannot wait to get mine!!!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
The 17 mountain cat is your base chassis. They will add the new ctec-2 engine in 853cc which comes in 14 lbs lighter than the current suzuki platform. This engine is also about 3" narrower. Running boards are further modified from the mountain cat raised and angled to make them perform narrower on sidehills. Body panels because of the narrower engine and new pipe setup are significantly slimmer both in appearance and in actual measurement (1.95" narrower than the mountain cat at widest point). Overall the plastics, intake, and led lights are 11 lbs lighter than the current setup. TKI is in negotiations to build belt drives for these which if that deal is completed in time is a 9 lb reduction plus another 4 lbs in reduced oil capacity. Because the new engine is so much more efficient the fuel tank was reduced by 1.5 gallons which equates to 12 lbs lost. Snowflap, bumpers, and hardware are shaved for an additional 2.5 lbs lost.

Its not all good news tho. Because of the additional power output from the engine the pipe and muffler did require a little extra material so they came in 4 lbs heavier than the 17.

Total net weight loss of 48.5 lbs. Thats a RTR weight of 508 (20 lbs lighter than the 3" axys). Also because the ecu can be easily reprogramed you can do an pipe kit for just the cost of the pipe and be at 490 lbs ready to ride.

motorfist.jpg

F

flex2win

Oct 11, 2009
I've heard some grumblings of an 850+cc Ctec 2 motor as well.

Not that I'm looking to start that rumor in October:face-icon-small-hap

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.

how's the weather in fantasy land:face-icon-small-hap once cat comes out with something new they have a nasty habit of three years worth of fixes and updates to get the bugs out ,

Last edited:

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca

Man I hope your right!! This might keep me off a yellow one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
New ctec 8 was supposed to come out this year but the 600 motor platform didnt work well for the 8. According to my sources, they are redesigning the ctech 8 from the bottom up so they dont have a polaris scenario.

Cant wait to see what comes out from a production model standpoint.

Those above points regarding the chassis do sound pretty promising though... i will be do for a new ride next year.

Premium Features