• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Dying?

G
Jan 15, 2009
Vail
Going on 2500 issue free miles. Took the sled out two weeks ago and found that I could not get over 6000 RPM's. Found the front lower boost tube detached after about 2 miles of riding. Reattached it and checked all other hoses. Now I can't get past 7000 RPM's and normally get to 8200 RPM's. The BRV sounds like its not letting boost release either. More accurate, like its not building much boost. Feels like I've lost 20% of my HP too.

Could my turbo be on the way out? What are the symptoms of a failing turbo?

MikeM1000

Lifetime Membership
Oct 29, 2011
If you have the stock filter start there could be oil soaked. Any other symptoms. Poping backfiring flooded smell?

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Going on 2500 issue free miles. Took the sled out two weeks ago and found that I could not get over 6000 RPM's. Found the front lower boost tube detached after about 2 miles of riding. Reattached it and checked all other hoses. Now I can't get past 7000 RPM's and normally get to 8200 RPM's. The BRV sounds like its not letting boost release either. More accurate, like its not building much boost. Feels like I've lost 20% of my HP too.

Could my turbo be on the way out? What are the symptoms of a failing turbo?
Check fuel filter, and fuel pressure. Turbochargers generally seize fairly abruptly, not really a gradual thing. If you are still using stock clamps on the charge tubes and intake, you may still have a leak, or maybe even a pinhole in one of the hoses.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
Helpful to have a boost gauge. Pinch the small boost reference line off, the one coming off the compressor housing. Without that reference the stock turbo will make 30lbs. If it doesn't then you have a boost leak. This is for test purposes only. Running the motor at 30lbs with not enough fuel for any amount of time is a bad deal. You'll know right away if you are making boost.

Premium Features