• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Bumper poll

New Bumper Design

• light weight but strong enough to lift.

Votes: 62 31.3%
  • Take my chances with stock

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Strong enough to deflect a tree might be 1-2 lb heavier

Votes: 123 62.1%
  • Who needs a bumper new hoods are cheap like 850.00

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Raw aluminum

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Black

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Orange

Votes: 18 9.1%
  • Green

Votes: 12 6.1%

• Total voters

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Not to me, I've never hit ANYTHING.:face-icon-small-con

My take on bumpers is the same as it is on A arms. I want it to take a hit & BREAK, instead of breaking what's behind it. The LAST thing I want is a bumper so strong that it damages the bulkhead in the case of an impact, but itself is undamaged.

Strong enough to lift, but weak enough to fail IM(always humble)O.:D

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Not to me, I've never hit ANYTHING.:face-icon-small-con

My take on bumpers is the same as it is on A arms. I want it to take a hit & BREAK, instead of breaking what's behind it. The LAST thing I want is a bumper so strong that it damages the bulkhead in the case of an impact, but itself is undamaged.

Strong enough to lift, but weak enough to fail IM(always humble)O.:D

Agreed! Also one with a skid plate of some sorts on top of it as well.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Agreed! Also one with a skid plate of some sorts on top of it as well.

If you look at the way the hood comes off, I dont think you can put anything on top of it, it needs to be able to come forward about 1" and then directly up to come off. (or do you mean outside of it, like the Modrods bumper? Not a fan of the plates myself, just want a frame)

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Ok guy's

The bumper I am holding up is designed for an M. I was just looking at what needs to be changed and if i could use any of the parts. When I get done it will strong enough to tow some one out but when I do that I hook to the back bumper never tried the front bumper of a cat. You will be able to lift the sled and should be strong enough to deflect a tree but not bend frame .

Some good points. It should not hit the arms. yep caught that one right away.
Some other points not mentioned. I do not want to have to hold it in place.

Sorry for the last could not refuse . LOL:noidea::noidea:

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
The bumper I am holding up is designed for an M. I was just looking at what needs to be changed and if i could use any of the parts. When I get done it will strong enough to tow some one out but when I do that I hook to the back bumper never tried the front bumper of a cat. You will be able to lift the sled and should be strong enough to deflect a tree but not bend frame .

Some good points. It should not hit the arms. yep caught that one right away.
Some other points not mentioned. I do not want to have to hold it in place.

Sorry for the last could not refuse . LOL:noidea::noidea:

Haha. . . Yeah I thought it looked like you were holding it straight so I couldn't figure out why it went over the a-arms. makes perfect sense now.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I need one that will hold up to a pull by a sno bunjee. I have pulled out a nytro and bent it. I know there will be damage to the stock one if I keep it. Is it better to have a bumper that bends or a sturdy one that could do damage to the front End? The last part is a question.

I always hook my bungee up to the down hill ski. When I tow I hook to both skii's. I have never hooked any thing to the front bumper of any sled.

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
I always hook my bungee up to the down hill ski. When I tow I hook to both skii's. I have never hooked any thing to the front bumper of any sled.

What part of the ski? I have broken a ski loop using it. Cheap to replace I guess. Maybe it was a faulty loop?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
There is no steering though when you tow from the ski's, and it's easy to break a ski loop. I always tow out by the spindles. Solid connection, and you can steer. Wonder how these new spindles will do if you tow off them. Might bind up the steering effort. If this is the case then towing off the front bumper might be nice if it's sturdy enough and won't put too much stress on the bulkhead.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
The lower the pulling point the more it will make the sled want to stay on top of te snow, we usually break trail into where we ride so pulling from a bumper equal height as the tow sled will make the sled not pull as nice through the fluff. But shouldnt be an issue down the trail.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
What part of the ski? I have broken a ski loop using it. Cheap to replace I guess. Maybe it was a faulty loop?

I have pulled out alot of sleds. The only time I have ever broke a ski loop (actually a friend did it) was a older rmk edge chassie. it had some slp slt I believe skis on it. One ski loop broke in 6 years of sleding and useing the bungee cord we use. Probably pulled out a stuck sled well over 100 times.
A friend of mine has ben bungee jumping forever and has his own business bungee jumping. We tested with several different cords, number of cords, and length for a few winters to come up with what we use now. One end is tied to the bumper. it wraps around the spare gas can and the other end attaches back to the bumper with a big aluminium carabiner. Go to pull some one out and just unhook it from bumper and put the carabiner on the ski loop. quick, easy, and it will not come off/unhooked. Learn how to do it correctly and you can pull just about any thing out easily. Saves alot of time and energy spent diging out sleds.

Last edited:
J

jeffwmc54

Mar 21, 2011
yakima Wa
Does the retro come with the sport bumper? When I'm boondocken I run over all kinds of small trees and bellypans have always been the first thing that goes on before the first ride! On my Polaris I bent tons of a-arms, some by hitting things and others by just jumping! I definitely will be buying something beefy but I want it to look good also, I like the idea of it with a loop or sticking out on the sides to grab onto, but 300 plus big ones is tough to swallow!

Premium Features