• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boost-it XIC controller on Dragon

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
Anyone ever run a boost it xic on boondocker dragon kit?
Do they require a RR VPR?
Do all XIC controllers compensate for elevation.?
I'm getting tired of changing numbers on my boony box halfway up a climb lol.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Anyone ever run a boost it xic on boondocker dragon kit?
Do they require a RR VPR?
Do all XIC controllers compensate for elevation.?
I'm getting tired of changing numbers on my boony box halfway up a climb lol.

Don't know about a dragon, but rr vpr? You mean rising rate fuel pressure regulator? If your fuel injected you probably don't need to worry about it, (unsure) I know my kit on the pro they installed a fuel pressure regulator off a yamaha apex and it runs lower than stock pressure, however connect a line to it and it does rise 1 psi per 1 psi of boost above it.

The fuel controller it's self has a parameter for elevation trim so that may correct your issue. It's intended for external injectors, when I talked to the guys at boost it their newest boxes also had something added to more actively compensate for elevation as you ride. It does have a wire as well to hook up your O2, maybe it was something to do with using the o2 to keep the a/f good.

On my yamaha I had I set it and never touched it after really for where I had ridden it, but I can't say I have extensive usage of mine in various elevations ad I ride around 5-6 often so it's not needing to adjust much.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Boost it will work on your dragon, the o2 wire is for hooking up a o2 sensor to read afr and have an alarm for out of range afr ratio, it does not compensate for elevation but on mine I was setup for 4-7k I never touched it unless the odd time I hit 8500 I would have to adjust my main fuel down by a couple points, then switched to altitude compensating boost controller from a manual and left it alone all the time

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
There is a used boondocker kit that comes with a model 1000 XIC.
The kit comes with a "reflashed" 800 turbo ecu. Which seems unlikely to be anything more than maybe an 08 or 09 type map.
Anybody have any thoughts on that?
And mine is 700.

So yours must have did a pretty good job of adjustimg fuel with elevation.
But you mean some don't have boost compensation?

I could leave my boondocker on to adjust down low off boost.
But run zeros in the psi section.

So I've read that some boost-it pros ran with a fuel reg some didn't.
Neil posted in the past he had maps for both.
Ive also read that some boondocker kits were converted to other controllers
With good results for eliminating low end bog.

X
Oct 8, 2009
The Boost it xic will work very well for a factory motor sled that has the AFR sensor in steady state. However, that means the factory computer must be able to run the base NA fuel map. To do that, the motor must be stock. Otherwise, you have to run a 3rd computer to compensate for the VE gains of a modded motor. I have done both. In short, the boost it can only compensate for boost; it can also do baro if it is setup to do so. Baro is used to compensate for elevation and barometric changes. The XIC is a very capable fuel controller if you take the time to set it up correctly and spend the money to do so. If the boondocker is not effective for NA tuning, you can use a PCV to run the base map as I did. It greatly simplifies things since it can rough in the base map on its own with the auto tuner upgrade. Effectively, auto tune runs similar to a standalone always changing to optimise afr targets.

Last edited:

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
Thanks for the replies.

My motor is stock other than the turbo.
Like the XIC the boondocker box is really only there for adding fuel under boost. At least as far as boondocker is concerned because they never recomended running anything but zeros in the off boost section.
It runs terrible like that.

On the xic and some other controllers there is a map sensor that will read vaccum? The boondocker box uses a pressure transducer so it won't?
Which must have an effect on the ability to tune when boost fuel is added.
So if it likes to be richened up or leaned out as it approaches zero. We can tune that on the XIC. And it's independent of throttle position and rpm?

Xpturbo600 you say the XIC is very capable if you spend the time and money. Does that mean it may take dyno time to tune because of the complexity?
The elevation tuning on the XIC all has to be tuned?
Or is there a map in it that chsnges it a certain % every so many feet?
Or am I simply getting the box to save a fuel number so next time I'm at 6000 feet again it uses that number I tuned last time.

Anyone know about boondocker Super tuner stuff on the Dragon box?
Like ABCDEF modes.
On a Arctic cat one of those changed how boost fuel is added.
What ever thst means exactly.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Thanks for the replies.

My motor is stock other than the turbo.
Like the XIC the boondocker box is really only there for adding fuel under boost. At least as far as boondocker is concerned because they never recomended running anything but zeros in the off boost section.
It runs terrible like that.

On the xic and some other controllers there is a map sensor that will read vaccum? The boondocker box uses a pressure transducer so it won't?
Which must have an effect on the ability to tune when boost fuel is added.
So if it likes to be richened up or leaned out as it approaches zero. We can tune that on the XIC. And it's independent of throttle position and rpm?

Xpturbo600 you say the XIC is very capable if you spend the time and money. Does that mean it may take dyno time to tune because of the complexity?
The elevation tuning on the XIC all has to be tuned?
Or is there a map in it that chsnges it a certain % every so many feet?
Or am I simply getting the box to save a fuel number so next time I'm at 6000 feet again it uses that number I tuned last time.

Anyone know about boondocker Super tuner stuff on the Dragon box?
Like ABCDEF modes.
On a Arctic cat one of those changed how boost fuel is added.
What ever thst means exactly.

I don't have a manual handy but it would be useful to check out the xic manual to get an idea on its features.

Elevation trim is numbers or a percentage of overall fuel I believe, it's every 1000 feet I believe, so you can help trim the overall fuel in each elevation bracket.

The boost/pressure sensor will read vacuum, you can indeed choose when it'll start to kick in as far as how much vacuum / boost.

It has the main fuel adjustment then you can tweak approx every 500 rpm from 3000 rpm I believe? Up to like 12000, so for each range you can add or pull some fuel. I find the box works great. Again it's only for external injectors, some boondocker kits utilized the stock injectors so it also tweak the n/a fueling I believe.

Overall i put one on my yamaha apex from an mcx and tuned it from the ground up, ran really good, took me. About a half hour or so then after that it was the fine tweaks but pretty user friendly box.

X
Oct 8, 2009
No and yes regarding vacuum. The xic also only uses a pressure sensor, but it reads absolute pressure, not gauge pressure. Therefore, it can interpret vacuum from absolute pressure, and it can adjust for changes in baro due to weather or elevation. You can tune it on the mountain. You just need to be very familiar with the controller. It has global fuel setups that you start with...then, you can move toward rpm based fuel trims as you dial it in per rpm using a wideband to clean up trouble spots. Dynos are optimal, but they are not required.

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
Anyone know if the tmap intercepter was used on all versions of the xic?
In reading some posts it appears it was used on the first pro kits.
So I think this box has the capability?
Do the intercepter and elevation compensation go hand in hand?
The way I would understand the intercepter, is once the XIC is reading boost it sends a constant signal to stock ecu. In doing so the stock ecu stops monkeying around with the tune at this point. Which would make the elevation trims less troublesome to tune?
Thanks for the Info

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
The way I would understand the intercepter, is once the XIC is reading boost it sends a constant signal to stock ecu. In doing so the stock ecu stops monkeying around with the tune at this point. Which would make the elevation trims less troublesome to tune?
Thanks for the Info

They went away from t map interceptor setups few years ago and I think that's when they started using Baro sensor but don't quote me on that. When I put boost it on my pro and asked for tmap they didn't use it anymore

X
Oct 8, 2009
Thanks for the Info

That is not what happens. For the xic you solder in a resistor that puts the afr in steady state so the computer thinks fueling is perfect all the time. It will adjust for everything else like normal, but the stock ecu cannot trim for lean fuel. Then, the xic is tuned to manage boost and fuel trim. A baro sensor is a much better way to go because if you tune the ecu correctly, it will make all the mass flow adjustments from that point on. You run into constant retuning when something is wrong with the tune or you have a tuner that cannot read all the inputs baro, temp, etc.

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
So the changes in boost-it setups, had more to do with how they used the XIC. Not necessarily the capilbility of the XIC changing.
The company SDS that builds the XIC.
Are they still in business? Are they still building the XIC for other applications?

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
So the changes in boost-it setups, had more to do with how they used the XIC. Not necessarily the capilbility of the XIC changing.
The company SDS that builds the XIC.
Are they still in business? Are they still building the XIC for other applications?

Ya google them they got a website

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
Ya I looked around the site. I have seen other companies have a site up but are not operating. I see now there are some real recent updates on it. I wonder if they will supply manual.

Does the xic have the map sensor inside it with a rubber hose attached
directly to it. Or is there an oem style tmap sensor?
Or is the temp separate?
Is there a second tmap sensor that isn't placed in the charge tube? Like how
the power commander PTI is setup?
Just wondering what it should come with for parts. .

X
Oct 8, 2009
The xic runs a map sensor internally with tube ran to the unit, or it can be upgraded to run an external map sensor if needed. The stock sensor is good to around 22 psi depending on elevation. It does not do temp adjustments since that correction is left to the factory computer. Yes, the company still exists though they do not provide much regarding support at the point i called them. That was left to boost it, which has went out of business. When I spoke with the owner of the company that makes the xic, he was very helpful. Call him directly and you wont have to make so many posts. He can answer questions all at once.

ez-ryder

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Dawson Creek B.C.
The 3 Pro's that we had never hit Det in 4 days of riding. We credit this to our new Tmap intercepter that allows the factory ecu to read boost and add extra fuel to the stock injectors the split second that boost is detected. This way the top end gets the fuel that is needed when the throttle is opened quickly.

Posted by Neil in 2012

Premium Features