• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skinny Running Boards Required With Mountain Cat

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have a 2015 Proclimb with the TKI Mountain Cat kit with 8 tooth drivers a 3" x 153" Powerclaw track and now I have the 1 1/8" longer chain case.

I went ahead and ordered the B&M skinny running boards for the sled but, now I am being told that with the taller stance of the Mountain Cat, the need to swap to skinny running boards isn't nearly as necessity because the sled sits so much higher than a stock sled and isn't nearly as prone to panel out as before.

I'm a decent rider but not don't spend my day sidehilling by any stretch. I might do it a several times a season but, that's about it. Now after watching the install videos I am starting to wonder if it's worth cutting up my stock running boards to put on the skinny boards?

Thoughts?

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I don't see how it sits that much higher. I did the skinny boards last year and the dropped drive shaft this year. If you could install the dropped chain case you won't have any trouble with the boards. On a steep sidehill it is very noticeable going from a skinny cat to original boards.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Front suspension arm is in the same place.

Rear suspension arm is in the same place.

You didn't change your spindles/front end.

IE: mountain cat is not 'higher up'

You already have the boards, so what's your concern? Maybe want some more foot room? I've got the skinny boards and there's still plenty of room.

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I had the standard width on the 13 just got done putting the skinny boards on my 14 haven't road it yet but the skinny boards do require a little more work since you have to suck the belly pan and side panels in. For me on my 13 with the b&m boards on it made the sled a lot more ridgid and require less rider input because the running boards didn't flex. Snow evac and traction I felt we're a lot better then the stock boards too. I guess if I was you i would prob put them on you'll basically have turned your 15 into a 17 mountain cat minus the shocks and rear suspension.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks guys! Yes, the running boards are out of the box and on my bench and I just wanted to do a sanity check before proceeding. I can handle the job but, a very wise one told me that I was basically going to be wasting my time by adding the skinny boards.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Whoever told you that needs the sanity check.

You have them already. That alone is reason to use them.

Once you get them on you'll see you don't really NEED to pull the panels in that far.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Thanks guys! Yes, the running boards are out of the box and on my bench and I just wanted to do a sanity check before proceeding. I can handle the job but, a very wise one told me that I was basically going to be wasting my time by adding the skinny boards.

I doubt you will notice any difference if you dont do much sidehilling in steep terrain. Of course the BMs will shed snow better and be more rigid, but they are a fair amount of work to install.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
one thing on skinny boards in general, it will take a small amount more rider input to pull the sled over due to rules of leverage. more rigid boards will transfer rider input more efficiently no doubt. I cant feel that stock beefy tunnel roll on my cat flex at all but maybe it does. id throw them on more for the fact they will hang you up less in deep powder. Polaris has always had skinnier boards. ive seen polaris' with wider aftermarket boards sidehilling like no other before also.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Truth be told the narrower setup really only matters in stiffer snow.

And even then only when you really are trying to stick to STEEP sidehills.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
You should slap some sense back into that not so wise person.
What you have done has absolutely done nothing that would effect board height or effectiveness.
There is a reason the axys, mountain cat and all 18's have narrow boards.
For mountain technical ridding!

Id like to know what idiot said that because the only way you won't feel the difference where you ride is if you keep both skis on the ground.
Your playground used to be my playground and skinny boards are going to give you extra ability which will raise confidence. You will be glad.

As far as them being harder, well you can either be able to sidehill steeper slopes or not, nothing hard there just facts

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Truth be told the narrower setup really only matters in stiffer snow.

And even then only when you really are trying to stick to STEEP sidehills.

That's a very misleading statement.
Define stiff, where he lives they will play a huge factor for 90+% of snow conditions he rides in.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Define stiff,

StiffER = spring snow, old settled snow, stuff that doesn't get pushed out of the way by sidepanels as easily, not blower powder

Surely you've seen it ;)

Frosty:
About the only negative there is to the narrower boards is that you'll get some gaps in in your plastic from bending the belly sides in. I put some lightweight weather stripping in there and don't get any snow intrusion anymore. You really can lean the sled harder with them though.

Last edited:

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I like the increased rider input because of the rigidity(is that a word?). Just a much better feel. I didn’t like the flex from the stock boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
It seems fairly unanimous, I will go ahead and install the skinny boards. After all, I was an aircraft structural repair technician on B-52 bombers so it shouldn't be too difficult. I also did boards on my M8, so I have some experience with this. Thanks for the input guys.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Haha! I've installed 3 sets on bm fab boards (since back before they were cool ;)) and can tell you this.........installing boards is nothing compared to putting that damn dropped case on.

Boards are cake man. Don't even sweat it. You've already done the gnarly stuff.

Premium Features