• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Suspension Tuning

D
Nov 27, 2017
Colorado
Just a quick disclaimer here, it's been 10+ years since my last sled. Just got the first ride in on my '18 Summit SP, looking for any tips on what I can expect for tuning the suspension. I will eventually upgrade, but I figured I'd better re-learn how to ride first! Thanks!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Depending on rider weight I could suggest a few things.

The stock doo skid setup is WAY to wheelie friendly and really prevents the sled from using its full potential going up a hill.

Limiter strap up 1 hole helps this a ton without making it plow aruond and be super ski heavy.

Rear torsion springs usually on the highest setting unless your <150# the stock springs are not very strong and easily allow too much weight transfer, so again, too much wheelie. Also they bottom out super easy which makes things a little harsh bouncing up and down the mountains.

D
Nov 27, 2017
Colorado
I am ~190#, 6'-0" all geared up. Colorado mountain riding, predominately hills and trees. Again, for all intents and purposes consider me a new rider so I would be looking for an ease of learning setup over a more specialized tune.

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
Just a quick disclaimer here, it's been 10+ years since my last sled. Just got the first ride in on my '18 Summit SP, looking for any tips on what I can expect for tuning the suspension. I will eventually upgrade, but I figured I'd better re-learn how to ride first! Thanks!

Thanks for asking this... I’ve been wondering the same thing. I’m around 215 all geared up and recently cranked all springs to their highest settings. I wish there was a setting to lb chart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D
Nov 27, 2017
Colorado
Also, is there anywhere I could do a quick lesson on what each of the tunable components are responsible for (limiter strap & coupler block)? Thanks again!

Last edited:

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
Also, is there anywhere I could do a quick lesson on what each of the tunable components are responsible for (limiter strap & coupler block)? Thanks again!

Owner's manual is a great place to start. I learned quite a bit about maintenance schedules, settings based on altitude, etc. Been almost 15 years since I owned a sled so I needed it.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I have a 17, 154 and it will definitely wheelie when you least want it to. As said above, stiffen the rear springs, I installed the adjustable limiter strap. Hole 3 is stock so I set mine on 2-4 Two is fun but 4 is more realistic. I have my ski shocks on about second from soft. I think it's personal preference but I prefer the setup softer.

srfink

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2013
Great Falls, MT
Hey LoneViper, Did you install the adjustable limiter strap yourself? I bought one, but haven't installed yet. Looks fairly easy, but???

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
I heard they make Öhlins set in Sweden for these! Buddy ordered, 2000euros for a hole set! Nice.

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
Hey LoneViper, Did you install the adjustable limiter strap yourself? I bought one, but haven't installed yet. Looks fairly easy, but???

It's not difficult at all, just take your time. Make sure you print out the template and measure it to make sure it's to scale before drilling any holes.

A few things I noticed.

1. The actual orientation of the "lever" on the bars is shown backwards in the instructions. It can be installed as shown but the words will be upside down when looking at it while riding. I actually found pics on the web with it installed both ways so pick your preference.
  2. When you get to the point in the instructions for actually installing the new strap they're kinda lacking. I had to fiddle around with it for a while to understand exactly how to install it. Here is where a pic would be very valuable.
  3. I routed my cable slightly different than shown to provide a little more "slack". There is a spring cartridge along the cable path that needs to be able to suck in cable sheathing when things are froze up. I can show a pic of that too if you would like.

Give me a shout if you need any help/photos of installed condition.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I checked Ohlin's website and there is nothing there. You have any info or contact info on these?

Thanks
Mike

Ohlins website probably recognizes that you're looking at it from the north america.

They definitely exist. Or at least did for a short time.

Bret-SkiDoo.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features