• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Clutching

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
So is there any chatter out there on how the 2018 clutching is preforming?
Are they holding RPM or still over revving? Thoughts on belts? New gearing good or bad?

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
I've only got 35 trail miles on my 175 in 18"-24" of untracked fresh powder, so my experience is limited. I was running the 165/295 secondary spring from HRSS, but everything else was stock. Clutching felt strong and super responsive, but I was pulling 8100 rpm with the clicker setting recommended by Doo for my elevation. Not sure how much the different secondary spring affected RPM. Gearing felt good.

I don't know how hot the 17's were, but I am a little concerned about the primary clutch temperature. It was noticeably hotter than the Axys I was running with. Not blister you fingers hot, but I could only put my hand on the clutch for a second or so. Hotter than I had hoped for just a break-in ride. I also had a black mark on the lower third of the primary. I'm going to install ZRP Tail Stander weights for the next ride to see if the black mark goes away and hopefully a little cooler temps. Secondary temps weren't bad. I have removed the felt from the clutch cover and done the Rasmussen mod to the bottom 2".

One thing to check if you haven't already is make sure you can loosen the clicker bolt with the tools will have with you on the hill. I tried using the wrench on the clutch cover while I was on the hill, and there was no way. When I got home I had to use a 3/8" drive because it was so tight and there was a fairly loud "pop" when it finally came loose. Also, the clicker bolt is a 4mm hex head. The tool on the clutch cover is a torx drive, and it will work if the bolt isn't too tight. But if it is like mine was you can strip out the bolt head using that tool.

Last edited:

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
Could be. I wish I could have adjusted the clickers to get RPM down where it should have been to see if it made a difference.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
the new pivot bolts are the 25 torx vs 4 mm allen from last year...

the 165/295 QRS spring is a good one (mine lol) and will give you rpm...

now for fun try a 170/350 pdrive spring (stock 200/400 is dummmmm) and adjustable pivot bolt kit to fine tune...

otherwise I have in sled adjustable weights includes tools to access weights to get the tip weight needed to pull-BJ

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Anybody run ski doo sea level kit on the 2018 models ? How does it work?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I adjusted my clickers in the shop for the first time. Thank God I did because it would have sucked out in the field for the first time. I will do the same on my 18.

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
question

I am not the most mechanical, but can you change the pivot bolt without worrying about anything dropping out?

just asking so i know what i am doing when i make a run to very high elevation areas.

thanks
tim

FearMyWrX

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2015
Auburn, WA
Anybody run ski doo sea level kit on the 2018 models ? How does it work?

I have the sea level kit on my sled (it was ordered like that from the dealer) and yesterday I was riding at 6,000.

I was concerned I wouldn’t be able to hit desired RPMs. My max tach said I hit 8050. My clickers are set to 5.

There’s no doubt there’d be improvement going aftermarket, or maybe even high elevation. I could use improved backshift however.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I have the sea level kit on my sled (it was ordered like that from the dealer) and yesterday I was riding at 6,000.

I was concerned I wouldn’t be able to hit desired RPMs. My max tach said I hit 8050. My clickers are set to 5.

There’s no doubt there’d be improvement going aftermarket, or maybe even high elevation. I could use improved backshift however.

How low of a elevation have you run the machine at? And did it work fine there?

FearMyWrX

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2015
Auburn, WA
How low of a elevation have you run the machine at? And did it work fine there?

Yeah, the sea level kit is for 0-4000. I was presently surprised I was able to hit RPM at 6000. Lowest I’ve ran it at was 2500; it rips wayyyy hard there.

It was really my first time riding hard off the trails and I didn’t do any extended full pinned hill climbs so couldn’t watch my RPM other than referencing my max tach feature. I hear there’s like a 200p rpm spike on it tho?

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Yeah, the sea level kit is for 0-4000. I was presently surprised I was able to hit RPM at 6000. Lowest I’ve ran it at was 2500; it rips wayyyy hard there.

It was really my first time riding hard off the trails and I didn’t do any extended full pinned hill climbs so couldn’t watch my RPM other than referencing my max tach feature. I hear there’s like a 200p rpm spike on it tho?

I don’t know on the spike but hardly ever run above 4,000 feet so good to hear on your findings thanks.

FearMyWrX

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2015
Auburn, WA
Yeah, I read on the forums here (so it much be true right) that the Max Rpm gauge spikes, but actually rpms are lower.

Kind of makes sense tho, you hit max rpm, then it levels off and holds a bit lower. Hard for me to watch the tach and terrain at the same time. I have a hard enough time trying not to hit trees as it is

I may switch clutch ramps, springs, or helix at some point but so far I’m happy.

Last edited:

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Anyone blowing belts ? Few of the BC guys hitting the early November snow have, looks like the belt issue is not 100% fixed but is better then 2017.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Have 80 miles on 175 so far, rpms been fairly constant between 78-7900 and its on clicker three, doing 50mph track speed at 6500 feet

We were in four feet of fresh and sled I could here would loose a little rpm up top once jumping out of hard PAC to fresh, like a lazy backshift..

This 175 is a little much for the 850, can here and feel track speed constantly changing threw a climb, in the snow we were in.. but I will say no blown belts we seen on the 18-850s we were with over the three days

Love the shot system, cool mod brp

S
Jan 24, 2017
Missoula, MT
I've had no issues with clutching and/or belts and I have about 80 easy trail miles. We don't have much in the way of snow in western MT. What's great though, it's allowed me to break in both of my belts when the steep and deep comes. I really haven't had much of a chance getting the RPMs up yet...conditions are that bad.

Premium Features