• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SHR 880 vs stock bore, uphill drag race.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
So a video of a piped/RB clutched 800 losing by a dozen sled lengths or better just isn't good enough?

If there was 3' of snow it would have been 20+ lengths....

Sigh.....BJ

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
Wyorever, Where did you guys ride today, did you take the turbo out.

Yeah I was on the turbo today. Rode Alpine area and found some great snow. Climbed some stuff today that was just stupid lol.

P.S. That's not the 190 hp sled sitting next to mine, he was stuck at the bottom lol.

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
Surely you took a picture of that? Or some video of the day against the 190 hp cat that was stuck at the bottom.

Funny thing about these posts are if you look at Slims post in a up hill race he claims 7+ lengths then we have the 12 lengths and then if we add deep snow it would be 20 lengths, Slim better send his back in for the 20 length kit!

We didn't. Honestly, I think the clutching was way off and he wasn't much of a rider and didn't seem to care. Properly clutched and set up I believe the sled would've performed much better. That's one of the benefits with BJ, his kits come with everything, and he rides out here regularly testing set ups and what not.

Take it for what its worth. I'm not into the brand bashing and smack talk. Star Valley Ski Doo sells the 872 and it would be very easy for me to drop a sled off and pick it up next week set up, plus I paid full retail for my 880. With that said, I would still choose SHR if and when I do it all again.

M
Dec 10, 2007
BC
The other sled is mine as well... I have no reason to set up and try to fix a race. The stock bore runs good, this is an honest comparison of my personal 880, versus my other sled. Can't speak for other claims, only seen my own.
Just know that once again, I'm a very satisfied SHR customer.

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
I will make a point to come down to fernie for a ride next year. Mine is stock and am interested in a big bore. Just watched trygstad comparison and way too many variables in the video. No discredit but it is what it is. In your video the difference looked to be 100 hp. No offence but the start of each race does not appear like the stocker is trying. If that's truly the difference I am sold.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
These big bore threads are over rated. You get a little more torque out of the $3500 to $5000 your thinking of spending but at the end of the day a properly setup stocker goes ever where the big bore goes.

And yes the big bore pulls a few more sled lengths on the big hills but who really cares anymore ? If all your doing all day is trying to get high marks than ok big bores and turbos have a slight edge. But most riders are boondocking in and out of there favorite riding area and weather you ride Wyoming, Montana , Idaho, Utah, Colorado or BC a properly setup stocker will get the job done.

These newer sleds rip right of the box

DPG

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
Same can be said from the 600 to the 800, a properly setup sled for how you ride and where you ride is the key to any one of these sleds, 600,800,big bore or turbo. So why buy a 800 when a 600 can hang with the 800 when boondocking.
The difference in $ from a 600 to a 800 is about $1900 which is also close to the price from a 800 to the big bore.
It all boils down to what you want, what you can afford and how you ride and tune your sled

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Same can be said from the 600 to the 800, a properly setup sled for how you ride and where you ride is the key to any one of these sleds, 600,800,big bore or turbo. So why buy a 800 when a 600 can hang with the 800 when boondocking.
The difference in $ from a 600 to a 800 is about $1900 which is also close to the price from a 800 to the big bore.
It all boils down to what you want, what you can afford and how you ride and tune your sled

A 600 will not hang with a 800 when the snow is steep & deep Plain & Simple.... A reliable quality built big bore setup consisting of cylinders, pistons, head, crank, jackshaft & clutching trued and balanced starts at $3500.00 add a fuel controller add $500. Plus labor if needed....I recommend finding a shop that does the BB and the labor that way if they mess up its on them...If you mess up on the install it's on you. I

DPG

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
A 600 will go where a 800 will go, maybe not as easy as the 800 on the super deep days but non the less with a little effort it will get there.
The reference you made was when boodocking in and out of your
favorite riding areas, not high marking.
The new 600 line up is far better than people are willing to give them credit for and when properly setup are closer to the stock out of the box 800's than you might think.
The sleds I have to compare are a 2014 600 E tec 154, 2011 TSM 872 E tec 162 x 3, 2013 800 E tec 163, 2015 800 E tec 154.
When dealing with the smaller engines at altitude the clutching and gearing are more critical in getting the power to the ground but once you achieve the proper setup for how you ride and where you ride you will surprise the bigger sleds in your group.
A inexperienced rider will make a well setup sled look bad as a experienced rider will make a bad setup sled look good.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
It's obvious we ride in 2 different worlds...Boondocking in my world encompasses everything. Big hills Little hills, steep gullies long side hills & trees....I have yet to see a 600 CC sled break trail on a deep day and almost always when the snow is deep the 600 is riding in the 800 track....Trust me if a 600 was all you say it is there would be more 600 in the mountains than 800 and that's just not the case when it comes to the challenging riding many of us do in the western mountains.

FYI, I don't care if your riding a 440, 600, 700, 800, 2 stroke or 4 stroke clutching and gearing is key regardless of where and how you ride.

DPG

Last edited:
M
Dec 10, 2007
BC
I really don't know what else to say... yes, I agree he didn't get great starts. BUT, even if he didn't get the holeshot, the proof is there. Once he was pinned he still didn't stand a chance. People can believe what they want, I just know that I have 2 XM's that both run good. One just out pulls the other by a large margin....

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
Yes we must ride in different spots, this little 600 has been right at one of the highest points in Wyoming, deep gullies long climbs and yes deep snow, and no trees for miles, couple more tries than some of the 800's but still gets there.
Wonder how it got there, Must have been a helicopter ride!!!

You come one here to discredit a big bore that would have 20-25 more HP
than a 800 yet a 600 is down 20-25 HP, Funny how that works.

So enlighten us where you ride that no 600 can make, and you seem to have more deep days than the rest of us so please do tell

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
First, I'm not getting into a pissin contest with a guy who thinks a tuned stock 600cc sled goes where a tuned stock 800cc sled goes on a Wyoming powder day.

Second, I don't think you will find anyone on this forum who will agree with you.

Third, I don't discredit BB I own them and have owned 9 BB over the years. So I'm very well versed on there ability.

Fourth, if you think your 600 sled can hang with the 800 sleds in the big terrain that is found in the Snake River Basin, Bondurant, Bedford or Thayne I would like to see that first hand as I'm sure many others would as well.

DPG

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
Enough said!!!!

I would venture to say that guys rode that country 10 yrs ago on lesser HP 800 sleds and yet they managed to get there.
And if I read this right you are a good rider? And if you had a good running 600 and wanted to get there I suspect you would get there. one way or the other.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Some ppl will spend all day fighting about wether school buses are yellow or orange.... I think we have one of those guys in this thread:noidea:

Last edited:

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
BB vs stock bore

I have been reading and following the 880 and the 872 threads and I do believe that they make power over stock sled, I have been modding sleds for years and at the end of the day the stocker will be riding and making it the same places as me (maybe not as easy but makes it) watching the vids and reading these threads gives me the itch, but I promissed myself to truly give a stocker a real good chance, I just made the change back to doo since my 07 rev (which I loved) and now on a t-3, the sled seems pretty strong right out of the box if there is some good setups to dial in a stocker (clutching gearing) I would appreciate the info thanks

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Susp. setup? Even a stocker should carry the skis all the way up the hill, especially with the shorter track.
Johns stuff runs good and he stands behind what he sells, I had his 860 and it served myself and the next owner well for many years.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
Same old same old every spring these sales pitch threads pop up. Another apples to oranges comparison in the video's. Not one single person has ever posted a stock vs bb sled with the same exact everything except motor and clutching. Until then these threads show the same as always the sled with the bigger track wins...

Premium Features