• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trygstad 872 ETEC review

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
This season we wanted to try out the Trygstad 872. We got in touch with Dave in the early fall. We sent some cylinders out to him after speaking on the phone extensively. He always answers the phone, and is calm, collected and polite in his customer service approach.

We received the top ends back and assembled a few of them. Before assembly, we went over all the parts very thoroughly. His kit is the most well built, complete ready to assemble big bore that we've had our hands on. Cast pistons, full instructions, no finicky fuel box, comes with all gaskets needed to assemble. Looks 100% stock externally.

After a few hundred miles, we can easily say these are the most powerful, smooth 2-stroke engines we have ever built without forced induction. It took a few rides to get the clutching dialed but they are throwing a few grams more than our stock XM clutch kits, and making trackspeed similar to a pump gas turbo. We have had zero problems...just ear-to-ear grins. We build a lot of motors, we do a lot of modifying, but we are rarely this impressed with an aftermarket product.

We just built a 2015 T3 163" with TKI belt drive, Team TSS-04 clutch conversion, and the 872. Once we get some more snow we will post up some videos against a stock T3 163.

There is a lot of back-and-forthing over who makes the best ETEC BB kit, but this is our experience and our 2 cents for what it is worth.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Awesome just the thread I've been waiting for regarding the 872BB. Will be looking forward to the T3 163 comparison.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
How is the additional fueling handled with this setup?

Adding an additional intake temp sensor so the ECM thinks its colder than it really is, adding more fuel. Simple and effective.
Only 135 miles on mine, but so far no complaints. It runs flawlessly and strong considering Im still in break in mode. Pulls a good amount of clutching so no doubt its making decent power.
I have done several others for customers both last year and this year and not a single problem or complaint.

rmk800ak

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2002
Fairbanks AK.
Some of the best money I have spent on a sled ! Dave is a standup guy and builds a great product ! I won't think twice about buying another for my next Doo!!

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Adding an additional intake temp sensor so the ECM thinks its colder than it really is, adding more fuel. Simple and effective.
Only 135 miles on mine, but so far no complaints. It runs flawlessly and strong considering Im still in break in mode. Pulls a good amount of clutching so no doubt its making decent power.
I have done several others for customers both last year and this year and not a single problem or complaint.

How much more is the 872 pulling over stock clutching ? With my pipekit and belt drive I'm pulling 2g more then stock.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
How much more is the 872 pulling over stock clutching ? With my pipekit and belt drive I'm pulling 2g more then stock.

I use different ramps and helix on bigbores so a straight pin weight comparison isnt something I have. I run more helix, less primary spring, and a ramp that loads harder than what I typically use in a 800...and still run at least another gram or more. Simply adding pin weight to stock clutching leaves a lot on the table IMO.

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
350 + miles on the 872 with nothing but a few clutching changes as this engine gets broke in. the grunt this engine produces makes the clutching very forgiving, with that said if your a tuner there is a lot of power to be had in this package. Don't be afraid to add weight to find out how much it can truly pull. Dave has gone above and beyond in customer service!!!! In the years of my snowmobile performance shop purchases Dave is the first to call and check on the product, Even had a call on a Sunday night from Dave. I did look at all other builders for my big bore and chose Trygstad, 2 + years of talking to Dave about this kit and he never once made me feel like I was wasting his time.

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
I use different ramps and helix on bigbores so a straight pin weight comparison isnt something I have. I run more helix, less primary spring, and a ramp that loads harder than what I typically use in a 800...and still run at least another gram or more. Simply adding pin weight to stock clutching leaves a lot on the table IMO.

Agreed. This engine did not like the 441's above 45 mph in deep snow. Nor did it like the helix we would normally run on an 800.

bubba94

Lifetime Membership
Nov 10, 2008
BC Canada
Daves 872 is awesome, I had it installed from new on my 174 and it runs flawless. At 50% break in, it starts 1st pull hot or cold every time its the perfect sleeper kit LOL. So far I'm running stock clutching with 18.5 grams pin weight and I'm always between clicker 3 or 4 to get 7900 rpm. Gonna do some clutching soon to get some more out of it but holy does this thing pull. !!!!!!

dave@trygstadmotorsports

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2012
www.trygstad-motorsports.com
872 ETEC kit

This season we wanted to try out the Trygstad 872. We got in touch with Dave in the early fall. We sent some cylinders out to him after speaking on the phone extensively. He always answers the phone, and is calm, collected and polite in his customer service approach.

We received the top ends back and assembled a few of them. Before assembly, we went over all the parts very thoroughly. His kit is the most well built, complete ready to assemble big bore that we've had our hands on. Cast pistons, full instructions, no finicky fuel box, comes with all gaskets needed to assemble. Looks 100% stock externally.

After a few hundred miles, we can easily say these are the most powerful, smooth 2-stroke engines we have ever built without forced induction. It took a few rides to get the clutching dialed but they are throwing a few grams more than our stock XM clutch kits, and making trackspeed similar to a pump gas turbo. We have had zero problems...just ear-to-ear grins. We build a lot of motors, we do a lot of modifying, but we are rarely this impressed with an aftermarket product.

We just built a 2015 T3 163" with TKI belt drive, Team TSS-04 clutch conversion, and the 872. Once we get some more snow we will post up some videos against a stock T3 163.

There is a lot of back-and-forthing over who makes the best ETEC BB kit, but this is our experience and our 2 cents for what it is worth.

Thanks Chad for the update, Wait until you get those low elevation 872's broke in at that elevation, That magic number is close to 400 miles-some due to our kit tolerances and the ski doo ecm, I personally ride a 872 Renegade etec here in Minnesota and it can a handful on our trail systems with the observed horsepower that it creates here, Anything needed give a call.

Dave Trygstad
507-281-3545
http://trygstad-motorsports.com
Your Leader in Rotax Performance and Development.

P
Feb 1, 2010
SW MT
mpg?

Most people aren't concerned with this, but how much more fuel do you they use? I do a fair amount of long mountain riding where fuel consumption is very important and running out is stressful for the group. I can get about 100 miles of mixed mountain/crosscountry riding with a light throttle in moderate snow from a tank on my stock etec before tapping into the spare gas. Any mpg numbers out there?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
It uses slightly more fuel, but I honestly cant notice much difference. It will depend on how much throttle obviously, but the change is minimal. I have no numbers.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
We ride with 2 Trygstad motors in our group and on a deep powder day of riding 50 to 60 miles of bottomless powder the 872 like all the other sleds stock or modified make it back to the truck with right around an 1/8 of a tank of gas.

DPG

Premium Features