• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XM's Suck at Tree Riding - Video Proof

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I doubt he does at all....he WANTS to stay on 2 skis....whereas in riding like this video, he wants to ride on 1 ski.

Fact is, hanging a foot off is often the best practice on a steep sidehill when you need max leverage, and/or there are obstacles you need to navigate. Exhibit A:

Keith-Curtis-jackson-hole-snowmobile-hillclimb2014.jpg

If you have not encountered that, you are simply not taking lines as technical difficult as others. And that's fine....but chuckling at someone for good technique just shows you're not a hot **** as you'd like to think.

I agree if you weigh 110# wet you need all the leverage you can get. Paddling with your feet however provides zero leverage.

DPG

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.

And there was no snow in CO this year. And I didn't have any fun on my sled this year either.

Looks like that guy is getting around just fine on the steep side hills. Not sure what you are talking about but looks to me like he's having a blast, and the sled handles everything he throws at it. That's what you call boondocking, you should try it, it's a blast.

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
Man I need to come over to the dark side more often. You guys are a lot more fun over here.

And I believe you can search Keith Curtis on you tube and see many many video of him practicing for rmsha in the trees on a steep slope. But what does he know about tree riding?

And dpg I would love to see you riding in the trees on your 700# pound sled. I can just imagine the stuck fest now.

I don't even know if you're for real, trying to stir the pot, or just a complete dunce lol

Thanks for the neg rep too hahaha

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Before many of you new age riders could even walk we had no choice but to ride the trees in the steep & deep with 700# 133 inch 1.25 tracks with steel skis and no riser bars.....And guess what RMSHA riders back then had no choice and rode the same....If you new aged guys had to ride a 700# 133 / 1.25 sled you would never leave the trail.

500 polaris twin
580 polaris triple
580 Cat Powder Special
440 Yamaha Phazer
580 Skidoo Summit

ALL the sleds ^^^^^ ripped the trees and hills back in the day...You guys Squawking about today's revolutionary new sleds clearly have no clue about how mountains sleds have evolved....Today's new sleds are very easy to ride.

DPG

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
I rode those sleds starting at 10 years of age
80 Everest 500
94 xlt 580 triple 133.5
96 ultra bought from a rmsha racer, very wide very long. Very very heavy! Man would it rip in the trees. If the trees had a clear shot to the top and you didn't have to change the slightest of direction to make it to the top. I bought that ultra thinking I would have the baddest sled out of my friends. They all bought the summit's and then the 97 700 twin. It didn't matter if you were 400 pounds and hanging off the side of that sled it went straight up and straight down.
03 800 rmk
O8 800 assault
2013 910 pro

I have been riding since I was 10 and I can tell you , the lines I dare to take today I wouldn't even dreamed about 3 years ago on the assault.

Why do you think the sleds evolved? If those 700# sleds were so great why change them. I mean they ripped in the trees and hills what else can you ask for?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I will chip in $50 cold hard cash to see comparable video of dunce powder guy, riding similar terrain, with similar success, on a mid 90's sled somehow ballasted to 700lb, with his feet on both sides. Anyone else want in on the action?

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
I will chip in $50 cold hard cash to see comparable video of dunce powder guy, riding similar terrain, with similar success, on a mid 90's sled somehow ballasted to 700lb, with his feet on both sides. Anyone else want in on the action?

I'm in. I enjoyed watching that vid. Very smooth and great technique. You learn a lot from watching others riding videos and since I only get out a few times a year it kinda helps me evolve as a rider.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
So I actually thought that video was kind of funny, is that a 120 class kids sled or something else like an old Indy Lite 340?

At least he's got a nice polished tunnel.
That little thing rips too. LOL

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Before many of you new age riders could even walk we had no choice but to ride the trees in the steep & deep with 700# 133 inch 1.25 tracks with steel skis and no riser bars.....And guess what RMSHA riders back then had no choice and rode the same....If you new aged guys had to ride a 700# 133 / 1.25 sled you would never leave the trail.

500 polaris twin
580 polaris triple
580 Cat Powder Special
440 Yamaha Phazer
580 Skidoo Summit

ALL the sleds ^^^^^ ripped the trees and hills back in the day...You guys Squawking about today's revolutionary new sleds clearly have no clue about how mountains sleds have evolved....Today's new sleds are very easy to ride.

DPG

OMG you are so old.

That totally shows me up on my 72 cheetah 340 with steel skis AND steel track cleats.
Started riding it in 1976.
I bought it from my dad in 1987 for $200.
Sold it in 1996 for $400.
http://books.google.com/books?id=Ut...epage&q=1972 cheetah snowmobile specs&f=false

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I will gladly pay $100.00 to watch any of you new age riders ride a 700# sled through the trees....Let's see how well you Flick one around the snow. LOL

Did you guys know that many of the RMSHA racers that make it over the top consistently at JH are middle aged old farts. While many of the new aged riders struggle to make it past the 2nd cat track.

DPG

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Last edited:
Premium Features