• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear axle issues!

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Just checked mine and bolt loose on LHS. One more ride and it was gone.

I checked all the bolts in my skid before start of season and it wasn't loose.

Seems this is a common problem related to the plastic spacer behind the rail. C & T Motorsports make a billet wheel axle spacer to replace the plastic POS that is likely the real problem. Wont be in for a week so I put blue loctite on for insurance (there wasn't any from factory).

Its a bit of a joke to compare my OFT Racing Big Nutz rear axle to the BRP stocker. Some places need a big honkin' piece of aluminum to keep everything together!

OTM

T
Jan 19, 2008
Sexsmith, Ab
Just checked mine and bolt loose on LHS. One more ride and it was gone.

I checked all the bolts in my skid before start of season and it wasn't loose.

Seems this is a common problem related to the plastic spacer behind the rail. C & T Motorsports make a billet wheel axle spacer to replace the plastic POS that is likely the real problem. Wont be in for a week so I put blue loctite on for insurance (there wasn't any from factory).

Its a bit of a joke to compare my OFT Racing Big Nutz rear axle to the BRP stocker. Some places need a big honkin' piece of aluminum to keep everything together!

OTM
Thanx just ordered the spacers.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
This seems like a common theme on the 14 XM. The block behind the two washers has been bored a little and they went to 2 washers. If you look at the contact patch behind the washers is like only 2-3mm. So its not getting a lot of contact.

On the 13XM the block was solid and they used a conical washer which made good contact. This must be a vendor thing for Doo as the 13 block says its unavailable. My dealer in Golden showed me this and they have sent the info to Doo.

Here is a pic of the block setup

6qbo75.jpg

Last edited:

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
I get the reasoning behind machining the center of the piece so you move the clamping force closer to where the rail makes contact.

I'm thinking we would be better off with a single thick compression washer rather than two regular washers.

The back plastic can't be helping. Even the Cat plastic spacers are way bigger than those on our summits. I think the "clamping area" is simply too small.

OTM

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
It would have to be a thick washer. If you take one washer out i believe it bottoms out. Haven't tried it personally just been told that by a friend. Cheers

2014xm

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
We had this happen on a 2014 ski doo too and we lost the bolt and the rail spacer and had to get it off of a sled in billings mt and cooke city exxon didnt have it.

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
Blue loctite is a beautiful thing

Which side is coming loose?

N
Dec 19, 2010
Seems to be the world we are living in, looks like Doo is taking cost cutting ideas from Cat. I guess BRP feels the Summit series is made for grocery shopping and we all have CAA OR AAA to come get the sled. But they did save, $1.25 and 1/10 of a LB.

I wonder if GM could get away with plastic lugs nuts to get you out of the lot, after that you're on your own.

Pathetic....

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
just checked my wifes' and mine, both were loose on the right side..thanks for the heads up, probably save a lot of us a problem...:heart: :face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features