• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big Bore myths DEBUNKED

K

KMCP

Nov 1, 2013
CO
Like a Sunday morning bar cleanup, I suggest everyone pick up the chairs, broken tables, and bruised egos. Everyone go back to their respective corners and go ride!!! We got 16 in of new last night... Go have fun and enjoy whatever you have to ride... Some people don't have the opportunities we have let alone even have to worry who's 4k motor kit is best.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
KMCP... thanks for the red bud... keep up the good work

107571_f260.jpg

badass-rabbitpouncing.jpg

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Like a Sunday morning bar cleanup, I suggest everyone pick up the chairs, broken tables, and bruised egos. Everyone go back to their respective corners and go ride!!! We got 16 in of new last night... Go have fun and enjoy whatever you have to ride... Some people don't have the opportunities we have let alone even have to worry who's 4k motor kit is best.
Nice we only got about 6 inches :face-icon-small-fro

J

Jimmy

Nov 27, 2007
Chiba, Colorado
Boy... it sure is fun watching Dave's attack bunnies yap non stop... UNREAL how this is so constant, and guys like turbo janie literally post about NOTHING but trying to cut on guys like BJ.

btw, I've never bought anything from BJ, never met him... got no reason to defend him aside from seeing the impressive level of obnoxiousness from Dave's bunnies.

You sure are a funny little guy...

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Just an observation but I went to SLP's website, Straightlines website, Bikemans and SHR's website as well as Trygstads.

The ONLY site I found negative comments about "other" builders motors was Trystads. NO OTHER site even MENTIONED anybody elses motors, just what they were offering.

I do find it interesting that Trygstad clearly states to all the MASSIVE inventory of 872 pistons almost in the same sentence as his negative comments about the 860 and 880 motors.....

Curious.......

M

Mach-ster

Jan 5, 2008
Just an observation but I went to SLP's website, Straightlines website, Bikemans and SHR's website as well as Trygstads.

The ONLY site I found negative comments about "other" builders motors was Trystads. NO OTHER site even MENTIONED anybody elses motors, just what they were offering.

I do find it interesting that Trygstad clearly states to all the MASSIVE inventory of 872 pistons almost in the same sentence as his negative comments about the 860 and 880 motors.....

Curious.......

Maybe I'm missing something but I just went to his site again and I find nothing about or use of any other builders names? to me there is nothing offensive about HIS site? HE found these things out by doing HIS own testing building 890's 880's & 860's and merely states what he's found and why he's going the direction he is? All I know is that if you get a chance to try one of these great kits you'll own one.:face-icon-small-coo

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
BJ you missed the biggest one......

The Performance of a BB is directly related to the size of the Main Jet

Having to run overly large jetting is a result of an OVER ported motor. Correctly ported motors can get by with smaller jetting because of the stronger vacuum. I can relate this to the CPC 1150 motors that were running around back a few years ago. These motors made 210 plus horse and ran 470 mains at elevation. Now this is not to say that both styles of porting will get the same result. But to say that one motor that runs smaller jetting isn't making as much power as the bigger jetted motor is a false statement.

J

Jimmy

Nov 27, 2007
Chiba, Colorado

Curious.......

Fez, Trygstad site is not saying bad things about your brothers motor? Did Trygstad not build an 860 once? and the stock cat pistons have skirt issue's even John admitted it an makes a better piston for his 860.

Dave built 880's too, before BJ and had some cylinder failures in testing, this was done long before BJ was building 880's and thus Trystad went a diffrent direction and developed the 872. He isn't bad mouthing anyone's motor he is saying what he found with those size's through his own testing.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Fez, Trygstad site is not saying bad things about your brothers motor? Did Trygstad not build an 860 once? and the stock cat pistons have skirt issue's even John admitted it an makes a better piston for his 860.

Dave built 880's too, before BJ and had some cylinder failures in testing, this was done long before BJ was building 880's and thus Trystad went a diffrent direction and developed the 872. He isn't bad mouthing anyone's motor he is saying what he found with those size's through his own testing.

"* WE no longer will build and have not for over 3 years build the 860 style BB, The cast pistons will fail due to
thin skirt design and always ruin the cyl, and most of the time take the crankcase and crank also, This is a
well know fact with this application"

I agree it seems like maybe he is talking about his failures rather than others. I am sure everyones engine will be ok. I doubt many people expect to get 5000 miles out of any modded motor, if they do awesome.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Having to run overly large jetting is a result of an OVER ported motor. Correctly ported motors can get by with smaller jetting because of the stronger vacuum. I can relate this to the CPC 1150 motors that were running around back a few years ago. These motors made 210 plus horse and ran 470 mains at elevation. Now this is not to say that both styles of porting will get the same result. But to say that one motor that runs smaller jetting isn't making as much power as the bigger jetted motor is a false statement.

,,, A minimal or Non Ported BB will always require larger mains,the air flow is slower and vacuum signal is weak therefore less fuel flows up through mains, good porting = smaller mains because the intake vacuum signal is increased, air moves "Faster" and there is more differential pressure between the venturri and the carb bowl. Technically Fuel actually flows up through the main jet because there is a negative atmospheric pressure in the venturri. larger the differential the more fuel that will flow through any given orifice.The Laws of Physics will always apply, the faster the air flow through the venturri the stronger the signal and flow more fuel on an aspirated motor. ,,,Only if you ported "Soo "much[destroying the motor] that you reduced the air flow will it require larger mains.

Last edited:
B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
,,, A minimal or Non Ported BB will always require larger mains,the air flow is slower and vacuum signal is weak therefore less fuel flows up through mains, good porting = smaller mains because the intake vacuum signal is increased, air moves "Faster" and there is more differential pressure between the venturri and the carb bowl. Technically Fuel actually flows up through the main jet because there is a negative atmospheric pressure in the venturri. larger the differential the more fuel that will flow through any given orifice.The Laws of Physics will always apply, the faster the air flow through the venturri the stronger the signal and flow more fuel on an aspirated motor. ,,,Only if you ported "Soo "much[destroying the motor] that you reduced the air flow will it require larger mains.

So are you saying that Trygstad motors are hardly ported at all. I have never seen the inside of one but know they require very large main jets.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota

Regardless of who builds the 880, or 860 according to his website all of them are inferior to his 872 for one reason or another. Maybe I am a little too cynical, or look at the wrong side of ones intentions, or maybe not....

I don't trust anyone that says only THEIR stuff works and "by the way" I have plenty in stock to sell you.....

Last edited:
D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
Im still confused over the whole jet size vs. aggressiveness of porting debate. Is it possible that the same thing can be accomplished through different methods? The ultimate goal is to move as much air and fuel as possible right? So if you have huge ports, your velocity might not be as high (thus, less venturi effect) so bigger jets will be needed. Because of the bigger area through which the air is moving though you are still moving more air, and because of the bigger jet, more fuel. But someone with porting that is set up to create "faster" air movement is going to be able to get away with a smaller main jet because of the increased venturi effect.

At the end of the day is either actually drawing more air and fuel in? Or both doing the same thing in different ways? I think the ultimate measure would be things we talked about before......clutch wieght being pulled, track speeds, dyno numbers (with a grain of salt.....)

Can anyone explain this? Im not in any particular camp. Just curious.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I looked at the Chevy website...it has a Chevy vs All page where they point out all the advantages they have over their competition...they even NAME them!! Is this bad? :face-icon-small-dis Or is it just competition? :face-icon-small-hap In the end, it's good for consumers. Regardless of what truck might be better in one category or another, many guys have their loyalties and will buy "their" brand for one reason or another.

Premium Features