• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 and SHR !

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
I get stopped going to TKI's site from my anti-virus. Can anyone see it? I would like to see how there kits look now that are through the test/development stage.

And on another note, Machster you seem to have a good relationship w/ Dave. Maybe you could get him to clarify his "facts" about both 860 and 880 big bores when you seem to be indicating that he has built very few of either. Who did he get this information from? Curious how the facts came to be when apparently Dave has very limited background into these particular big bores. I won't say all big bores, because I do not know that much about Dave or his experience. I thought he helped the Skidoo RMHSA teams. Who was building there big bores that people give credit to Dave for? Were they only running ported engines? Again, this info is beyond my knowledge base so I am just curious. Thanks.

B
Nov 26, 2007
I picked this kit up and installed this summer with help from both BJ and Tom. Both were excellent to work with on the phone.

Copied directly from TKI website.

DynoDrive Belt Drive for Ski-Doo models 2008-2014 allows for easy installation and change from heavy stock chain drive to belt drive system with NO modifications to the factory parts. Electric Start Models recommend a smaller compact battery which can be added to your purchase for under $100.

This kit does NOT modify any OEM parts.

Manufactured in the USA!!
Available in 6 Gear Ratios [ =Bottom Gear Teeth / Top Gear Teeth] listed below allowing for maximized power and easy adjustment.

Top Gear Ratio: 25 = 2.52
Top Gear Ratio: 26 = 2.42
Top Gear Ratio: 27 = 2.33
Top Gear Ratio: 28 = 2.25
Top Gear Ratio: 29 = 2.17
Top Gear Ratio: 30 = 2.1

Phone
(406)850-8091

Tom Kobza Industries

TKI.jpg

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Is it possible that Both SHR and Tryg do good work??? Just one of those crazy thoughts. :face-icon-small-dis

The TKI belt drives are a nicely finished product, have installed a few recently and see no issues. I like that the speedo sensor is already built into the cover, just plug it in. Literally a one hour job to install.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Is it possible that Both SHR and Tryg do good work??? Just one of those crazy thoughts. :face-icon-small-disQUOTE]

It's not crazy at all and a good point winter brew. 872 is a hell of a motor from what I have seen w/ my own eyes. I should apolagize to Dave. Turbojamie always goes negative where ever he can w/ SHR. His reference (plus a few of Dave's cheerleaders-and don't be offended, I'm a cheerleader for BJ) got me on a bit of a role w/ the whole big bore fact thing and my obvious disagreement on it. I think it is time for me to bow out of this thread. Both BJ and Dave build fantastic big bores!

Does anyone have any video clips of SHR big bore etec's? Starvalley has a few up of Trygstad's and they are obviously a great performing engine. Even more impressive in real life--at least as far as the carb version goes, have not personally been around 872 etec.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
A lot of people that build race motors don't support their older builds. I know it's very,very common in the dirt bike world. They have moved on to bigger builds and better things, they come up with something better. Their parts source dries up on older builds too. What that doesn't mean is that another company doesn't copy or use a similar concept. But these other companies don't build racing motors they build mild versions of the former race motor. Heck, usually the don't even build their own parts. They outsource the machining and head work to other companies. Some times even companies that build similar products.

These guys are basically parts changers, and they will fix anything because they have to. They are not building their reputations by winning Supercross races, they are building it on Joe trail rider that can't tell if his CRF is jetted correctly.

All I have to say is Kudos' to the smaller companies! After all everyone needs a parts changer. What I will say about the race companies though, is when they have done R&D and tested enough and finally come to a version they like, you know it has been tested in the most extreme and brutal conditions. One that joe trail rider will never experience, he does benefit from it though by getting a very strong running and reliable motor.

I will take my motors with a Slice of winning..

Are you sure my truck isn't made by Ford? It has Ford all over it, even on the valve covers. Weird, ahh well maybe it just needs some parts changed. BJ are you available ?

You fixed an early build motor there Hero, with a lot of parts that had never been tried together by anyone.

Just saying......Jimmy

you said Ford BIG FOOT...I said its NOT FORDS problem @ I'm right.

as for NOT supporting YOUR own builds? your post is BS...that's NOT how you DOO business.

as for subtle shots at being a "parts changer" that's funny...:gossip:

I support ALL of my engines...no excuses...:face-icon-small-coo

the fact I FIXED that 880 proves MY abilities...

just saying BJ

Winterbrew hit the nail on the head...TY

Hobbes....your sleds done...come and get it...

J

Jimmy

Nov 27, 2007
Chiba, Colorado
you said Ford BIG FOOT...I said its NOT FORDS problem @ I'm right.

as for NOT supporting YOUR own builds? your post is BS...that's NOT how you DOO business.

as for subtle shots at being a "parts changer" that's funny...:gossip:

I support ALL of my engines...no excuses...:face-icon-small-coo

the fact I FIXED that 880 proves MY abilities...

just saying BJ

Winterbrew hit the nail on the head...TY

Hobbes....your sleds done...come and get it...

So is this how you do business John? By openly bashing a company and competitor that has never said a thing about your product or you on the net?

Seems like you failed business 101, is it jealousy John? or maybe Big John isnt that big at all...:eek:

Like I said I will take my motor's with a slice of winning championships and not some guy that built his business off a internet forum...

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Jimmy, I would suggest you are not getting some of the pun's, points and common sense that John and others are writing. Lighten up a bit and think about what people are writing rather than have the blinders on.

I can attest to the "winning" status of SHR motors and sleds, I have seen other SHR's, and also mine which do a "fair" job in the real world mountains of the West. I have run against only 1 Trygstad 872, the guy would not admit what brand it was because of the results against my SHR860, but his buddy fessed up afterwards. Does this mean all 872's are not the cats azz?? Nope, but until one hands me my ***, I will proclaim the top Doo motors in the steep and deep are SHR.

Failed business 101, hardly, he flourishes in his business and his reputation is impeccable. The people that have an "internet" agenda against him ............ are almost 100% other builders henchmen that are trying to discredit his good name because of their jealousy and underhandedness.

p.s. ........... John is 6'9" and 285. Hence his name. :behindsofa:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Jimmy, I would suggest you are not getting some of the pun's, points and common sense that John and others are writing. Lighten up a bit and think about what people are writing rather than have the blinders on.

I can attest to the "winning" status of SHR motors and sleds, I have seen other SHR's, and also mine which do a "fair" job in the real world mountains of the West. I have run against only 1 Trygstad 872, the guy would not admit what brand it was because of the results against my SHR860, but his buddy fessed up afterwards. Does this mean all 872's are not the cats azz?? Nope, but until one hands me my ***, I will proclaim the top Doo motors in the steep and deep are SHR.

Failed business 101, hardly, he flourishes in his business and his reputation is impeccable. The people that have an "internet" agenda against him ............ are almost 100% other builders henchmen that are trying to discredit his good name because of their jealousy and underhandedness.

Well he,s 7,2 when pissed off lol. yes impeccable service and honest workmanship and they sell themself. I also have many of other brand motors sitting here,I,m not blowin a feather up anyone ars. i call it the way it is. no less no more,,

Last edited:

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
I picked this kit up and installed this summer with help from both BJ and Tom. Both were excellent to work with on the phone.

Copied directly from TKI website.

DynoDrive Belt Drive for Ski-Doo models 2008-2014 allows for easy installation and change from heavy stock chain drive to belt drive system with NO modifications to the factory parts. Electric Start Models recommend a smaller compact battery which can be added to your purchase for under $100.

This kit does NOT modify any OEM parts.

Manufactured in the USA!!
Available in 6 Gear Ratios [ =Bottom Gear Teeth / Top Gear Teeth] listed below allowing for maximized power and easy adjustment.

Top Gear Ratio: 25 = 2.52
Top Gear Ratio: 26 = 2.42
Top Gear Ratio: 27 = 2.33
Top Gear Ratio: 28 = 2.25
Top Gear Ratio: 29 = 2.17
Top Gear Ratio: 30 = 2.1

Phone
(406)850-8091

Tom Kobza Industries

Price is right....although by the time I got it shipped thru customs it would be the same as C3. There must be a cover for the bottom sprocket? I dont understand his gear ratio...what is the bottom gear? Are there gears that are the same size as the stock 21/49?

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Yes I know.....but are the gears the same diameter. He would need a 63T bottom gear with that 27 top gear to get 2.33...which is fine if the gears are the same diameter as the chaincase gears, otherwise the power delivery to the snow will be different. I assume they r the same, just more teeth because of the design of the belt.

Yes...no?

Hmmmmm...2.33 is 2.333...what the heck am I talking about...have another friday nite crown and coke Newf !!!

haha...ya

Last edited:
J

Jimmy

Nov 27, 2007
Chiba, Colorado

Oh Slim I get it. It is just sad that a lot of this is based off of 1 (one) 880. That infact was nothing but a pure test motor. It was built in 2008! When did BJ build his first 880? It ran well when my buddy had it. Then it went to 2 to 3 other guys that hacked away at it. Who knows what it was like when BJ got it. It was so far removed from it original state.

To proclaim it isn't supported by a company? All motors can be upgraded to new spec. Sorry, you purchased a one off sled that has a motor that wasnt put into production.

You can proclaim SHR as the top Doo motors in your area. Thats fine, I can proclaim myself the King of England. But, when I show up at the Castle and try to get in the gate they are going to want my creditials and the opinion of my buddies isn't going to get me very far.

As far as Henchen with a internet agenda go, It is always the SHR minions that have thrown in a jab or two about the one 872 they have seen (or havent seen). Even your post Slick. Always, remember Slim not everyone's sled is in the same state of tune as yours. Good or bad, Just because someone owns something doesnt mean they know how to tune it, or even keep clutchs clean for that matter.

I have never said BJ does a bad job with his builds, What he does poorly is take jabs at competition. I have NEVER seen a company that I respect take a open jab at another company the way BJ has. Mitch Payton at Pro-Circuit has never openly jabbed Donny Emler at FMF? Even, if a profesional doesnt agree with or like what another company is doing. They keep their mouth closed do the work and let their own product speak.

Not get emotional about it on the internet and take jabs at someone whom has never said a thing about their business on the internet.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Yes I know.....but are the gears the same diameter. He would need a 63T bottom gear with that 27 top gear to get 2.33...which is fine if the gears are the same diameter as the chaincase gears, otherwise the power delivery to the snow will be different. I assume they r the same, just more teeth because of the design of the belt.

Yes...no?

Hmmmmm...2.33 is 2.333...what the heck am I talking about...have another friday nite crown and coke Newf !!!

haha...ya

I will have mine in the next day or so..I will measure the two and let you know

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I will have mine in the next day or so..I will measure the two and let you know

guys dont rule out the 2.4ish ratio especially on the 3 inch. Really puts you at a 1-1 shift on a climb with top speeds still 75ish which is irrelevant on a 3 inch. Its my favorite ratio and ran a few.I was resistant to going that low but it enhanced backshift and a very fast climber.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
We still need to have more than one builder for there to be competition.. I am just a little upset about dropping that much into my trygstad motor and not being able to buy pistons from the builder 2 yr's later.. I also understand that the 860 was not a production motor.. But there were a bunch of kit's sold by star valley skidoo in 09 and 10. Had to go to another builder to get support.. Those are the fact's could care less what people think... I still own the trystad sled and will keep it around.. It does run good.. And is reliable if you rebuild every 1500 mi. Not sure how some people make it through the day being so butt hurt.... Smile! winters coming....

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
We still need to have more than one builder for there to be competition.. I am just a little upset about dropping that much into my trygstad motor and not being able to buy pistons from the builder 2 yr's later.. I also understand that the 860 was not a production motor.. But there were a bunch of kit's sold by star valley skidoo in 09 and 10. Had to go to another builder to get support.. Those are the fact's could care less what people think... I still own the trystad sled and will keep it around.. It does run good.. And is reliable if you rebuild every 1500 mi. Not sure how some people make it through the day being so butt hurt.... Smile! winters coming....

Scratley have you run your two sleds against each other?

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
I have run my 860 against bigjohns 880 was not much of a race.. The 880 I have now will be new to me this yr.. In all fairness I have not been around a 872 carb version. I rode a lot of bigbores last yr.. Johns was the only one that really impressed me.. Not to say there are not a lot of 872's that will stay with it.. I just haven't seen one yet... Would like to get together this winter with a couple on here and see. My 860 does stay with all the 872's I ride with..

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
I have run my 860 against bigjohns 880 was not much of a race.. The 880 I have now will be new to me this yr.. In all fairness I have not been around a 872 carb version. I rode a lot of bigbores last yr.. Johns was the only one that really impressed me.. Not to say there are not a lot of 872's that will stay with it.. I just haven't seen one yet... Would like to get together this winter with a couple on here and see. My 860 does stay with all the 872's I ride with..

....but how can that be? The 860 is junk and the 872 is untouchable, being the only BB that works :face-icon-small-hap

S
Dec 2, 2007
Cottonwood
Big John isn't 6'7, he's 7'0 and 310

You should see him on a sled, like a Monkey ....ff'ing a football! :) JK

I also installed the TKI belt drive this past week. No seat time yet, everything has been on the road and in/out the trailer. Tom and BJ weren't needed for install...it's that easy. Will report back when I get it on the snow.

Premium Features