• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Weird XP bogging problem

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
took out my 2008xp summit with about 1500km on it and i had installed an slp pipe package over the summer. the sled ran amazing for the first half the day then after lunch it started acting up and bogging when i try to go full throttle. it runs flawless up till 3/4 throttle and even runs good when not under load like on the trail or in a field. AS SOON as i hit the base of a hill to climb and hit the gas it bogs and barely has enough guts to turn itself around. i cant figure it out i went over everything i could without tearing it apart and slp does not reccomend any jetting changes for just the pipe. but even so it would not run like this if it was off a jet size or 2.

B
Jan 26, 2008
Just a complete shot in the dark try another key had some issues somewhat like this last year vibration under load caused bad contact on the key and in turn caused a limp. probly not but could happen i guess.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
check the compression
pull valves and look at the pistons
sounds lean to me

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Just a complete shot in the dark try another key had some issues somewhat like this last year vibration under load caused bad contact on the key and in turn caused a limp. probly not but could happen i guess.

Won't work, the "key" is paired with the MPEM. He would have to swap that out also. I'd start with the simple things first. DPM, could be sticking and running way too rich, that would bog it down, if were running lean it would run like a striped azz ape until it goes POP! Under a load creates more "work" for the motor to turn, whereas on a flat spot it is not as hard to spin, hence it runs better. The DPMS are known to stick on those sleds.

Jul 22, 2008
Is the pipe split open? They were splitting open last year bad, I changed out quite a few that split open along the inside weld just after the y-pipe and the belly of the pipe.

S
Aug 31, 2008
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me last year on my brand new xp and never did find the cause but since then I had the DPM checked and lubed, ported the lower airbox and had the dealer reflash for the knock limp home mode thing where you can shut the machine off to reset instead of having to bring it to the dealer and it works so far.:rolleyes:

bterry88

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Sammamish, WA
I experienced a very similar issue last spring. I would have sworn it was an engine/power issue. I went down the dpm track, to find it was working properly. Turned out it was a clutch issue. One of my rollers was almost shot, so under full throttle climbing, the clutch was not properly backshifting, hence losing power. Felt like the engine was cutting out. When was the last time you had your clutch apart for an inspection?

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Back off on the hill and stay on the needle jet. if it is ok there it should not be electrical or clutching. It sounds like jetting to me. Better pipe bigger jets.

Premium Features