• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.
B
Dec 26, 2017
Hi all,

I'm hoping you fine people here at snowest can help me out with finding a sled for the Mrs. She's currently on an 04 Ski-doo Rev 800. She cant pull start it, and being carbureted, the stiff throttle wears her out quickly. I'd like to get her something that is fuel injected, has electric start, and 153ish track (though longer would be fine). Budget would be around 4k, maybe 5 for the right sled. I just dont know what makes and models I should be searching for. If you have any suggestions, please share! Thanks!

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I'm a skidoo man myself so maybe a little biased here, but any of the etecs seem to have a very good rep and very capable of going anywhere she wants to go. You should be able to shop around and find one for the range your looking at.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Given that shes at least somewhat used to the DOO chassis, the 13-16 XM chassis is a hard one to beat. 4-5k will get you into a decent used unit. 154 2.5" Track. Etec's start stupids easily compared to others and the most long term reliable sled in that price range/era IMO.

They also roll around MUCH easier making casual pow carves and such a lot more fun for this type of rider.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Given that shes at least somewhat used to the DOO chassis, the 13-16 XM chassis is a hard one to beat. 4-5k will get you into a decent used unit. 154 2.5" Track. Etec's start stupids easily compared to others and the most long term reliable sled in that price range/era IMO.

They also roll around MUCH easier making casual pow carves and such a lot more fun for this type of rider.

I am not a Doo guy but think this advice is right on. Lots of my buddies on XMs, super reliable, one pull starting almost everytime and easy to ride as long as you can live with the goofy steering post angle.

In the same price range you could look at the Polaris Pro, also super easy to ride and very light but, motors do not last like the e-tec. Cats in that range are heavier, wider and though bomber tough, they are probably harder for smaller/lighter people to handle.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I have my wife on a 2014 m8000 153 with 36" front end and E start. she is 5'1" she does well with it but without E start the cat 800 ho is a bit hard to pull for a lady her size.
the poo 800 is easier to start and has similar handling with the cat. the doo is easy to start but as said above the handling is all doo.

if it is mostly trail the doo has a nice ride the cat I would put next and the pro below IMO

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Agreed again... The Cat is a great choice but would have to be electric start as they do pull hard, especially when cold. Finding one with an updated front end would also be essential because the 2012-2015 stock Cat ProClimb steers like crap. Night and day difference starting with the '16 front end geometry.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
U want her as comfortable as possible so that she enjoys the sport.
Ski-doo XM's feel like they have power steering compared to cat and poo.
That alone may make her day more enjoyable?

Polaris Pro-ride has a pretty stiff throttle pull, similar to her current sled so she may be ok with that? Cat and doo both pull so easy u will never get sore or tired.

Trail ride, they are all close enough(tmotion sleds are a bit wobbly) unless ur mobbing some whoops... doubt u will be doing a lot of that. But maybe u do?

As for wind protection, doo with its wind deflection accessories probably wins...

Doo has the best electric start in that price range.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I can't ride a Doo because of the dumb dumb steering. If you found the other two steering hard it was more than likely the set up than an inherent flaw in the design. I find both the Cat and Poo to steer better, the Poo is downright telepathic in its moves, hardly requiring any steering input once you get the hang of it. Almost no counter steering needed on the newer Cats either. The wobble bottom Doo with a too narrow front end has always been the hardest for me to control. They doo seem easier for most beginners/intermediate or lighter riders though.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I'm not a Ski-Doo guy, but If you stick with a XM Doo I recommend getting one that has the newer geometry front end that they started putting on the T3s. It was a noticeable improvement in handling when I rode them back to back.

What types of terrain does she ride the most: %trail, %open areas, %tight trees?

B
Dec 26, 2017
Hey guys, thanks a lot for all the info! Seems like a Doo might be the sled for her, but I definitely appreciate the input on handling characteristics of different makes/models.

Her chief complaints are a sore thumb and not being able to pull start her sled, so E start and easy throttle pull would be top priority.

A little more about her and what we ride:

She's 5'4'' and uhhh, let's just say light :face-icon-small-win

We're in the central cascades and she's currently riding 80% trail, and 20% mellow angle pow/open trees. Very much a beginner, but she likes to get a little "sendy" now and then and is taking to it pretty quickly.

We mostly like getting out to nice views, romping around in some pow, and finding spots for sled access skiing.

All of your suggestions have been super helpful in finding a sled that will be more enjoyable for her!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
id recommend a Polaris pro. they're easy to learn technical riding on. even the axys I think of as a chick sled. light as they come, easiest sleds to figure out. go for a belt drive. I wouldn't want my wife to learn on a doo because then she'll never really learn to sidehill:face-icon-small-ton
max out a poo and then shell be ready for a cat maybe someday. the 600 polaris' are more rare because they work so well for wives that people never sell them.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The Polaris 600 motors are runners and I agree would make a good learning package for off-trail riding. IMO the Polaris Pro rides the roughest down the trail between it, the XM, and the Proclimb. The Proclimb jumps the nicest of the ones I've ridden.

B
Dec 26, 2017
id recommend a Polaris pro. they're easy to learn technical riding on. even the axys I think of as a chick sled. light as they come, easiest sleds to figure out. go for a belt drive. I wouldn't want my wife to learn on a doo because then she'll never really learn to sidehill:face-icon-small-ton
max out a poo and then shell be ready for a cat maybe someday. the 600 polaris' are more rare because they work so well for wives that people never sell them.

Yeah I've been considering getting her a 600. Not too many for sale but I'll keep my eyes out for a poo!

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
My biased suggestion is a '17 or '18 Arctic Cat High Country 600 or 800 141" track; will actually steer, good ride (once setup for rider weight) & plenty capable on or off trail. Not to mention that women look sexy on a Cat!! UPDATE; I went back & read your OP re: price points. Look for a lower mileage Arctic Cat Crossfire, they are a cult classic, popular with many men & women back-country riders; Warm, comfortable & capable on or off-trail. I still have an '11 Crossfire 800 HO with a PC 141X 2.25 track that I would never sell; It is a hoot to ride & girl friends love it. My $.02

Last edited:

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
I too will give my biased opinion. My 55+ year old wife really enjoys riding with me. Not a full history, but she was riding an 08 M6, 153. Really liked it. Upgraded to a 15 Rmk 600.
My thoughts was basically, roughest riding , hardest to pull up and flip around in the powder sled I had been on in a long time. . To say the least I was a bit disappointed. I even ask some RMK experts on how to set it up. Still didn't do any thing to change my mind. It was the first RMK I had been on. Throttle pull is significantly harder to pull. Wears out a small thumb in a hurry.
Upgraded to a 16 M6000 , 153, with electric start. She loves it and I like it too.
CTEC engine is great and the throttle pull is so much easier than the RMK.. ride is much better and the shocks are easily adjustable to any rider .
Again. Just my biased .02 cents

Premium Features