• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has anyone spent time on a stock viper mtx

D
Oct 26, 2009
I have owned a stock Apex mountain since 2007 and love that sled. 5000 miles with little to no problems. Exhaust donuts steering bushings and one new belt at 2500 miles.
Has anyone spent time on a Stock viper MTX. How do they compare. I have heard many say that the 1049 motor is under powered and compared to an 800 I would guess that's true.
The big problem with buying one is that it is virtually untouched on tuning. Any thoughts or experience???

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I run a stock viper, I put on 3 inch powerclaw, skis and clutching and i do technical and steep boondocking all day, evo powersportshas an exhaust and tune for 160hp

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
I thought of doing a n/a build on my 2016, but after pricing a full exhaust, reflash, and time to tune just get 160ish hp, it made more sense to go with boost. Depending on the type of riding you do, depends on what build you would want to do. Stock to stock against your Apex, it will go more places easier.

D
Oct 26, 2009
Thanks for the input. the evo setup looks interesting. Ive heard that an airbox modification and muffler is good for about 145 to 150 without the evo flash. I just have become so use to the dependability of these sleds that I'm not willing to give it up.
My Apex is heavy and has limitations but overall if you apply all the tricks you have learned in a lifetime of sledding it is manageable.
I've dropped about 30 pounds from the Apex. My only wish is that Yamaha could get a sled in the 165 hp range stock and naturally aspirated. I guess I'll keep wishing.

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
Finally getting around to installing my roll over valve and updated altitude compensater. But **** neck surgery got in the way, so my return to work on light duty will be working in OAHU HI, probly a quick test of boost controller before my wife even has a chance to figure it out :))))):face-icon-small-coo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 111

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thanks for the input. the evo setup looks interesting. Ive heard that an airbox modification and muffler is good for about 145 to 150 without the evo flash. I just have become so use to the dependability of these sleds that I'm not willing to give it up.
My Apex is heavy and has limitations but overall if you apply all the tricks you have learned in a lifetime of sledding it is manageable.
I've dropped about 30 pounds from the Apex. My only wish is that Yamaha could get a sled in the 165 hp range stock and naturally aspirated. I guess I'll keep wishing.

Running a LOW BOOST turbo, 6-8lbs, should have ZERO impact on long term reliability.

I am on my 5th Yamaha now.
3rd boosted sled.
Have had zero mechanical issues with the boosted engines.
They just keep going and going and going.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Running a LOW BOOST turbo, 6-8lbs, should have ZERO impact on long term reliability.

I am on my 5th Yamaha now.
3rd boosted sled.
Have had zero mechanical issues with the boosted engines.
They just keep going and going and going.

I think he might be talking about the rod issues on the 2016's. If that's the case, like Christopher said a low boost kit will have no issues what so ever. If worried, throw in aftermarket rods and call it good.

There are still some 2015's out there, and depending on your location I know of where you could pick one up with the MPI kit installed and clutched fairly reasonable.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I think he might be talking about the rod issues on the 2016's. If that's the case, like Christopher said a low boost kit will have no issues what so ever. If worried, throw in aftermarket rods and call it good.

There are still some 2015's out there, and depending on your location I know of where you could pick one up with the MPI kit installed and clutched fairly reasonable.

There are Vipers out there brand new for under $10K right now.
Smoking deals can be had.

Premium Features