• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Baker avalanche!!!

W
May 27, 2009
Maple Valley, WA
Park Butte, SW of Mt. Baker, WA A single snowmobiler triggered and was caught, carried and killed in a large (D3) slab avalanche on Park Butte in the Mt. Baker National Recreation Area. The avalanche was triggered just below the summit on a NE aspect near 5400'. The victim was carried 1000' through a gully and sparse trees. The avalanche was 200 ft (60 m) wide and averaged 4' deep (1.2m). It failed on a 2 cm thick layer of facets above a rain crust.

N
Dec 18, 2012
Bothell, Wa
Looking at the pics... That's a big hill.
Was he buried and asphyxiated or did he die from trauma?
Simple question, with all due respect.

Luke was a standup individual, hell of a nice guy and an amazing rider! I had the chance to ride with him a couple times and have some friends that we're really close to him. Honestly every time I saw him ride I was beyond impressed, he made riding steep and deep effortless and would hit 100'+ cornice drops, cliffs or anything that he found like it was nothing. He filmed with Alpine Assassins, Burandt and a host of other groups so you know he had skills! On top of that he was just a heck of a happy guy that just loved the sport and its a huge loss to the industry and our local community to have him gone.

I was not there but from what I heard:
On Saturday, he was up scouting area's with some guys filming some big drops and jumps off a number of spots. He was dropping the big cornice just below the lookout that runs out and down towards the horse coral. He had hit the drop twice before it slid on the 3rd drop it broke with about a 6' deep slide and took him all the way down the first slope and down the long second slope and buried him about 10' deep. I don't know exactly how long it took to get him out (not too long) but they did cpr without success likely due to internal chest trauma. He always wore an airbag but I don't know if it had been deployed. The rescue chopper got to him about 3 hours after the slide but was no help at that point.

He passed doing something he honestly loved and will be missed by many. RIP

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
He jumped down from the look out, triggered the slide. Pulled his air bag and the slide carried him down into a tree. He was dug out with a pulse, but crushed from the force of snow. Remember.. The avy pack is not a device that will save your life. It might, but no garuntees.

N
Nov 27, 2007
Tacoma, Washington
This has been a very rough week for all that knew Luke. He was nothing short of an exceptional person and steward for our sport. If each one of us embodied just 1% of his love for this sport it would be awesome. I have a lot of great memories with Luke and I'm sure many of you do as well. We will all miss him, his smile, laugh and the goofball that he was!

Adam Karcz who was with Luke at the time of the accident has set up gofundme account to help his family offset the costs of the accident and make a contribution to the NWAC.

https://www.gofundme.com/luke-rohde-memorial

All the best to those of you who rode with Luke, knew him or said hello to him on the mtn. Godspeed Lucas-

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Not that it really matters because I wasn't there but as usual a lot of the information on here about how it happened is not correct.

However, I'm not trying to take away how much this man was a great ambassador of the sport and will unbelievably be missed by those who knew him and even more so by those who never even met him :face-icon-small-sad

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
Complacent... He's hit that a lot of times. I've seen him hit in person... I did the most mellow ride I have done in 5 years today. Enjoyed the sun with good people. I stared at every big hill sketched out. I figured most people would be in the same boat with the latest events... He was too young and too talented. So sad...

Good decisions were made and we all made it out. It was a good mellow day in the sun with a big group of friends. The trainer was up to his normal shenanigans as usual. ... getting stuck.

D
Mar 13, 2014
Must say this one has really bugged me, pretty obvious Luke was a great guy. I hope some of us can learn the easy way from this accident. I have been into boating for a long time and six years ago I flipped my boat due to mechanical issue at over 100 mph I was 30 years old. How I survived I have no clue but it changed everything. Boating to me than was can I get to go a little faster etc now it is about having a good time but my number priority is everyone gets home safe. Please try and keep that in mind when we are out there folks.

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
One year ago tomorrow, the snowmobiling community lost one of their best riders, and we all lost a hell of a friend.

Do not let tomorrow be overcome by sorrow, instead, remember all the awesome times you've had with Luke.

Always keep him in your mind when you're enjoying some fresh powder. Remember, the mountain isn't going anywhere. If that line is questionable today, wait for another day to hit it.

Hope you guys enjoy this GIF of Luke sending it off Railroad grade last year!

A bunch of us will be up at Schreiber Meadows tomorrow, hope to see all you there!

mVbRKH3.jpg

Last edited:
N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IAojbMngaBM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Premium Features