• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RMK 900 won't start

R
Mar 23, 2016
I bought this sled, first ride out I shut it off and it wouldn't start, waited 15 minutes or so and it started. Couple days later the reverse started acting up, would only engage occasionally. Sled then wouldn't start without pressing the throttle, wouldn't idle and backfired when starting. The gauges and headlight wouldn't work while idling by this point, had to give it throttle and get the rpms up and it would cut in fine. Sled would go for first 1/4 throttle but after that was hardly anything. I changed the plugs and put in champion plugs as people told me was a better choice for this sled then the NGK. So I finally took it for the first real ride since I owned it, the other rides were just a km or 2 to see how it worked. And well about 10kms in the sled shut off the same as if I turned off the key and hasn't went since. When I pull it over now it just backfires and starts for about 1-2 seconds and goes out again. I checked the spark it's good, compression is about 120psi on both cylinders. I pulled the new plugs I put in before the ride and clutch side was clean, muffler side was black. When it did work and I gave it throttle it would bog right down, release the throttle and give it to her again and she would kick in. Any ideas what could be up? Some people have said gas issues some said sensor issues, anyone have this prob before??

B

biggsy90

Jan 8, 2015
Fort Collins, CO
Im by no means an expert on these things and still havent gotten mine to work right, but have you checked the TPS or changed the pig tail? Ive heard that those can cause problems. Stator wires can be a problem, but I would think that that would cause spark problems but Im not sure about that. if gauges werent working, then you may want to pull the tank and check the stator, voltage regulator and capicator. I cant remember off hand how to check them, but you can search it I know its been covered before.

good luck

Premium Features