• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

verdict Klim vs Motorfist Rebel bike pants

Y
Nov 26, 2007
So who has seen/ridden in both. I can get my hands on a set of Klim but do like the "marketing" aspects of motorfist, lighter/stronger/won't absorb snow/weight- I just have not laid my eyes on a set.

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
I've tried on the Motorfist

I tried on XL regular; they didn't fit me (I'm 5'9" 195 lbs) as far as length but fit otherwise. Very impressed with materials, fit and finish, have heard they are lighterweight than the Klim, but they were still plenty heavy for me. Pricing quite similar. If I were buying a set I'd order XL short I guess. I have 2-3 Klim bibs and pants and 2 Motorfist bibs/pants, all a few years older so I'm okay burning up a few sets and buying something new next year, am kind of hung up on "the principle of the thing" on the pricing, meaning I can afford them, but I think their pricing is ridiculous.

M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
The verdict is that they are both rediculously over priced... I'll spend $50 on wrapping the exhaust so I dont burn some Steep and Cheap specials and call it a day!

B

barefooter

Nov 27, 2007
Sherwood Park, AB
Klim's kept my *** dry in a deep day in MT last week. So far - so goof.

I am 6' and 185. I found the large's too short and went with a large tall.

T
Aug 12, 2008
Misery Bay, MI
I couldn't see spending $500 on pants... I went with KTM Hydroteq Pants, less than $150, mud/snow skirt in legs, waterproof liner, heat resistant cordura on the inside legs, hip pads, room for knee braces, venting. Wore them last weekend 2' powder and they are a winner for the price. They run somewhat small for motoross gear go up 4" instead of normal 2" from jean waist maybe more if you need lots of layering.

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
Timbersled had some input of the construction of the havoc bib. There is good reasoning behind why the Klim pants are heavier than the Motorfist. Klim has a very unique material in the butt and in the knees. It is a extra thick material with a very hi tech rubber laminate material on the inside that will never break down and start leaking from high abrasion of sitting on the seat. They say that this material is 500% stronger than Gore-Tex.

For us at Timbersled the biggest problem was that our normal sled style pants would start leaking in the butt after a couple of months hard use on the snow bikes. I guarantee in the long run the Klim havoc bib will outlast all other pants on the market.

Allen from Timbersled

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
I'll throw my 2 or 3 bits in.

Waterproofing- a narrow dirt bike seat puts stretching forces and wear on the butt of your pants in a completely different fashion than a snowmobile seat. A dirt bike seat really focuses the stretch and the rub. We've studied this extensively, and selected the butt material, construction method, and several other design concepts that specifically tuned the Havoc butt to the dirt bike seat. I do not think I could ever get the butt to leak. Perhaps if I left them in the hot sun for several summers and they somehow de-laminated internally... otherwise, I am confident my Havoc's will keep me dry every time I wear them. Any other pant with the typical cordura style outer layer with a membrane under it will never hold up to more than a half season of waterproofness for us.

Cut- We took Klim's knowledge of summer moto gear, their winter gear, and combined all of that into basically a ballistic waterproof over the boot moto pant. I went out last week and did almost 4000' of vertical in 5+ miles on snow shoes just to see how the pant performed. I popped out the knee pads and hit the trail. Knee articulation was awesome, the heat proof leather we selected never built snow or collected water, and I was bone dry and totally comfortable. Even in chest deep powder. Couldn't have been happier.

Burn resistance- I've had 3 different sets of Klim pants where I had leather on one leg and some other special fancy heat resistant material on the other. I had a Berg with left side headers, and rode all the other right side header bikes. Never burned a hole in Klim's special leather, and I burned holes in every other material tested, no matter how fancy the name of it was.

Experience. This is where the buck stops for me. Building something with experience and testing behind it is key. I know the Havoc's have all our knowledge, and all Klim's experience behind them. I have not ridden in or tested the other pants on the market, but to my knowledge their first time on a snow bike was during their photo shoot.

As always, we applaud innovation and any product that helps further our sport; and we fully welcome every new product people want to bring out. At Timbersled we're willing to test or look at anything or any ideas people have- and we get a LOT of them sent to us- and we appreciate it. We use what works the best- and for just that reason.
Blaser

MotorFist

Lifetime Membership
Mar 11, 2012
Motorfist headquarters
www.motorfist.com
I'm not going to spend more than $150 on something unless it's made in the USA/Canada, end of story. HEAR ME MOTORFIST??

We hear you...it is hard to find a outerwear product these days that is not manufactured overseas. Of course us and our competitors all build gear overseas. The cost to manufacture in the US/CAN is more than most people are able or willing to spend.

That being said, the 100% BURN-PROOF Tencate Advance™ material that is used on the lower leg of the Rebel Bib is actually manufactured by a true blue made in the USA company that also produces the fabric that is used by most firefighters. It is part of the reason we chose to use that material in the construction of this bib.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
We hear you...it is hard to find a outerwear product these days that is not manufactured overseas. Of course us and our competitors all build gear overseas. The cost to manufacture in the US/CAN is more than most people are able or willing to spend.

That being said, the 100% BURN-PROOF Tencate Advance™ material that is used on the lower leg of the Rebel Bib is actually manufactured by a true blue made in the USA company that also produces the fabric that is used by most firefighters. It is part of the reason we chose to use that material in the construction of this bib.

It is not the cost that we can't afford or are willing to spend, it is the reticules profit that can be made by going overseas. The real cost is what is happening to the economy and this place we call Home our counties and neighbours.
Right now I can just go on the internet buy directly from China and have the Chinese government pick up the freight bill. In time they will have Quality knock offs of Klim and Motofist gear at a fraction of the cost with no more need to shop with any Northamerican companies. If you are lucky they will just buy you out, unless they buy the competition first.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Got about 90 rides on my Rebels this year snowbiking them and another 10 on sleds. Worked really well for me. The thicker butt section is super nice especially if you have a stock moto seat. after about 30 or so rides I started getting a little damp in the butt section. Ran them through the wash with their tech wash and all was good again! Sitting sliding around on a hard moto seat takes a toll on the membrane and it will need washed to keep it performing proper. Spendy for sure, but compared to watching my buddies melt and shred other snowpants I feel like I came out ahead. Warm and dry is hard to put a price on!

I run a 14 YZ so I have hot exhaust all over the place, I did singe a tiny bit on the cuffs of the bottom under the burn proof fabric, but I spent a lot of time out riding. Overall very happy with them and I will be wearing them Next year!

Haven't the klim ones. just my .02 on the MF ones.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
wet or dri

when i began snowbiking none of knew we where going to spend so much time sitting down on the narrow bike seat after standing the last 15 years on our sleds.

I have four or five sets of gore tex sledding pant all good if I take out the M8. Wet butt in all of them on the bike on those days you like.
Broke for the Klim Sno Bike pants last years, dri butt on powder days and not so with my pals in their Klims.

So whatever they stuffed in those new pants works pretty good. Spring time I thought them a little heavy so I rode in my old goretex MX pants in March and April........the 2.5 track hucked enough snow I had wet butt even in spring sunshine, was warm and ok, but ichy on the ride back in the truck.

Now make a cheap waterproof butt spring pant.

M

mfatty

Dec 13, 2007
sheridan
Pants

I've owned both always been a die hard klim guy but I prefer the motorfist. Better fit seem more durable and never had a wet butt. The gaters seemed to be more boot friendly to keep snow out and fit with various brands of boots.

Premium Features