• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help with 01 air box delete

B

bluemountainrider

Nov 27, 2007
I have a 2001 800 summit X. Every time I take the air box out it is so hard to put it back in and get the boots lined up with the carb's. What do I have to do to my sled to take the air box off and leave it off. Thanks for any help you can give me.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Air Box

On our ZX I find if the boots are in good shape the system lines up fairly well and the clamps hold fine. Maybe a thin film of petroleum jelly on the mating surfaces will get you the slip fit you are desiring?

On a second note: The air box is more than just a silencer. It is a primary factor in the throttle response. Another factor is that the airbox is a tuned chamber that resonates at the RPM of the power peak - about 8000 rpm or 266 Hz. This increases the flow rate about 15% at the power peak - do the math on the horsepower.

After removing the airbox many folks complain of poor throttle response that requires extensive tuning. May not be worth the trade off unless the engine power peak RPM has been significantly changed through other mods (pipe, porting, compression ratio, carb size, etc) that cause the power peak to be higher (or lower) than the factory RPM of about 8000.

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
Cut a notch in the cowl above the box, gives you a little room getting it in there, like stated above a little lube on the boots, or I used to just spray the intake bell with some WD-40.

Seedie_Man

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2008
Park Rapids, MN
If you have the VForce3 spacers it's a pain. What I've done is move the gas tank back as far as possible. On all of mine I have even slotted the mounting holes of the gas tank to move it back. You have to take the seat off to get to the tank mounts.

Premium Features