• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

many issues resolved

Y
Nov 26, 2007
Well I am one happy camper, each ride is getting better and better. 08 wr 450 air box mod, pipe, throttle stop removed. I have tried yamaha mountain ski, gen 1 wiht pro billet mod and now gen II with pro billet mod. All on hard park and in pow. This past weeeknd was an absolutely epic ride. The Gen II is the ****, floats, carves, jumps form pow to trail or old tracks with ease.
Also resolved my intake issues, foam install around airbox and with now intake issues a full day of absolutely epic riding. Was with a bud on a 2012 yz450, he had gen 1. Jumping back and forth the wr kicked butt in floatation and handling.

I am one happy mt horse customer!! Saturday can not come quick enough as it has been snowing all week. Maybe a sick day????

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
Thats great Yukondood sounds like you got most of the bugs worked out. Seems like the standard issues with these kits is the whimpie ski and sealing off your air box yet still letting it breath. A friend of mine turned me on to these Frogzskin and they worked great for my airbox. http://www.frogzskin.com/

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I'll also give the thumbs up on the Frogskinz for the outer air intakes. My buddy has them on his KX450 and they work great.

Good news on the rocking WR! Did you end up doing any front suspension work to help with the soft forks? Also, another good idea would be to add a couple spacers to the back Mtn Tamer suspension.... this will keep the rear suspension from fully extending and help to keep some more weight transferred to the rear and off the front ski.

You defiantly want ski pressure but the WR has a more open front rake than the MX bikes and needs a little pressure taken off the front ski.

Y
Nov 26, 2007
ski pressurre

tell me more or show some pics of the rear skid with spacers.
my understanding is the geometry of wr is same a yz??

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
I think as for the front suspension allot of it would be fixed with a different ski, the Simmons is just is to small and to flexible and wants to submarine and fold when in deep snow. I went with the Curve XS ski and like it allot. As for the rear suspension I also would like some more detailed info and maybe pics also. Thanks.

:face-icon-small-hap

Y
Nov 26, 2007
gen II

I was out yesterday in 2-3 feet of fresh pow and hte Gen II rocked. Obviuosly floats better than Gen I and the yammi powder ski I also had with me. started with the pro billet mod on and hit some overflow, the ski immediately iced up and filled with snow. Removed the centre keel and never had the problem again all day.

Unfortunaltey had some snow sneaking into airbox and will need to rethink a few things there. was with my usual crew on their sleds, we tend to pound the trees, creeks and ravines pretty hard, they were all doubters of the snowbike and each were blown away quickly. 2 of them rode it and have them thinking about a purchase the others were simply amazed at the speed through the trees and the nimbleness. Unfortunately I spent a fair bit of time on my own as there were places they just could not get to or had to take several runs at or find different routes.

Loving the Mt Horse!!!

Y
Nov 26, 2007
wahooo

chain tension- check
skid greased- check
slight ski mod - check
core exp rekluse installed- check
more air box prefilter material- check
oil changed- check
bring on the weekend

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Oh crap I didn't even see the requests for the spacer info on the rear skid. My bad! I'll take some pictures of where you place the spacers sometime this week. Easy mod to do!

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I was out yesterday in 2-3 feet of fresh pow and hte Gen II rocked. Obviuosly floats better than Gen I and the yammi powder ski I also had with me.

How well did it maintain the sidehill? Did you notice any difference when darting through the tight trees (think nimbleness)? I've been thinking that the ticket might be keeping both skis in the truck and deciding which one to use on the spot and doing a quick swap out when I unload. So far my only real complaint with the standard Simmons is the flotation... I can easily deal with the darting on the trail since I get off of it ASAP.

Premium Features