• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Too MUCH compression

S
Sep 13, 2009
I have a 2002 Skidoo 800 that has a "Torqueline" head on the engine. The compression is so high that I can barely pull the engine over - so starting it is not fun. Has anyone had an issue like this - and if so - how was it resolved?
I do not want to spend 600 bucks on e-start for old sled.....
Thanks!

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Compression

No experience on that machine but Polaris addresses that problem with a decompression hole in the cylinder. This is a small hole in the cylinder wall just above the exhaust port. It vents to the exhaust. Allows a drop in compression for starting but because of location it doesn't affect it much after the machine is running. Not sure if Ski-Doo ever did something like that. If they did, maybe the hole is plugged on yours. Dealer may be able to tell you if they did.
Your only option may be to have the head opened up to lower the compression a little.
Again, I am not sure if you have O rings for head gasket or a regular gasket. If regular, you could try a double gasket. That would lower the compression.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Wasn't there something with the recoils on those Doos? Seem to remember hard turning over and a couple of "recoil-kits"? Was it Cat 900 recoils or..?

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
I have a 2002 Skidoo 800 that has a "Torqueline" head on the engine. The compression is so high that I can barely pull the engine over - so starting it is not fun. Has anyone had an issue like this - and if so - how was it resolved?
I do not want to spend 600 bucks on e-start for old sled.....
Thanks!
Are you working on the sled and have the primary off while trying to start.

Texasron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Dallas, Tx
Skidome

Reason for "No Thanks" is they are too busy working out and laughing to send a thanks..... Did this thread REALLY start 2 years ago?

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
I find with the higher compression motors often the first four pulls or so I pull very slow and deliberate then the short hard fast pulls which seem to be easier after the foreplay..

Premium Features