• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

set up tip 08 wr 450 with mtn tamer

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Just ordered a set of 0.52 springs for the front forks. 0.52 is the stiffest spring made for the WR450 that I can find. I'll post back on the results. Bottom line, the stock springs in the WR450 will NOT perform well. Rode a KX450 the other day with a stiff front end and the control/ride is night and day.

It seems that the must have list for the WR450 so far is:
- stiff front forks (and possibly change out the oil to something thicker)
- handlebar riser
- double-wide foot pegs
- 60inch brake line for hand brake operation vs. foot brake
- improved starter button (mine froze and broke on it's own yesterday, plastic is out, new rubber starter button in)
- airbox prefiltering

As soon as I get the jetting dialed in I will be experimenting with gearing the bike down to maintain higher track speed in 3rd. Power falls off a bit with the current gearing, but I 'm going to dial in the carb first to make sure I'm not losing any power at altitude.

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
here is a question for ya, last night I put pre filter material over the top intake under the seat on the air box, after I glued it on I thought, I wonder if snow would pack up under the seat and cover the intake...? what do you think, does much snow get up there? glad to hear about the forks issue, I already have the stiffer springs!

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
It's actually pretty easy.
1. Loosen off all drive chains.
2. Loosen all fasteners that hold the bearings that keep everything aligned.
3. Make all shaft perpendicular as needed, tighten down the bearing holders (they are all on slotted holes).
4. Don't over tighten your drive chains, or you'll pull everything out of alignment again.

Making sure everything this is straight is the hard part, I'd say use some marker or dye-blue on the sprockets and do a quick test run to see if one side is wearing more than another. There really isn't much clearance to accurately see if all output/input shafts are running true to each other.

How do you get the axels realigned? Seems like they end up back in the same spot once you tighten everything back down. My drive sprocket is not aligned correctly, causing excessive wear on the sprocket. Same problem on other kits that I've looked at.

I wasn't aware of any alignment adjustments.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
here is a question for ya, last night I put pre filter material over the top intake under the seat on the air box, after I glued it on I thought, I wonder if snow would pack up under the seat and cover the intake...? what do you think, does much snow get up there? glad to hear about the forks issue, I already have the stiffer springs!

Well, it all depends on what the riding conditions are like. Super fine powder will definitely start to build on the prefilters and it would probably be best to limit most of it to the outside of the box (by prefiltering the intake holes on the outside of the bike).

I pulled my airbox open mid-day from the side panel after riding this week and the box was clean and had no snow in it yet. However, I laid the bike over in the trees a couple times and that really forces large chunks of snow through the intake to the under-seat area. This is another reason to have a prefilter on the outside of the bike plastic.

I'll be doing my filtering this next week and I'll post some pics. Lots of extras going on before next weekend so I should have a decent report about installation issues.

S
Dec 9, 2011
Altitude

Haha all this talk about running rich at 5600ft... I just have to climb the hill in my back yard to get that high... The sad thing is I don't even have enough snow on the ground to fill a coffee cup :(

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Just a quick update before I get my jetting dialed in.....

BIG THUMBS UP to the Guts Racing soft seat. My a$$ doesn't feel like it's been pounded by the fist of an angry god after riding all day today. Great upgrade!

Guts Racing Website

Also, those Pro Moto Billet foot pegs are a must. I don't care how much they cost... stock pegs are worthless. They grab my Klim Adrenalin boot in a way that makes my foot stick to the pegs sometimes. I laid the bike over twice today just for that reason.

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
rush44, how did your forks end up, did you ever get them dialed in? rode mine at the snowx track by my house in "brown central" mn:face-icon-small-fro even with the stiffer springs and it was still soft (with the comp and rebound in the middle.) so I cranked both up to the last click and I plan on riding it tomorrow, hopefully it will be better.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
The forks are very nice now. The bike handles so much better and bounces through the woods without submarining every time. The 0.52nm springs are what I went with (stiffest in the book) and I added 10cc's of oil in the forks. Currently I'm at the middle setting on comp and rebound and I might stiffen them up just a touch more.

Overall, the fork upgrade was huge. Glad I did it.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
rush44, how did your forks end up, did you ever get them dialed in? rode mine at the snowx track by my house in "brown central" mn:face-icon-small-fro even with the stiffer springs and it was still soft (with the comp and rebound in the middle.) so I cranked both up to the last click and I plan on riding it tomorrow, hopefully it will be better.

Just a little update on the forks issues....

I know my last post said they were way better, but I really didn't get to ride the bike like I should. I took the bike out last Thursday and experienced much of what you said.... still soft. So for my next ride I cranked the comp clockwise on the bottom of the forks to the max setting and backed it off a click, and then cranked the rebound COUNTER-clockwise (to the S position, not the H) and backed it off a click to speed up the rebound. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. The forks still aren't as stiff as a motorcross bike but they are way better.... dramatically so. I was thinking about switching bikes on Thursday, but after our ride yesterday I'm not even going to think about it this year.

I may end up also trading out the Yamaha S1 fork oil for something heavier like a 10weight oil. It should even further stiffen the forks with that change-over. I'll keep you posted.

Another tip... drop your 13 tooth sprocket in the front for a 12 tooth. My third gear is now a great puller and I spend almost all my time there. 2nd and 3rd are 99% of my riding.

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
just picked up a used kit and will install on my 08 wr 450

specifically breather hoses, air fitler and jetting.

what are guys doing with vent lines

what about air filter is a mesh filter over top of faom filter enough

jetting for 2-7000feet -15 celcius range

thanks in advance

I have bought mesh fabric and have made a "bag" where I let all vent lines except the one from the valve cover out. I have fastened it with zip ties and works great. Also made side covers to cover up any missing parts due to dismounted when kit on. Works superb!

Vent line from valve cover I have put a T on and have a thinner hose that comes out up near the battery under my seat on my wr450 -06. That hose has a meshcover on it too that is zip tied onto the hose. Has worked like a charm for 2 years.

Rob

Premium Features