• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 summit 700 won't start! Need help!!!

Jonathanpitzl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2013
Wabasso mn
I just rebuilt my summit 700 and now it takes a lot of pulls to start. Once it's started it runs fine. So I was riding yesterday and shut it off outside to go into my buddy's shop. An hour later I went to start it to leave and it won't start. So we let it sit in his 65 degree shop over night and it still won't start. It has fresh gas, sparks, carbs cleaned, exhaust valves cleaned and ready to go, we even tried putting gas down the cylinders and it just back fired. What do I do next?

Jonathanpitzl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2013
Wabasso mn
The compression test was broke or something cause it showed both at 31 psi and it blew my fingers off when I pulled it over

Jonathanpitzl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2013
Wabasso mn
Tested the compressing tester on an m7 and had 130, so the summit has good pistons and we took them off and spun the crack by had and I noticed the crank was bent, I could see the end that the clutch goes on moves when I spin it, how does this make for loss of comperssion?

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Shouldn't have any effect on compression on a reed motor, but it will throw your timing out of whack.

You said that you had 31# on this motor.
If the tester showed 130# on the M7, then it sounds like you aint got no compression.

You said that you just "rebuilt" the motor, but it sounds like your reeds are for junk!

Did you pressure test both cyls?

Last edited:

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
41# compression is why it won't start. Something definitely wrong with the top end for numbers like that. On top of that if the crank is not true it will take out the crank bearings in a hurry. When you rebuilt it what all did you do?

Jonathanpitzl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2013
Wabasso mn
Left side piston and cylinder went bad, part of the ring broke off and bounced until it flew out of the exhaust, got a good used cylinder and and put spi pistons in it with new gaskets

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Well - you could have left some small pieces down in the case when you put it back together, and they could have destroyed that side and cause 41#, but the other side?

It would be possible for a chunk to go out the Y pipe and get sucked back into the other cyl to destroy that one too, but ???

But having the same 41# on both sides seems REALLY strange!
I'm thinkin' that maybe you don't have something right on your comp tester.

At 41# both sides, you should be about pulling the rope out of the end of the recoil since it pulls over so easy. Does it pull over REAL easy with plugs in both cyls?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Pull the y pipe off and turn the motor over so you can see the rings and pistons. It almost sounds like the rings are badly damaged. Probably the best thing to do would be to pull the jugs off and have a look at the top end.

jheitzman

Lifetime Membership
Jun 18, 2011
Milltown, SD
Make sure you put the correct size pistons back in when you rebuilt it the first time in case it has been bored

Josh

Premium Features