• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stage 3 or Stage 4 Kit From SLP for Pro

PROJack66

Premium Member
Feb 9, 2012
Watertown SD
Looking into SLP's stage 3 or 4 kit. Anyone out there running either or have history with both? I'm sure they both are a nice upgrade but is the reliability good with both. Don't want to have to mess with the sled a ton other than clutching for proper elevation. Are the fairly reliable or should I stay away and stay stock with no issues?

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Rebuild it first. I added a pipe and reeds after 700 miles and really didn't notice it. Added the head to complete Stage III over the summer and had multiple issues. Pulled motor apart to find piston and ring damage right where the intake charge comes in. I believe, and I may be wrong, but I believe I did the mods after the damage was there and that is why I didn't see any increase in power. Put sled back to stock after rebuild since I am going to get a 13 anyways. No use selling it with the kit. Sled runs great now.

After you rebuild, turn up the pump about 3 turns, and run oil in your tank. You should have no problems...if you already run extra oil, have at it and enjoy the power.

I rode a Stage III kit last weekend and it was noticably different than stock, which it wasn't on my sled.

SLP makes good stuff.

D
Feb 12, 2009
Kemmerer, WY
I have about 600 miles on stage 4 kit with no problems. Won't quite run with a turbo for extreme climbing, but doesn't do too bad against my buddies turbo Pro. Low/mid range is terrific. I have been running straight ethanol 91 with Startron treatment and have hit the det sensor three times.

Premium Features