• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

best pipes

S

snopro176

Nov 27, 2007
Yuba City,CA
loud pipes saves lives END OF STORY. Yea its a good idea to TRY and please the treehugn dickbags that want all of us gone but thats not whats gonna save us...OH and my cpi twins with twin stingers run GREAT and sound even better:D

F
Aug 17, 2010
K-Town, BC
And this is where education comes into play, loud sleds are not ok.... What planet do you live on?? And actually, loud Harley's are not ok if the Police would actually enforce the noise ordinances, but they don't. We lose land everyday for all sorts of reasons including noise. Anyways, don't want to be the forum police, just calling a spade a spade!!

Why would we lose land because of noise? Lets face it, in Winter time there arnt many hikers or anyone out in the middle of the bush when its covered in snow so who cares if someone is out there on a sled making a bit of noise here and there. Most of the time ill go sledding with my mates and not see a single other sled for 8 hours. Its not like we are driving our big V10 powerboats on the lakes or our big diesel trucks around town where there are people to annoy.

Besides, it helps my friends find me when I get lost in the backcountry. :D

F
Aug 17, 2010
K-Town, BC
I have a 04 kingcat 900. I was wondering what the best exhaust was for it? Like single pipe and can or twin pipes. Thanks.

Back on topic here, I have D&D twins, I like them, they sound different, not sure if thats the can though, more of a tinny sound. Not the standard thump thump thump that most sleds around here sound like. Pretty loud though, but you cant hear shi7 when you have your helmet on anyway. I definetely noticed the power difference when I rode a mates 04 efi 900 with stock pipe and can.

Get twins fo sho!

C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Why would we lose land because of noise? Lets face it, in Winter time there arnt many hikers or anyone out in the middle of the bush when its covered in snow so who cares if someone is out there on a sled making a bit of noise here and there. Most of the time ill go sledding with my mates and not see a single other sled for 8 hours. Its not like we are driving our big V10 powerboats on the lakes or our big diesel trucks around town where there are people to annoy.

Unfortunately logic doesn't win us our land back!! Again, I go back to Education, enough said!! Talk to the guys who ride McCall, Idaho about noise. Or look at Yellowstone.

In Utah, the SLP Single is better than Twins in the steep and deep.

Last edited:
T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon

I don't know what planet you live on but sound is a battle in all of powersports, huge battle. Where I normally stage from is a shared XC ski, snowshoe, BC skiing and snowmobile trail head, it our duty to be respectful(read quiet) or they will want us gone. Trust me, the forest service, actually any land managers will always side with the elitist with there XC skis and hiking boots. Being loud never earns you friends, and we need to form alliances where ever we can or we will be shut out. :rain:

F
Aug 17, 2010
K-Town, BC
I live right here in BC bro, I only started sledding last year but never heard any complaints or anything in the news of people complaining about loud sleds. Like I said, just loud trucks, Harleys and boats on the lakes. Of the 6-8 places we went sledding last season, only 1 had XC skiiers/hikers but after 10 mins of sledding their trials ended and it was sleds only. All im saying is I dont hear any talk out here about shutting any sled access down. Most places we staged from were snowmobile clubs so if the XC skiiers are up there then they cant really complain now can they since the Sled clubs maintain the roads etc.

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
I see idiots...........

Look around! Ever ride a dirtbike? Ask an offroad dirtbiker about noise. What you see the dirtbike guys dealing with, is what we will be dealing with soon. Lots of areas closed to motorized vehicles. I dont know about Canada, but here in the states for sure. Go ahead and have your loud pipes that save lives. No law that says you cant, but there will be! Sooner than you think.
I dont use a snowflap, I do have a set of Balls. Do you have a brain, that you use?

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
I live right here in BC bro, I only started sledding last year but never heard any complaints or anything in the news of people complaining about loud sleds. Like I said, just loud trucks, Harleys and boats on the lakes. Of the 6-8 places we went sledding last season, only 1 had XC skiiers/hikers but after 10 mins of sledding their trials ended and it was sleds only. All im saying is I dont hear any talk out here about shutting any sled access down. Most places we staged from were snowmobile clubs so if the XC skiiers are up there then they cant really complain now can they since the Sled clubs maintain the roads etc.

Once your more involved with the sport it will be more clear. I too rarely see XC skiers or other BC users once I'm more then a mile or two from the parking lot but that doesn't mean they can't hear me. The noise problem will not be on the local news, it will not be in the local paper, but I can tell you that there are local meetings regarding access to the land you ride, and the tree huggers are there supporting closing the forests to all motorized recreation. At these meetings maybe one or two snowmobile club members will be there to speak up against them. Tree huggers are organized, have $ backing them and are vocal, we need to do the same but not with our exhaust pipes. Take it from a dirt biker/snowmobiler that has seen 1,000's of acres of local public land closed to motorized recreation.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
You wan't to keep it as quiet as possible but it really doesn't matter if people keep littering over the mountain sides. I feel that is probably the main problem.

Mike

I
Oct 10, 2009
SLC, UT
There are two reasons people hate snowmobiles and they are because they beat them to the pow even though they wake up two hours later and because they are loud and ruin their otherwise peaceful experience. Excessively obnoxious pipes make sledders look like reckless hillbillies with no respect for the mountains.

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
I agree with Mike900. But, ............

Very good point Mike. I dont like to see people littering anywhere, much less on the hill. Here is what I know though. Some of us locals organized a cleanup at the Gold Creek snopark a few years ago. Ya, there was lots of crap picked up in "our" area. Just as much, if not more at the non-motorized end. I was amazed that the xc skiers, hikers, tubers, ect. littered that much. They are supposed to be the "greenies". Not us. I think for the most part snomobilers are pretty good. A few, make lots look bad. I'm done with this, I hope all of us have an incredible winter! Good Luck.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
My sled's loud and I don't like it much.....

I don't care about the people who are always trying to take away public land from our use. They're going to keep doing what they're doing no matter what we do. I do try to keep my sled away from the average person and only unleash it out beyond their ears.
One thing that does concern me is the division between us. I've worked on many projects to support sportsmen and their fight to keep access. Our opposition will list every item they can think of, valid or not. You can not win anything by addressing their lists point by point.
Talking between us about these things is fine as long as you realize we are brothers in our passionate sport. Lock your arms together and stand firm. We will gradually loose the battle but lets slow the pace.

Owen

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Unfortunately logic doesn't win us our land back!! Again, I go back to Education, enough said!! Talk to the guys who ride McCall, Idaho about noise. Or look at Yellowstone.

In Utah, the SLP Single is better than Twins in the steep and deep.

Whats going on in MCall was going there this winter???????

S

snopro176

Nov 27, 2007
Yuba City,CA
Exactly. Im not saying a set of drag pipes is the way to go,but factory pipes with twin silencers,are louder than stock but i mean good god. you ride by nice a slow and they hear that LOUD part for what,15 seconds? Quiet your sled down all you want,they will STILL not wave when you go by and still hate you when you leave. THEN they will ask you to go rescue them when they get lost a mile from the parking lot in a blizzard.:face-icon-small-con

C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Whats going on in MCall was going there this winter???????

Been a few years since I was there, but they had a noise ordinance at the parking lot near the ski resort. I'm not even sure what they are doing now. Anyways, bask then they would have Fish Cops in the parking lot with sound meters making sure sleds met a certain decibal. Was just using it as an example.

F
Aug 17, 2010
K-Town, BC
That blows my mind that someone would waste there time checking the sound levels of someones sled all day. Thankfully I dont know where McCall is and dont ever plan on going there. Smoke some BC Bud yall and chill the F out.

Premium Features