• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Ski Doo 800 DI.........

B

bigcat_ak

Nov 27, 2007
North Pole Alaska
BWAahahahahaha. 600 E-tek makes no more hp than any other sled. Even if it does make good power they had better find a set of clutches. hehehe.lol.;)

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
BWAahahahahaha. 600 E-tek makes no more hp than any other sled. Even if it does make good power they had better find a set of clutches. hehehe.lol.;)

Good thing its not a 600 then ;)

I just hope its not like the dragon where Ski Doo lets the riders do all the testing and tuning......
:p

I wont buy one any time soon, I am sure they will want a goldmine for the damn thing....

I will catch one when some kid gets tired of its color and needs to trade up for a new sticker scheme :D :beer;:beer;:beer;

I
Nov 26, 2007
anyone else remember when the 600 SDI came out and was supposed to get 200 miles per tank....but didn't?

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
anyone else remember when the 600 SDI came out and was supposed to get 200 miles per tank....but didn't?

I had one of those sleds for a while... (awesome sled btw-- lacked a little power on the top end- but still a solid sled)

I never paid much attention to the gas mileage, never had too. I dont know if it got 200 or not, but I do know that I would have plenty of gas left when everyone else was ready to head back...

My worst purchase for that sled was the caddy can..... NEVER needed it...

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
Since they are last, lets hope they took the time to do the RND and not drop the ball to the consumers.

at $11,000.00+ its insane that manufacturers would put out a 1/2 assed product....

(For the record the cheapest new car in the USA is sold at about = $9,500.00) and it comes with a 100,000 mile warranty :D )

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
The little videos are pretty neat. I never fully understood how a two stroke worked until just now.

yeah- I watched all the lil video's, they have included some very nice technology in those engines... The auto fogger is awesome for summer storage.

If the mapping is correct, I imagine its an awesome reliable sled...

(and turbo ready ;) )

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
yeah- I watched all the lil video's, they have included some very nice technology in those engines... The auto fogger is awesome for summer storage.

If the mapping is correct, I imagine its an awesome reliable sled...

(and turbo ready ;) )

wont be much of a turbo sled..or pipes or anything else from what I have heard..the injection is pretty much maxed stock...no room to make more power....only bad thing about this design..sounds like you have to replace the whole fuel system to mod it(I am sure someone will figure out a way to do it though).....

A
Dec 11, 2007
And it'll cost $50,000,000!!!

BTW just to let everyone know....Bombardier is not the pioneer of this technology like they want to claim. Bimota started developing this technology back in the 90's on their Vdue bike. It was very erratic. Aprilia then built a system for their scooters which increased mileage and power dramatically. It worked great on the small piston scooters but they still didn't have the injector technology to get a complete burn on the larger piston machines, too much surface area, too little injection time.

Now orbital has made this a success. We'll see how the 8 does with it. My guess is skidoo will release an awesome motor with a small devastating flaw. Like their other motors there will be a stupid gasket, seal, ring, or something costing less than $1 that craps the bed. Or it'll have a chaincase that leaks more oil than holds. Or possibly a belt than can not withstand the abuse. Basically making an otherwise great sled into a POS that has to have $$$ dumped into it before it becomes reliable (insert Team conversion kit here!).

A million year warranty does not help sledders! What we need is something reliable that doesn't need warranty work every weekend...eating up our riding time. If anyone wants to compare which sleds are the best go by a service dept. on a Sat and hang out for a while and Watch!!!

Hopefully Doo gets this one right...Let's hope they hold on releasing the machine until they get it 150% spot on. You can also bet there will be little chance for a turbo until someone builds a new head with 2 injectors. The single injector will not flow enough during appr. 60 degrees of timing.

Last edited:
A

AK_ride

Dec 21, 2009
Demo rides

AMDS is getting in a Summit and a MXZ with the 800 ETEC. They have a sign up sheet for those who want to demo the sleds. I was told they don't have dates set yet, but it will likely be towards the end of February. Plans are to setup a test ride date South of Anchorage and another test ride North of Anchorage.

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
And it'll cost $50,000,000!!!

BTW just to let everyone know....Bombardier is not the pioneer of this technology like they want to claim. Bimota started developing this technology back in the 90's on their Vdue bike. It was very erratic. Aprilia then built a system for their scooters which increased mileage and power dramatically. It worked great on the small piston scooters but they still didn't have the injector technology to get a complete burn on the larger piston machines, too much surface area, too little injection time.

Now orbital has made this a success. We'll see how the 8 does with it. My guess is skidoo will release an awesome motor with a small devastating flaw. Like their other motors there will be a stupid gasket, seal, ring, or something costing less than $1 that craps the bed. Or it'll have a chaincase that leaks more oil than holds. Or possibly a belt than can not withstand the abuse. Basically making an otherwise great sled into a POS that has to have $$$ dumped into it before it becomes reliable (insert Team conversion kit here!).

A million year warranty does not help sledders! What we need is something reliable that doesn't need warranty work every weekend...eating up our riding time. If anyone wants to compare which sleds are the best go by a service dept. on a Sat and hang out for a while and Watch!!!

Hopefully Doo gets this one right...Let's hope they hold on releasing the machine until they get it 150% spot on. You can also bet there will be little chance for a turbo until someone builds a new head with 2 injectors. The single injector will not flow enough during appr. 60 degrees of timing.

dont Doo hate :p

Let me know how the Dragon runs tomorrow after Pville.

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
DI is the right direction but I bet retail will be $13,000+ for the 800. Anyone want to sell their 2010 at the end of May for $6,000?

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Great, now there are 800cc E-Tec beer cans that I'll have to tow out of the mountains this year.. It never stops does it? :rolleyes: Be grateful I own a cat or you guys would never get out of the mountains on your own.. :)

N
Dec 8, 2007
East Side A-Town
DI and naturally aspirated combo is nice, but a DI combo and forced induction would be even better.

You get to run alot more compression, with the same amount of octane, and since you have a more equal spread over the combustion area to utilize the cooling property of fuel you get even more bang for the buck. Go ask Ford how they can make 350HP with a 3.5 DI Econoboost V6 that has 2 small turbo's, in the SHO 10.2:1 compression. Non DI combo would be asking for issues.

As someone mentioned before, the issue is getting fuel delivery, im sure the same will be the same on sleds as they are with automakers and people who are modfiying direct injection systems. Injectors, and fuel pumps have no overhead, and aftermarket supply is close to zero, even with the demand/supply, its a such a new technology the price is crazy.

It would be interesting to see what the difference is in compression numbers vs a 800r and 800 ETEC. That is where the power gain will come from.

Premium Features