• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tunnel Rivets???

S

sledbilly

Apr 9, 2007
steel.

I would not depend on AL pop rivets (assuming hardware store bought) to join structural members.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
it will hold up under at least 6-8 rides with the alum rivets worse case take a few and a hand puller to replace the ones with broken head on the ride.

sledstormed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho
I used alum on my M1000 tunnel extension (153 to 162), have rode all winter on them and no problems..........................

Bushpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2005
Use the aluminum rivets. If you use dissimilar metals this will cause both metals to corrode. If you want the rivets to last use solid aircraft rivets. The second best would be to use a Cherry Max Pop rivet. They are an alloy metal specifically used for structural. Both would hold up as a pemanant fix for your tunnel

S

Samurai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
CALGARY
Use the aluminum rivets. If you use dissimilar metals this will cause both metals to corrode. If you want the rivets to last use solid aircraft rivets. The second best would be to use a Cherry Max Pop rivet. They are an alloy metal specifically used for structural. Both would hold up as a pemanant fix for your tunnel

So your telling me every CR Tunnel is doomed? Chad installs with SS rivets and supplies SS rivets with every do it yourself kit.

L

lynxer292b

Jan 19, 2009
Arctic Cat gets their rivets from Fastenal I do not know the part # any more, but they are an extra strong rivet made soaly for snowobile chassis ask your fastenal dealer. They are steel and coated to prevent corroding. They use these rivets because they are strong. I am very sorry to tell you, but you are probably best off to drill them out and put the good rivets in or you have a great chance of failure. There is alot of stress on those rivets. It might not just fall apart the first time you ride, but after a while and some abuse from the hill you will probably see some distortiona nd the tunnel will get kind of loose leading to vibration while riding and possible track allignement issues.

L

lynxer292b

Jan 19, 2009
Disregard my last post. The rear tunnel section will not have much stress on it and AL rivets will be fine.

Premium Features