• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ignition help

K
Nov 6, 2008
Prince George, B.C.
Hey guys, so in march I had the recoil in my sled fall apart while riding, got the sled started but about 5km down the road she died and wouldn't start. Drug it home and got a new recoil, fired up moved about 30ft and died, ran rough. Now thats all it does, runs crappy, dies, wont start for a while, then does it all over. Now my question is could this be something simple like a Peice of something rolling around from the recoil? And I have a complete ignition from a 95 but don't know how to time it in my 99, would it work to just use the stationary 99 stator plate? Thanks

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
Well your starter would be killed if anything was loose or anything in there, so you shouldn't be able to pull it over. As for the stator I would use the 95 complete set up as the 99 one is completely different. Motors are the same as far as I have seen besides the ignition changes and carb changes and slight porting differences in them. Look into your coil also cut off 1/4" off both sides of the wire and turn them back in I have seen this lots and loose spark when hot. Cat coils are famous in my eyes for doing this if you don't check them a few times a year they do back off quite a bit. I have a complete 94 ZR 700 top end if your interested shot me a PM Iam selling it cheap just making some space.

B
Dec 5, 2007
Like Firecat99 said... the earlier 700 ignitions and the later ones..1999-2001 or so (When they drug the 7000 twin motor out of retirement) are different. The stators, stator mounting plate and cdi boxes are different. The triggers should be the same and the coils are the same. The older 700's were a closed loop ignition while the 1998 and "newer" sleds are open loop. You can't mix and match stators and cdi boxes from different eras. The later ZR700 stators were specific to that model...no other stator fits/works on the 700's.

sprockethead

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern UT
Have you pulled the flywheel/stator off yet? I had this happen to one of my SnoPro's a few years back and it ran like crap too when I just swapped out the recoil. Took it apart and there was pieces off the recoil in between the flywheel and stator raising havack. The flywheel was wasted and had to replace it but luckily the stator was still in working order. Worked well after that.

Good Luck, Sprocket

K
Nov 6, 2008
Prince George, B.C.
I wanted to use all the 95 parts, but keep the 99 plate that the stator mounts too so I wouldn't have to time it. does someone know how to time the 95 ignition? I haven't had the flywheel off yet, recoil came apart last ride of the season so haven't spent any time on it

P
Dec 28, 2010
Duvall Wa
You don't have to time it. It all fits together and there is no adjustment. I think you might have some metal stuck to the outside of the flywheel or inside it. Take it all apart inspect it and put it back together and try it. Test the stator when your done . The are several youtube videos on line to see how to do this. Good luck

K
Nov 6, 2008
Prince George, B.C.
Sorry to dig this thread back up but I thought an update might be helpful for some, I pulled the flywheel and there were plastic shavings everywhere from the failed recoil, blew it all out with the compressor and it seems to be running awesome now.

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Sounds like you dodged a bullet on that one. Usually it is pieces of metal flying around that damage magnets on the flywheel and wiring on the stator, Congrats.

Premium Features