• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

altitude compensator problems

M
Jan 20, 2013
'97 600 tripple suddenly started leaking gas through two left carbs. basically siphened tank empty, and floods terribly. I reset the floats but cannot id the problem! think i should remove altitude compensator, but not sure how to do it, or if that is really the problem. Help!

A
Apr 30, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
'97 600 tripple suddenly started leaking gas through two left carbs. basically siphened tank empty, and floods terribly. I reset the floats but cannot id the problem! think i should remove altitude compensator, but not sure how to do it, or if that is really the problem. Help!

The altitude compensator lowers the pressure (places a slight vacuum) in the fuel bowls to make it run leaner as you go up in altitude. Where did the fuel leak from? If the compensator fails, the mixture goes to a rich mixture to protect the engine. The altitude compensator system was allready removed when I bought my 97. Per the Cat manual, with the compensator the jetting is 390 for main, 40 for pilot. The jetting I have with it removed is 240 for main and 50 for pilot. I ride at 7500 - 9000 ft elevation in temperatures ~ 20 - 40 degrees. It runs great with that jetting, if anything still a little rich.

M
Jan 20, 2013
when it quit running we were going over some bumpy ground and it went from perfect to crap in seconds and had to get pulled home. the two left jugs foul out and there was several quarts of gas on gound when it sat overnight. i ran it for one season and all was great (other than being stuck cause of that dam tripple) very frustrating!

Premium Features