• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GoPro Question???

M

mtsummitx

Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT
I recently got a GoPro and have a question. Now, please keep in mind when you answer that I am a complete tech dummy :face-icon-small-hap So, please speak in terms I can understand. I recorded a little test video to make sure it works, about 2min 30sec long. I imported into the Gopro CineForm studio, converted it, edited a little, then exported as mp4 to my computer. This 2min video says it is 2.1GB (which seems really big to me for only 2Min's) tried to upload video to facebook, and after about 15mins, only 45MB had uploaded?????? Did I do something wrong, why is only 2mins such a big file?????

Thanks for help!

Goin For Snow

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2002
South Haven MN
I recently got a GoPro and have a question. Now, please keep in mind when you answer that I am a complete tech dummy :face-icon-small-hap So, please speak in terms I can understand. I recorded a little test video to make sure it works, about 2min 30sec long. I imported into the Gopro CineForm studio, converted it, edited a little, then exported as mp4 to my computer. This 2min video says it is 2.1GB (which seems really big to me for only 2Min's) tried to upload video to facebook, and after about 15mins, only 45MB had uploaded?????? Did I do something wrong, why is only 2mins such a big file?????

Thanks for help!

not to highjack but one tech dummy to another, where do you get gopro cineform?

S
Aug 11, 2011
MT
link to gopro cineform, its free,safe and straight from go pro.

http://gopro.com/3d-cineform-studio-software-download/

To the OP your videos size of 1-2 GB is correct. The HD videos carry "A LOT" of memory. If you want to post it to facebook you have to downsize it to a smaller resolution if you ever want it to load. Youtube on the otherhand converts it for you. The overall best setting for the basic user is the r4 720p by 60fps setting. This provides nice slo mo, and you dont get the 960 or 1080p crazy large files. Hope this helps.

M

mtsummitx

Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT
Thanks Shred, one more question. I pulled the video straight from the memory card into windows media player, and the file is only 277MB, the drawback to this method is not being able to edit. Why does it go from 277MB to 1.21GB once imported into the Cineform Studio and edited??

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
I just got a Hero 2 and the MiFi backpac today. I have updated both via CineForm Studio, downloaded the GoPro app for my iPhone 5, and connected the wireless in my iPhone settings. It is awesome that my phone works as the remote. ShredTheRev answered my first question which was about resolution settings. I knew I should probably run 720 but wasn't sure about the 30 or 60 FPS (frames per second). My second question is the lens view, wide, medium or narrow and why? Third question is what are your opinions about where to mount the camera. I do like to ride in the trees, so where is the best place for the video and pictures and the safest from getting ripped off?

S
Aug 11, 2011
MT
Thanks Shred, one more question. I pulled the video straight from the memory card into windows media player, and the file is only 277MB, the drawback to this method is not being able to edit. Why does it go from 277MB to 1.21GB once imported into the Cineform Studio and edited??

i believe windows media player is compressing the file due to whatever form of upload you are using. Where as the cineform is uploading full gopro hd in full format. When i used to have a pc i used windows movie maker for basic editing because it was the most basic method although there are tricks to everything when dealing with hd files. I found that to be the easiest without messing with a program that compresses the video. On my mac i just use imovie and it does all the work for me. As stated before make sure to turn the camera to r4 for 720p with 60fps frame rate. This is the best option for hd viewing and 960 and 1080 is nearly impossible to edit on a basic computer.

Last edited:
S
Aug 11, 2011
MT
I just got a Hero 2 and the MiFi backpac today. I have updated both via CineForm Studio, downloaded the GoPro app for my iPhone 5, and connected the wireless in my iPhone settings. It is awesome that my phone works as the remote. ShredTheRev answered my first question which was about resolution settings. I knew I should probably run 720 but wasn't sure about the 30 or 60 FPS (frames per second). My second question is the lens view, wide, medium or narrow and why? Third question is what are your opinions about where to mount the camera. I do like to ride in the trees, so where is the best place for the video and pictures and the safest from getting ripped off?

i would say wide view for regular riding footage, and maybe narrow for technical standing riding. Its all about personal preference and how you want to record, id bring the manual riding and mess with setting so you can watch the video on the tv and see what you like best.

On a side note i would say that mounting the camera on the side of the helmet is probably the safest, but i've had my camera on top of the helmet and i've hit some seriously stiff branches and surprisingly the housing was fine. I just like the centered view it provides and with the camera mount one way you see the visor, backwards you don't. Once again personal preference as i have buddies that hate seeing helmet visors in the video clips. A tether of rope or fishing line is a must unless you plan on tracking down your camera in the summer, they do fall off and sticky mounts "can" fail. A simple google search of go pro tether, or buying the factory go pro tether is a must for the avid gopro user!!!

Last edited:

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
i would say wide view for regular riding footage, and maybe narrow for technical standing riding. Its all about personal preference and how you want to record, id bring the manual riding and mess with setting so you can watch the video on the tv and see what you like best.

On a side note i would say that mounting the camera on the side of the helmet is probably the safest, but i've had my camera on top of the helmet and i've hit some seriously stiff branches and surprisingly the housing was fine. I just like the centered view it provides and with the camera mount one way you see the visor, backwards you don't. Once again personal preference as i have buddies that hate seeing helmet visors in the video clips. A tether of rope or fishing line is a must unless you plan on tracking down your camera in the summer, they do fall off and sticky mounts "can" fail. A simple google search of go pro tether, or buying the factory go pro tether is a must for the avid gopro user!!!

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Isn't this a tether that I have in my grab bag? I won this and the battery backpac at Steve Darcy's 509 event in Park City. :)ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357536332.921273.jpg

S
Aug 11, 2011
MT
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Isn't this a tether that I have in my grab bag? I won this and the battery backpac at Steve Darcy's 509 event in Park City. :)View attachment 194712

http://www.riversports.com/img/store/lg/Camera_Tethers.jpg
my link is the new go pro tether, i have never used this so i dont know how easy it is to use. I'm guessing you slip the rope through the sticky mount, and then the go pro housing and and then snap it into the standard mount. if your refering to the white rubber piece that goes between the two clamps so the camera doesnt rattle on rough terrain.

Last edited:

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
http://www.riversports.com/img/store/lg/Camera_Tethers.jpg
my link is the new go pro tether, i have never used this so i dont know how easy it is to use. I'm guessing you slip the rope through the sticky mount, and then the go pro housing and and then snap it into the standard mount. if your refering to the white rubber piece that goes between the two clamps so the camera doesnt rattle on rough terrain.

No I was not, I know that is the vibration reducer. There is a little black string in there that looks exactly like the link you just sent me. Not sure if there is the sticky in there. I will open it tomorrow and examine :face-icon-small-hap

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
No I was not, I know that is the vibration reducer. There is a little black string in there that looks exactly like the link you just sent me. Not sure if there is the sticky in there. I will open it tomorrow and examine :face-icon-small-hap

Missy, here's the Go Pro tether on my camera/helmet:
CABD9977-CC4C-4189-9741-3D8FB25992BF-6879-000024569D844188.jpg

Premium Features