• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski-Doo RECALL: 2017 850, Fuel Delivery System Potential Leak

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
picture.php

April 2019

Re: Fuel Delivery System Potential Leak

Dear Ski-Doo® Owner,

BRP is conducting a safety recall on certain Ski-Doo models.

Our records show that you own a potentially affected vehicle.

What is the potential problem?

The vehicle fuel delivery system has a potential wear that can lead to fuel leaks.

Fire could occur in the presence of an ignition source. In some situations, this could result in serious property damages, injuries or even death.

Which models are involved?

Model year 2017 Ski-Doo models equipped with 850 E-TEC® engines.

What will BRP do?

BRP intends to repair your vehicle free of charge. The permanent solution to provide the remedy to this condition should become available in July. BRP will contact you by another letter when the permanent solution becomes available.

What should you do?

BRP recommends avoiding driving your vehicle.

Until the permanent solution is available, if you need to use your vehicle, please contact your BRP Ski-Doo dealer and make an appointment. Your dealer will perform an interim repair procedure. The parts for the interim procedure will be available starting April 17th.

The presence of aftermarket modifications will not prevent you from receiving this service at no cost. The presence of these modifications, while the service is being completed, will not void any existing warranty or service contract.

What to do if you feel this notice is an error?

This notice was mailed to you according to the most current information we have available. If you no longer own this vehicle or some information in this notice is incorrect, please contact BRP at your earliest convenience.

If you have questions or need assistance, or to find the nearest authorized BRP Ski-Doo dealer:

• Visit www.ski-doo.com

Your continued satisfaction with your BRP product is important to us. We have taken this action in the interest of your safety and your vehicle's proper operation.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Sincerely,
BRP Customer Services Department[/FONT][/COLOR]

Last edited:

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Trading mine in on a 2020 Expert, so done riding for the season and dealer said they will take care of it when I drop off the 2017 for the new one.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Friends 17 850 Doo burnt to the ground this winter, he smelled fuel when starting and thought it was flooded and poof flames came out and we couldn’t get it out. Came back the next day and retrieved what was left, about 175lbs total.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Friends 17 850 Doo burnt to the ground this winter, he smelled fuel when starting and thought it was flooded and poof flames came out and we couldn’t get it out. Came back the next day and retrieved what was left, about 175lbs total.

one way to get the sled lighter....

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
My wife said the same thing about our 165 when she was riding it the other day. Makes me wonder with this recall issued, will insurance cover me if it burns down before the season ends?

That's comical asking a bunch of keyboard jockeys on what your insurance covers :face-icon-small-sad

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Has anyone had the temp fix done? I'm planning on using my sled this weekend and I'd rather not burn it down. if you know where exactly this issue is located it would greatly help my situation as well.. Thanks!

D
May 24, 2012
Interim Procedure

2017-13 850 ETEC Fuel Delivery System Potential Leak

See the 3 enclosed pdf files.

Attachments

• 2017-13 850 ETEC Fuel Delivery System Potential Leak - Interim Procedure 1.pdf
    203.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 2017-13 850 ETEC Fuel Delivery System Potential Leak - Interim Procedure 2.pdf
    194.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 2017-13 850 ETEC Fuel Delivery System Potential Leak - Interim Procedure 3.pdf
    173.6 KB · Views: 61

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
That sucks but why not shovel snow on to it?
Not that easy.
My brother was lucky and saved his that way.

A group of 30people(families with kids stuck on the trail) watched as 4-6 of us with shovels buried a sled with a pile of snow 5ft tall and the sled was still burning away underneath, then flair up and melt snow faster than we could shovel.

Polaris

C
Nov 26, 2007
Not that easy.
My brother was lucky and saved his that way.

A group of 30people(families with kids stuck on the trail) watched as 4-6 of us with shovels buried a sled with a pile of snow 5ft tall and the sled was still burning away underneath, then flair up and melt snow faster than we could shovel.

Polaris

Wow my 08 caught fire luckily to put it out gas fueled fires are hard to put out

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Never had a sled go into tiki torch mode (knock on wood), but I imagine you'd have to get to the engine bay within seconds of ignition if a significant amount of fuel has leaked or it's being fed. I just looked up how to remove the hood on a Gen4 – that's not going to happen, and I doubt any other current chassis comes apart quickly enough either. It's probably only old sleds with clam-shell hoods where you have a good chance of actually getting snow on the fire to put it out. No matter what sled it is though, once it gets to the point where flames are coming out of the hood, it's probably a bad idea to be anywhere near it. You never know when the gas tank will rupture, and the sled is probably toast by that point anyway – no use going up with it!

D
May 24, 2012
The Patriot 850 does come apart quick enough. I had a video on it from SnowTrax, but it was edited out. I remember thinking how easy anyone could open your sled wasn't necessarily a selling point.... It reminded me of the Cure to Hard Starting video that got pulled. Not a good way to sell a sled lol

Last edited:

brpcare

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
May 26, 2014
Recall notice a little late for me
dfac8f39f30d8fdd4f85992545d7ba12.jpg
32518e6634e829a43b395cc70f712cda.jpg
b27f65634477489868035c8a8e8e468f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hey Kcj1317.

We are very sorry to see and hear this, and we really hope that nobody was hurt.

Could you kindly send us an email to brp.care@brp.com or, you can call us directly at 1-888-272-9222 and we will gladly take a look into your case to see if there is anything we can do to assist. Please be sure to provide us with your username and the link for this forum, as well as, your unit's VIN so we can find the account in our system.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kindest Regards,

David-BRPcare

Premium Features