• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tracking riding buddies

Post number 25 has been selected as best answered.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
After a riding buddy got misplaced last weekend at Mt. Adams and many ‘herding cats’ attempts, I was first to add a Voyager Pro. It allows tracking up to 20 riders. The rest of the group has them on order. Voyager Pro even works with Shot.

Is this what you are referring to?
https://www.trailtech.net/voyagerpro

hero_voyagerpro.png

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Yes thats it. I want to find out if that unit only tracks other voyager pro users or can it link to others using different equip, garmin rino for example, or maybe some of the other devices.

I have a trail tech endurance on my bike and like it but am considering this and will switch back and forth between sled and moto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Something to think about, but....

If your buddies are so far away from you that you can't find them and can't reach them via radio, who is watching your back in avalanche terrain? Who's watching theirs?

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
The garmin rinos are nice for this stuff. It would be good to have it on the dash or line of sight.
There are scenarios that arent avy terrain. There are times in larger groups that a couple break away and its good to know where they are and vise verse. There are times that someone might zig instead of zag. All kinds of good reasons.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

If your buddies are so far away from you that you can't find them and can't reach them via radio, who is watching your back in avalanche terrain? Who's watching theirs?

So I find that we tend to get separated pretty frequently with perhaps 1/8-1/4 mile distance between us in TREES. It doesn't take much to KILL the BCA Radio's range and poof, you are ON YOUR OWN in an instant.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The garmin rinos are nice for this stuff. It would be good to have it on the dash or line of sight.
There are scenarios that arent avy terrain. There are times in larger groups that a couple break away and its good to know where they are and vise verse. There are times that someone might zig instead of zag. All kinds of good reasons.

When hearding cats, it can be nearly IMPOSSIBLE to keep track of everyone as the group splits apart into small groups and scatters.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Right! Which is why I would like something in front of me at a glance. The garmin is good but have to stop, shut down, remove gloves, etc, etc.

I’m going to call trail tech, but I think the group will need to all be equipped with the voyager pro for it to show.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Ordered the LynQ. Due out this summer.

That little device sounds VERY promising!! They just need to be a little more affordable. I was also wondering if they are using a lithium Ion battery. In very cold temps, i hope they won't shut off like a cell phone will, due to getting too cold . . .?

Link (LynQ) to the video :)
https://youtu.be/eLKimNWfwLA

Attachments

• LinQ2.JPG
    LinQ2.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 212
  • LinQ1.JPG
    LinQ1.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 192

Givemeaboost

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT
I've been stuck in the trees and my buddies were looking for me. I could hear them stop and talk to each other but didn't shut their machines off so they could hear me hollering. Remember that you can hear a lot better when things are quiet.

Ken.......

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I use the Garmin Astro Hunting Dog trackers for my kids. And no, I do not put the dog collars on my kids. I removed the transmitters from the collars and attached a go-pro mount to the transmitter then clipped it to the kids' sleds. They hava a range of up to 9 miles. We used Rino radios as well, but have since switched to the BCA's (way easier to communicate, and we communicate more.)

Attachments

• Garmin Astro 1.jpg
    Garmin Astro 1.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 298
  • Garmin Astro 2.jpg
    Garmin Astro 2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 298

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I use the Garmin Astro Hunting Dog trackers for my kids. And no, I do not put the dog collars on my kids. I removed the transmitters from the collars and attached a go-pro mount to the transmitter then clipped it to the kids' sleds. They hava a range of up to 9 miles. We used Rino radios as well, but have since switched to the BCA's (way easier to communicate, and we communicate more.)
$13 for a motorola shoulder mic/speaker for the $400 garmin. Then its just like a BCA but with the GPS.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho

I hate riding with more than 3 or 4 because it seem like all we do is spend time looking for that one guy who is always taking off or trying to put the herd together so we can move somewhere.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Since the advent of the shoulder clipped microphone radios we aren't getting much quality riding in. Everyone seems to think they can now go Rogue and disappear at will. Most the day is spent looking for the knothead who is stuck or crashed or upside down. Looking out for oneself seems to have gone by the wayside. I guess the best way to deal with the Rogue riders is to put them on ignore, hope their not dead or dying, then gathering them up at the end of the day on the way back to the truck like the good old days. Technology may make life a little more safe, but on the flipside we used to get a lot more quality riding in when the group made it a point to keep everyone in site.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
That little device sounds VERY promising!! They just need to be a little more affordable. I was also wondering if they are using a lithium Ion battery. In very cold temps, i hope they won't shut off like a cell phone will, due to getting too cold . . .?

Link (LynQ) to the video :)
https://youtu.be/eLKimNWfwLA

They are about $110 a piece, pretty cheap. Assuming they work, you outfit your group and good to go.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I had an experience last weekend that turned out to be very entertaining although I have always been a little twisted. I was out with a group who all had radios and were all jibber jabbering with each other all morning. I parked beside this guy and he said," Hey there bub, it doesn't appear you have a radio, you gotta be a real moron not to have a radio these days." I was very kind and said I prefer line of site which has served me well for the last 40 years. He said," all you gotta do is fall in one sinkhole up here and you might be a deadman". I explained to him that I hadn't crashed into a sinkhole in the last 40 years. He fired up his sled and disappeared, a little while later my friend informed me that "Peckerwood" was on the radio saying he drove into a sinkhole. Everyone was frantically ripping around trying to find him, I calmly drove down the creekbed to the most likely place a moron would find a sinkhole and was first at the scene. Thank god he had a radio!!!!

Premium Features