• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alright...who plans on snowchecking????

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
You can take your sled to any dealer for warranty work, you don't have to take it back to the place you bought it from.

I know that, but do I really want to take it back to my local dealer, who I'm friends, who knows I didn't buy from him? I doubt he would want to go to bat for me with polaris as much as he would if I bought from him

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
One thing I have really been wrestling with and really WORRIED about with this whole snowcheck thing and that is what dealer to buy from?

I live in a remote area of oregon and we have a polaris dealer here. Then there is a Carl's cycle in boise, cascade motor sports in Bend (both 3 hours away) and a few other dealers a little farther away. Now I am good friends with the owner of the dealership here and both of the guys that work in the shop. I love having a polaris dealer local for several reasons. I like being able to run down and grab a part or two and saving a weekend ride and it's nice to be able to go and see the new stuff when it comes in. Plus these guys have helped me with questions I've had on my sleds.

Here is the dilemma, I am almost POSITIVE when I get my snowcheck quote that the local dealer isn't going to be the best price, they just don't do anywhere near the volume of the other bigger dealers. I'm wrestling with how much more I'm willing to pay in order to keep my business local. Basically it'll cost me 100 bucks just to drive to the next closest dealer just to GET the sled. Then if I have any warranty work, I have to drive 3 hours one way just to get a sled looked at. Being a first year sled, I feel it is more likely to have small warranty issues such as wiring or fitment of a new chassis.

Give me hour opinion, what would be a dollar amount you would put on supporting the local business and gaining the advantages of having warranty work done right here rather than travelling the distances I'm talking about?

It doesn't matter how much volume your dealer does, all dealers pay the same price for the sled. The difference is if your dealer is a level one, two or three and the programs they get. With that said, the dollar amount for snowcheck in programs is usually not that much difference. IMO I would get your best deal in writing from what ever dealer your talking about and take it your local dealer and give them every chance to earn your business. If they cant come anywhere close to what you were quoted elsewhere at least you gave them a shot and there shouldn't be any hurt feelings. Again this is only my opinion.

C
Dec 24, 2014
I like what I see but to get me to pay a premium for a snow check is going to take some serious incentives. I bought a new '13 last year and a new '14 this year. My '14 has 4 years of warranty, and I really love the Pro chassis.

The reality is that the 900, the Dragon and even the '11 Pro had unacceptable engine issues. I am not one of those guys with the bankroll to be a guinea pig for Polaris. I am very hopeful Poo has it figured out this time.

So what would put me over the edge? Under $12k, 15x" X3 track, all black like my '13. I prefer shiny black to flat. Painted/powder coated bare alum components and a premium shock package. Partner up with Exit or another premium manufacturer for a special snow check run. Make it really special and sell at less than a premium price. Of course, they probably wont have to do any of that to sell a bunch of them. I will be a second year guy. If I still had money, you are right, I would snow check one and not think twice.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I know that, but do I really want to take it back to my local dealer, who I'm friends, who knows I didn't buy from him? I doubt he would want to go to bat for me with polaris as much as he would if I bought from him

If he's such a great friend he would sell you the sled for the same price as the other dealer or very close to it. I say if you give him the chance to match or come close you've done all you could do to buy the sled from him. Business is business. Unless he is providing you with something more than the other dealer, other than he is in your town, I would go where I can get the best deal. As for not going to bat for you, I'd say that's a poor business model. In this economy you've got to earn your customers not just expect them to line up at your door. All I hear on here from dealers is they make next to nothing off selling sleds all the money comes from repairs and aftermarket parts. So he should be more than happy to do your warranty work rather than sell you the sled!!!

Last edited:
I
Nov 26, 2007
Support local if you like having a local dealer. If you don't mind driving three hours for warranty and ordering parts online then go where you get the best deal, eventually you won't have a local dealer as a choice.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Support local if you like having a local dealer. If you don't mind driving three hours for warranty and ordering parts online then go where you get the best deal, eventually you won't have a local dealer as a choice.

My exact conundrum. I'm hoping his price is competitive. I don't think I would pay more than 3-400 bucks extra just to keep it local. I know his prices on leftovers are no where near other dealers. He is trying to sell 2015's for like 10800. Which is impossible to swallow when I can drive 3 hours and get the same sled for 1400 less. Snowchecks should be closer in price though

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Assuming your dealer is decent with the shop end of it, or you wouldn't even be considering them. If they are decent, but you still get a tough issue for them to figure out, just take it to Carl's and stand in line.

Gotta give the local guy a chance if you like their service and convenience, I'm always willing to pay +$300 US for that chance, but much above that, and it's a different discussion. Present it to them that way, and they'll respect you, even if you end up making a different buy decision.

One more word - looking back at the 11 Pro RMKs, they were pretty much sold out by January of 2011. But unless you want a long-term warranty, best deals are Feb-Mar, evidenced with the 12-15 prices you could find in Feb/Mar the past three years. Don't know how the 16 sellthrough will be - if the Axys really delivers, they'll be hard to find by mid Jan next year, but then they'll be a ton of the 17's available the following year, cause they will overproduce.

SASKTOOLMAN

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2013
CANADA
My exact conundrum. I'm hoping his price is competitive. I don't think I would pay more than 3-400 bucks extra just to keep it local. I know his prices on leftovers are no where near other dealers. He is trying to sell 2015's for like 10800. Which is impossible to swallow when I can drive 3 hours and get the same sled for 1400 less. Snowchecks should be closer in price though

3hrs one way? Does your truck run on love? I have a buddy that will drive allday to save $1000. Not worth it. Factor in your time, your fuel, wear and tear on your truck! My luck would I always end up blowing a tire or something stupid. Lot to be said about supporting locals like ICR said. Dont support and soon you wont have the option. I could see it if the local was a douche canoe, but if hes your "friend", you should both ben willing and able to compromise on the price. My dealer treats me well, service is more important to me. When my sleds are busted, i know he works harder to get me outta there. I have been there after hours because I was leaving the next day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
I also drive 3 hrs for a good dealer have 5 with in 45 minutes but I forgot more than they seem to know. I know I could get cheaper from bigger dealer than my dealer same distance away just in other direction for me it's worth the price difference to buy from my dealer and not have to worry

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
3hrs one way? Does your truck run on love? I have a buddy that will drive allday to save $1000. Not worth it. Factor in your time, your fuel, wear and tear on your truck! My luck would I always end up blowing a tire or something stupid. Lot to be said about supporting locals like ICR said. Dont support and soon you wont have the option. I could see it if the local was a douche canoe, but if hes your "friend", you should both ben willing and able to compromise on the price. My dealer treats me well, service is more important to me. When my sleds are busted, i know he works harder to get me outta there. I have been there after hours because I was leaving the next day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as your comment about "running on love": Three hours one way is 180 miles. At .50 a mile that's 180 bucks round trip which is a generous contribution to wear and tear besides the fuel. An extra 6 hours of time is nothing considering if he was 500 less than the local dealer. (500-180)/6=53.33 per hour. You're telling me you wouldn't jump in your pickup and drive on a weekend for 53.33 an hour, with all vehicle expenses paid??? You must make more money than me.

And yes, we are friends. That being said that doesn't mean he will give me the best price around. For all I know he will be less than the competition on a snowcheck. But if you compare his price vs the competition for leftovers, he isn't even in the ballpark.

I plan to get quotes from several dealers and take the lowest number I get into him and see how close he can come to it. As I said, I'm willing to pay more to keep it local, but HOW MUCH more was the question.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
As far as your comment about "running on love": Three hours one way is 180 miles. At .50 a mile that's 180 bucks round trip which is a generous contribution to wear and tear besides the fuel. An extra 6 hours of time is nothing considering if he was 500 less than the local dealer. (500-180)/6=53.33 per hour. You're telling me you wouldn't jump in your pickup and drive on a weekend for 53.33 an hour, with all vehicle expenses paid??? You must make more money than me.

And yes, we are friends. That being said that doesn't mean he will give me the best price around. For all I know he will be less than the competition on a snowcheck. But if you compare his price vs the competition for leftovers, he isn't even in the ballpark.

I plan to get quotes from several dealers and take the lowest number I get into him and see how close he can come to it. As I said, I'm willing to pay more to keep it local, but HOW MUCH more was the question.

Nothing against driving but.....
A few things.
Burn that Saturday because they are not open Sunday.
Will you bring it to the local guy when it needs warrenty?
Will you get as good of service/preference?
How many trips total will you make to the guy far away?
Add up all that time and gas.
Time never comes back to you, you can always make more money.........
$53 an hour on weekends..... meh.... I'd much rather go riding dirt/snow/mud.
Plus i would make quite a bit more than that working on a sat. :)

I see too many negatives/possible negatives to the equation.
Quick and easy and get on with life.

Plus HPAK rocks!

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Nothing against driving but.....
A few things.
Burn that Saturday because they are not open Sunday.
Will you bring it to the local guy when it needs warrenty?
Will you get as good of service/preference?
How many trips total will you make to the guy far away?
Add up all that time and gas.
Time never comes back to you, you can always make more money.........
$53 an hour on weekends..... meh.... I'd much rather go riding dirt/snow/mud.
Plus i would make quite a bit more than that working on a sat. :)

I see too many negatives/possible negatives to the equation.
Quick and easy and get on with life.

Plus HPAK rocks!

This, I all understand. So if I'm reading this right, you can't put a price on how much more you would be willing to pay to keep it local? Because that was and still IS the question.

PS: I work most weekends anyway, and for way less than 53 bucks an hour. In fact, some weekends it would just be nice to get paid, period. It takes a lot of hours to keep up with a family ranch and hold down a full time job at the same time.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
This, I all understand. So if I'm reading this right, you can't put a price on how much more you would be willing to pay to keep it local? Because that was and still IS the question.

PS: I work most weekends anyway, and for way less than 53 bucks an hour. In fact, some weekends it would just be nice to get paid, period. It takes a lot of hours to keep up with a family ranch and hold down a full time job at the same time.

You answer the questions i posed before (to yourself) and you have you're own answer.

For me.
Around $1000.

But my local dealer is usually the best price anyways.
So not an issue for me.
Often the deep discounts late season mean they sold less than the other guys because of worse service/buying experience?????

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
I'll be snowchecking a 16, but if they don't offer a 3" option on the snowcheck. I'll be a skidoo.

Last edited:

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
One thing I have really been wrestling with and really WORRIED about with this whole snowcheck thing and that is what dealer to buy from?

I live in a remote area of oregon and we have a polaris dealer here. Then there is a Carl's cycle in boise, cascade motor sports in Bend (both 3 hours away) and a few other dealers a little farther away. Now I am good friends with the owner of the dealership here and both of the guys that work in the shop. I love having a polaris dealer local for several reasons. I like being able to run down and grab a part or two and saving a weekend ride and it's nice to be able to go and see the new stuff when it comes in. Plus these guys have helped me with questions I've had on my sleds.

Here is the dilemma, I am almost POSITIVE when I get my snowcheck quote that the local dealer isn't going to be the best price, they just don't do anywhere near the volume of the other bigger dealers. I'm wrestling with how much more I'm willing to pay in order to keep my business local. Basically it'll cost me 100 bucks just to drive to the next closest dealer just to GET the sled. Then if I have any warranty work, I have to drive 3 hours one way just to get a sled looked at. Being a first year sled, I feel it is more likely to have small warranty issues such as wiring or fitment of a new chassis.

Give me hour opinion, what would be a dollar amount you would put on supporting the local business and gaining the advantages of having warranty work done right here rather than travelling the distances I'm talking about?

You are asking a value question on how much more to pay-- the only person you need to ask is yourself.

Years ago, I was the sales manager of a Honda Ducati dealership. All I could ever ask my customers to do is exactly what your plan is. Shop around, get the best price and see if your local dealer can match it. At the end of the day, they want your business (or should). Sometimes, I would have a customer come in with an offer I couldn't match-- some dealers will sell into the holdback or sell at a small loss to get the inventory off their flooring (finance) charge. I didn't always make the sale, but I never "lost" a customer either. Dealer has to see it from customers point of view also. Snowcheck is a great time to get a deal because the dealer won't have to carry the flooring charge because the sled is sold as soon as it shows up.

Good luck.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Dang.....I've seen two separate 2012 pros on craigslist today. one with 3900 miles and 600 on a new motor for 5500 and one with 1300 miles for 5700. Price on those things is in the TANK!

A
Mar 14, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
Dang.....I've seen two separate 2012 pros on craigslist today. one with 3900 miles and 600 on a new motor for 5500 and one with 1300 miles for 5700. Price on those things is in the TANK!

Meh. A 2012 is 4 years old at this point. Figure a mountain sled depreciates $1500 per year it is ridden, thats $6000 off a new price of $9500. I'd say the guy selling is getting a solid deal. Personally I'd buy new for that cost of ownership per year (and warranty).

Premium Features