• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any real world HP numbers for the HO engine?

S

Skeld

Mar 6, 2011
Bangor, Maine
The ECU has a 2hr break in mode, the 145hp was likely on a new sled that had not been broke in yet. Extra oil is also added for the first 18hrs.

I guess the question is, why would the idiots at Amsnow run a sled that isn't broken in on the dyno and for times?

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
glad poo could get to the cat and doo hp of 2010. just short of a half decade.
now if they could keep up with the reliability on the motor side of the zuki. i can see it now "my ho motor has had no problem with only 400 mile" next three years. " why is my motor not keeping RMP, or what is the fix kit"
I have a motto
good chassis and a piss poor motor
great motor and a fair chassis
compromised chassis and compromised motor.
you put the brands to the motto's

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
good chassis and a piss poor motor
great motor and a fair chassis
compromised chassis and compromised motor.
you put the brands to the motto's[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. I think it will be a wait and see with this new engine. I like the pro chassis. My dealer told me to bring my Pro's in when they reach 1000 miles and they will rebuild the top ends under warranty. I don't know if I'll be able to get that many miles on my three Pro's before the warranty runs out. Maybe I should sale one or two. I'm waiting a year or two on this new motor. I'm having fun on my other sled, that's when I find the time and snow to ride.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I guess the question is, why would the idiots at Amsnow run a sled that isn't broken in on the dyno and for times?

The answer is in your question. They are idiots.

And thrashing a shiny new motor - they obviously don't pay for them with their own money. Or, they're loaded idiots.

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
They did great in sales. Polaris has the best marketing team out there. You got to hand it to them for that. Polaris RZR sales are great to. They have bought several companies in the last few year. No one had to switch they chose to switch because they thought they were getting the best with Polaris. Just like people voting for Obama they didn't have too but they did and look were that got us. If your only concerned about sale number than the 4 brands should only be concerned about flat landers. If you could get 35% of flat landers sale you would be #1 in sales.
My sister said Hi. My brother in-law said Hi.

Sounds like you know a lot about flat land sales. Maybe you should make a trip to the flat lands and see that 1/10 of te flat lands sleds here are still pro rmks.

Sounds like market share

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Sounds like you know a lot about flat land sales. Maybe you should make a trip to the flat lands and see that 1/10 of te flat lands sleds here are still pro rmks.

Sounds like market share[/QUOTE]

No I don't. They just have a larger market than the mountain segment. Looking at snowmobile registrations flat lands have more. Nice thing about facts you can't make them up. I'm sure people still buy mountain sleds in flat lands so they can bang the ditches and play in the powder. Mountain sled are not very practical on trails. You don't see them in snocross either. My opinion trail sleds handle different then mountain sleds. Below is a state by state snowmobile registration numbers. Please show me where you get your 1/10 and I'll stand corrected.

http://www.snowmobile.org/stats_registrations_us.asp

Last edited:
M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
I don't live in the U.S. So state by state comparison is void to me. I know what my observations are tho and what the numbers are when you show up at any meet.

There are very few areas in Canada that we are confined to trails alone. Most places people like to be in the actual snow. You hit the Great Lakes are and sure you'll fing a lot of trail sleds. Everywhere else people have slowly gone to something longer

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Everyone is saying that the flat land miles on the 800 ho are basically meaningless. I know mountain miles do not equal trail miles, and unfortunately I wasn't paying attention to the sled game enough when the pros came out, but what were the original reports from the flatlanders with the pro 800 motors? Were they getting the same miles as the new HO with as few of failures as we have seen out of the HO? It's not apples to apples but the fact that we have seen several guys with over 1500 miles and ZERO (that I've seen, other than one case which appeared to be something getting sucked through the motor) failures is not meaningless. At least in my mind

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Now this thread need some sunshine....

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Everyone is saying that the flat land miles on the 800 ho are basically meaningless. I know mountain miles do not equal trail miles, and unfortunately I wasn't paying attention to the sled game enough when the pros came out, but what were the original reports from the flatlanders with the pro 800 motors? Were they getting the same miles as the new HO with as few of failures as we have seen out of the HO? It's not apples to apples but the fact that we have seen several guys with over 1500 miles and ZERO (that I've seen, other than one case which appeared to be something getting sucked through the motor) failures is not meaningless. At least in my mind

Way fewer failures with the CFI-2 800 in the Rush, but also VERY different cooling (1 front exchanger, 1 front cooler, 2 tunnel coolers, 1 mid flap cooler. yeah.) Per long-term poo techs I ride with. They just get ridden differently, with a different 'puter map.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
BREAK 'EM IN THE WAY YOU WANT THEM TO RUN!!

GREAT Question!

The American Snowmobiler rules are that the STOCK sleds are randomly selected (still in the crate) from dealers in New York and un-crated a couple of days before the event in New York state.

Jim @ Dynotech dyno's ALL the stock sleds to verify if there's a peculiar high HP sled in the mix, then the sleds are locked/secured in an enclosed trailer overnight before the event. So the sleds have a "little dyno time on them, then it's pull the rope & go! And it's only wide open throttle pass for 12 seconds, if nearly new sled can't handle that, that manufacturer should get out of the business of building motors!

Why you ask?,

Because in the past, the factory (on occasion) was sending out fine tuned/slightly modded sleds to the event. (Factory cheating, nawwwwww, can't happen, right?)

Shave the heads a little, jet it down, dial in clutching, hey, who's gonna know?

As Smokey Yunick once said, there's 2 kinds of racers, cheaters & losers......................................................

Last edited:
S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Look I know this is the Polaris site. I have three Pro 2014 so I do comment on it. I also have two Nytro turbos and a 2015 Viper 270 hp mcx turbo. I don't worry about engine brake in with my Yamaha's as much as my Polaris'. My viper was turbo from day 1. 15lbs at sea level and up to 19lbs around 8000+, pump fuel with head shim and i don't worry about the engine like i do my Pro's. Brake it no more than 5 lbs of boost on first tank of gas. Each sled has its pro and cons. It would be sweet if Polaris' were reliable with turbos. I don't think they are so i don't turbo mine. When ride my viper it has some much more power that its ALMOST not fun to ride the polaris'. I know this is hard to believe for most polaris riders but it's true. Power is your friend. Also, they are not just for climbing long steep chutes. It handles awesome in the tree and tight boondocking. Your selling yourself short by not giving them an honest chance. 145 hp or 168 hp is what I've read with the polaris. These numbers drop the higher you go and in deep powder track speed is your best friend. I look at hills much different with my new sled. People I ride with are impressed by this sled. Cheers.

BLSDEEP

Lifetime Membership
Dec 18, 2007
Bozeman
Look I know this is the Polaris site. I have three Pro 2014 so I do comment on it. I also have two Nytro turbos and a 2015 Viper 270 hp mcx turbo. I don't worry about engine brake in with my Yamaha's as much as my Polaris'. My viper was turbo from day 1. 15lbs at sea level and up to 19lbs around 8000+, pump fuel with head shim and i don't worry about the engine like i do my Pro's. Brake it no more than 5 lbs of boost on first tank of gas. Each sled has its pro and cons. It would be sweet if Polaris' were reliable with turbos. I don't think they are so i don't turbo mine. When ride my viper it has some much more power that its ALMOST not fun to ride the polaris'. I know this is hard to believe for most polaris riders but it's true. Power is your friend. Also, they are not just for climbing long steep chutes. It handles awesome in the tree and tight boondocking. Your selling yourself short by not giving them an honest chance. 145 hp or 168 hp is what I've read with the polaris. These numbers drop the higher you go and in deep powder track speed is your best friend. I look at hills much different with my new sled. People I ride with are impressed by this sled. Cheers.

Ok,.....
I ride a supercharged 163 Axys custom chassis, and it makes my stock yami "PIG" super boring to ride..
Ummmm....
What's yer point?... Your comparing boosted vs stock.
I don't get it.

D
Nov 14, 2013

I beg to differ with 3000 boosted miles on a 12' pro. The polaris accepts boost very well. Pull the pistons every 1500miles if your anal like me, 2000miles on a hard ridden stock sled seems to be the top end life.

I am sure for certain types of riding your big sleds are fun, for any of the riding I do as well as a lot of poo riders, they are not even in the same class. Sorry weight is weight, power does not make up for the weight difference in 90% of the riding situations I find my poo in. I am currently riding a stock poo, my turbo hit a tree. Yes when the snow was headlight deep there were some places I was really missing my turbo, but most of the time the stock pro is clamped and a lot easier to ride. A couple hop overs later and your sitting in the same spot as the turbo. Yes I will put the turbo on my poo again, am I in a rush to....not really....

I think you should do yourself a favor and boost your pro ;)

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I think you should do yourself a favor and boost your pro ;)[/QUOTE]

Will you buy me a turbo. Lol. What boost lbs and kit are you running? I'm willing to travel to ride new places. When you boost your sled let me know and then you can show me up.

Last edited:
S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I ride a supercharged 163 Axys custom chassis, and it makes my stock yami "PIG" super boring to ride..
Ummmm....
What's yer point?... Your comparing boosttock.
I don't get it.[/QUOTE]

I just never heard of a reliable turbo polaris. 4 to 6 lbs is about all I've seen. PMS told me to bring my sleds in at 1000 miles to put new pistons in. Couldn't imagine if I had a turbo in it and what it would do. Have you been on a turbo Viper? Point is. I like horsepower. I don't use it for the whole ride just when I need it. I like more than I need, but I also want something reliable. I just wish polaris made more reliable engines. Hopefully, they pull through with this new one.

BLSDEEP

Lifetime Membership
Dec 18, 2007
Bozeman
Ummmm....
What's yer point?... Your comparing boosttock.
I don't get it.

I just never heard of a reliable turbo polaris. 4 to 6 lbs is about all I've seen. PMS told me to bring my sleds in at 1000 miles to put new pistons in. Couldn't imagine if I had a turbo in it and what it would do. Have you been on a turbo Viper? Point is. I like horsepower. I don't use it for the whole ride just when I need it. I like more than I need, but I also want something reliable. I just wish polaris made more reliable engines. Hopefully, they pull through with this new one.[/QUOTE]

Ok I hear ya, 4 stroke reliability.
I guess I'm just lucky. I have had 0 problems with my last 3 Polaris 800's and now 900 BB.
So I'm knocking on wood.

Premium Features