• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 D7 clutch issue

Not sure if this is a common problem or not but both mine and my brothers d7 clutches dont engage going down steep hills. Found this out highmarking, once i've turned out and start heading down hill, it seems no matter how long i hold the throttle at higher speed the clutch doesnt seem to engage at all. Just seems to be free wheeling. Thought i was going to blow the motor trying to get it to engage. Anyone else have this issue and if so how do we rectify?

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
It's possible your secondary isn't back shifting fast enough. Can I assume this is worse on really steep descents?
As I'm sure you know, you should only have to blip the throttle to keep it engaged.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Not sure if this is a common problem or not but both mine and my brothers d7 clutches dont engage going down steep hills. Found this out highmarking, once i've turned out and start heading down hill, it seems no matter how long i hold the throttle at higher speed the clutch doesnt seem to engage at all. Just seems to be free wheeling. Thought i was going to blow the motor trying to get it to engage. Anyone else have this issue and if so how do we rectify?

It depends on clutch setup and how quickly the drive clutch releases back to open. Adding 2 grams to my primary and I got the condition you describe vs engine braking with lighter weights that keeps the primary engaged longer and on hills.
It's more important to have the right clutch setup. I prefer the fast opening primary in all conditions except down hill.:beer;

S

Snoweasel

Nov 27, 2007
Edmonton AB
Secondary Issues

I had the exact same problem on my 07 D7, installed 3 delrin washers in the secondary and the problem was gone. I also installed a more aggressive helix (66-42-.46) however I'm pretty sure it was the delrin washers that eliminated the binding on the backshift.

Premium Features