• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AXYS vs. CMX-X

BLSDEEP

Lifetime Membership
Dec 18, 2007
Bozeman
If you were to compare the new Axys to something, it would be the sleds coming out of Burandt's shop. The concepts are very similar.

I have been around one of the Burandt sleds. It is nothing short of amazing. The new sled will be the same just a tad more refined.

Is Burandt selling a built Snowmobile? If so, where could I see it?

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
If you were to compare the new Axys to something, it would be the sleds coming out of Burandt's shop. The concepts are very similar.

I have been around one of the Burandt sleds. It is nothing short of amazing. The new sled will be the same just a tad more refined.

don't they just bolt readily available aftermarket parts on the sleds? or is there something else special about them?

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
Yep......I helped to install a CMX drive on an Edge quite a few years back & was very impressed with the quality. Had some issues with low service life out of the brake pads initially but that was eventually rectified.

Not that I can afford a CMX machine by any means & wouldn't expect a mass produced sled to have the same quality as a custom shop but the current drive system on the Pro could certainly use some refinement.

I have to admit that was somewhat disheartened when I seen the picture of the AXYS driveshaft.

--Still using the bandaid collars on the glued trackshaft??? Yikes...

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
--Still using the bandaid collars on the glued trackshaft??? Yikes...

Why not? It works. Permanent solution to a problem fixed by Polaris in about a month. How long did Cat take to fix their clutching/belt exploding issues? My buds 12 was never fixed.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Why not? It works. Permanent solution to a problem fixed by Polaris in about a month. How long did Cat take to fix their clutching/belt exploding issues? My buds 12 was never fixed.

Then his dealer sucks, cause mine had it figured out the first year. I had a '12 till it was traded this year. Never blew a belt.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
don't they just bolt readily available aftermarket parts on the sleds? or is there something else special about them?

Your 100% correct, but its the combination of parts, that makes a total package. My buddy has one, I jumped on it the other day and about crapped my pants. Its like riding a dirt bike with a track and two skis. It is the most nibble sled I have ever been on.

The Skinz front changes the ride height. HUGE amounts. I don't know exact measurements. Then you adjust the rear skid pressures to go with the front. If you match up to the Skinz/Burandt weight distribution, you will have an amazing machine. If you watch the suspension 4 video, it will explain. I am very fortunate to have a friend that races, understand suspension, and can put our sleds on scales.

Then you throw the airloc boards on. WOW. The "snowmobility" goes way up, plus your plastics narrow.

IMO a lot of the new sled is based on these Skinz/Burandt/Adams concepts. When Skinz was developing the products the riders were loving the ride height adjustments, and wanted more.

The only thing one of the "Burandt" Pro's is missing is the drive shaft location. I know many of you will think I am full of crap. You NEED to ride one!!

To the Gentleman that asked about Burandt built sled. Yes, I believe the last few years, they have been putting out sleds. Again are they bolt on parts, yes, but I believe Burandt and Skinz work very closely in developing them. Its a total package.

I believe if you put a overlay of a axys and burandt/skinz pro you would see striking similarities.

Last edited:
T

TheJett29

Dec 6, 2007
Western ND
Your 100% correct, but its the combination of parts, that makes a total package. My buddy has one, I jumped on it the other day and about crapped my pants. Its like riding a dirt bike with a track and two skis. It is the most nibble sled I have ever been on.

The Skinz front changes the ride height. HUGE amounts. I don't know exact measurements. Then you adjust the rear skid pressures to go with the front. If you match up to the Skinz/Burandt weight distribution, you will have an amazing machine. If you watch the suspension 4 video, it will explain. I am very fortunate to have a friend that races, understand suspension, and can put our sleds on scales.

Then you throw the airloc boards on. WOW. The "snowmobility" goes way up, plus your plastics narrow.

IMO a lot of the new sled is based on these Skinz/Burandt/Adams concepts. When Skinz was developing the products the riders were loving the ride height adjustments, and wanted more.

The only thing one of the "Burandt" Pro's is missing is the drive shaft location. I know many of you will think I am full of crap. You NEED to ride one!!

To the Gentleman that asked about Burandt built sled. Yes, I believe the last few years, they have been putting out sleds. Again are they bolt on parts, yes, but I believe Burandt and Skinz work very closely in developing them. Its a total package.

I believe if you put a overlay of a axys and burandt/skinz pro you would see striking similarities.

Exactly 100% accurate

T

TheJett29

Dec 6, 2007
Western ND
Why did you sell your cmx

Just to change things up. I am very passionate about snowmobiling and am always looking for knowledge and love testing out all the new products.

Never being content, that is what drives this sport to where it is now and where it will go in the future.

D
Nov 14, 2013

What is said driveshaft location on Burandts Pro?

Jett29, still waiting for a name or a map for ebc on my hm turbo from ya? :face-icon-small-dis

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
curious if Buradnt actually buys his sleds or they are given to him. wonder if cmx gave him a couple sleds what he would say about them, and what changes he would do for the "complete setup."
also, cant wait to see what cmx has in store for the next best chassis, axys or whatever it may be..

S

sno-addict

Oct 21, 2008
I toured Mark's shop when he was doing the prototype CMX-X and he was very willing to show me around and explain what he was doing. I want to say I remember him saying that he works or worked with Polaris on some R&D for some of the Polaris models. Also that Skinz fabricated/designed some of the parts for his sleds so I think most "custom" sled builders use the same guys for a lot of the stuff. I also do know for a fact that he outsources some of his parts to some fabshops around MT. His sleds are for sure a work of art and a lot of time go into them and I would love to get some play time on one. I would buy and AXYS over a CMX just for parts accessibility, you just cant go to your local dealer a pick a new part up for your CMX. A CMX is a custom sled with custom parts and we all know how difficult it can be to get replacement custom parts...Just my 2 cents

T

TheJett29

Dec 6, 2007
Western ND
What is said driveshaft location on Burandts Pro?

Jett29, still waiting for a name or a map for ebc on my hm turbo from ya? :face-icon-small-dis

Haha. If you think that info is free for everyone your crazy. Since HM got his turbos pulled I have went a different route with the Vipec. For your info though everyone says you can't put a Vipec on a skidoo either, that is a pretty good hint what we have been up too.

I heard HM still is not offering ebc, I don't know why not. I was 95% sure they had it figured out. Maybe next year for them but I don't think it looks real good for them.

D
Nov 14, 2013
Haha. If you think that info is free for everyone your crazy. Since HM got his turbos pulled I have went a different route with the Vipec. For your info though everyone says you can't put a Vipec on a skidoo either, that is a pretty good hint what we have been up too.

I heard HM still is not offering ebc, I don't know why not. I was 95% sure they had it figured out. Maybe next year for them but I don't think it looks real good for them.

HM has given up on the EBC, this is a quote from vipec.........

Trying to control electronicaly the variable vans of the aero is hazardous.....the design of that turbo doesn't permit to safely and PRECISELY control boost.

So apparently you are my only hope. :frusty:

Last edited:

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007

I think your right on, Burandt/skinz/Vohk/Fox are starting to put together some stuff that flat out rocks. It is really cool that Polaris is listening to them and trying to mimic these sleds. When you look at there sleds you just think its a lightweight sled with a bunch of crap that you don't need, but I think the parts really do work.
My buddy has a new Vohk turbo with all sorts of goodies on it and got a chance to ride Burandts Carbon sled this year when they went out to tune his sled. He said everything about that sled is in a whole different league. So easy to ride and 250+hp at the blip of the throttle.
I rode my buddies sled with Burandts Fox shocks that Woog set up for a turbo with 153" 2.6 PC and that skid was like magic, its like you could keep the front down if ya wanted to in a steep climb but yet make it wheelie anytime you wanted to, super easy to ride and very playful yet all business in a climb.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Digging up OLD stuff again. 5 years to retrospect this conversation. BUT beating dead horses is what created the model T. If you were going to build a sled from the chassis up in a more or less clean design sheet. 2020-1990 any engine part ect.... like CMX has done, and others- Would it be a pro or axys cast bulkhead and why? Cost is a factor in any days world but maybe more so in a year or two than now? Is the axys bulkhead REALLY that much better than the pro? I see the SAME failure spots in the tunnel/ QD or C case area.

2011 pro rmk with 155= 431 lbs. assault= 446. 145hp

CMX-X 155 =415 or 425 with the turbo

2021 rmk 2.6 850 = 415.**KHAOS with 3"QD2 155=424lbs***pro vs axys vs matrix.pngRMK SHOWDOWN.png2021 polaris break down chart.png

HP 145 vs 165? @ 8000fte = 110hp vs 125hp I paid $11,800 out the door for my 11 rmk Assault155. vs 21 850 matrix assault switchback at 15,800

polaris engines hp break down.jpg

SO in 10 years we have gained? hmmm a loss of 15-20 pounds if that, 11.37% more hp at 8000ft, SO, is a 2022 TURBO matrix 850 going to be worth $18,500 ? Kinda almost makes a 2022 "CMX" more viable at 25-30k considering it really is built to order. I would like to see what a polaris axys bulkhead vs pro bulkhead is on a scale if anyone has that? i can weigh one as i have 3 in the shop right now, but getting apples to apples is hard. Tunnels are virtually the same. plastics have not gotten lighter but they are nicer. IDK, doesn't REALY seem like that much progress

Mark, Kam- if you guys are reading this im JUST saying maybe 154x3.5 alpha track. HEAVY crank twin with 900ish cc long rod and the new G25-550 or 650 turbo...

Check out C.B.'s newest build

In reality, what was being done 6 or 8 years ago is not much different than today. Besides track technology and now everyone wants a sled that flips over backwards lol. Also, with technology in computers advancing every day for less USD, why is it all the new sleds have to come with blue tooth touchscreen GPS government coivd trackers? Thats some BS. HOWEVER, that climate control sure looks nice!

Last edited:

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I don't know of any reason you'd use a Pro-chassis bulkhead over the AXYS, but I don't think there's much to be gained anymore from taking existing chassis and rebuilding them. Back in the EDGE and IQ days (and even more so before), there was a lot of weight to take off. Now, not so much: you could take a nearly 500lb EDGE and easily remove 50lb; not sure there's even half that much you can take off an AXYS using the same measures and level of spending. That's mostly based on what I've read of lightweight AXYS builds, don't own one myself.

My thought is that the movement we've seen in the last few years is in the wrong direction to some degree. Polaris threw down the gauntlet by knocking a ton of weight off with the Pro chassis, and continued with the belt drive, but there has been no movement on weight since then. In fact, the 850 has added a few pounds, the Matryx chassis loses no weight, and the developments I'm hearing rumblings about (turbo 850 and a 4T option) will also add weight. Surely there is another way. Unfortunately, while I believe the technology is there, and the gains could be huge, it's not going to be cheap. What could bring a tremendous shift would be a carbon fiber bulkhead and maybe even tunnel. I don't know enough about carbon fiber to get into the technical aspects, but I do know that it would take a major effort – it's not just a matter of imitating existing designs using carbon fiber instead of aluminum. Who knows how much that would cost, but it would be a lot more than existing models. Costs are coming down though, and eventually a full CF sled should be attainable. If so, my vision would be a <350lb sled. That kind of weight would mean no need for more than a 155 track, and a NA 800 (or maybe even a slightly smaller, higher-revving motor) would be enough power for most riders. There are a few wildcards: maybe a 16" track, monorail or narrowed twin rail, maybe a monoski? Ultimately, it's hard to tell how much of a revolution is needed in the basic layout. I would like to see some thought given to more than the Burandt set and handling technical terrain that's beyond most riders. It's a difficult spot because that's who's going to spend the kind of money it'll take, but it would be good to see something that could work down to the mass market.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I don't know of any reason you'd use a Pro-chassis bulkhead over the AXYS, but I don't think there's much to be gained anymore from taking existing chassis and rebuilding them. Back in the EDGE and IQ days (and even more so before), there was a lot of weight to take off. Now, not so much: you could take a nearly 500lb EDGE and easily remove 50lb; not sure there's even half that much you can take off an AXYS using the same measures and level of spending. That's mostly based on what I've read of lightweight AXYS builds, don't own one myself.

My thought is that the movement we've seen in the last few years is in the wrong direction to some degree. Polaris threw down the gauntlet by knocking a ton of weight off with the Pro chassis, and continued with the belt drive, but there has been no movement on weight since then.

I read that far and already 95% agree with everything you said. Have to go so i will finish replying later! Anyone else? Opinions desired, Honestly hoping to hear from people who disagree with my big post above that re-erected this horse for another beating. I don't think its 100% dead yet :rolleyes:

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana

My thought is that the movement we've seen in the last few years is in the wrong direction to some degree. Polaris threw down the gauntlet by knocking a ton of weight off with the Pro chassis, and continued with the belt drive, but there has been no movement on weight since then. In fact, the 850 has added a few pounds, the Matryx chassis loses no weight, and the developments I'm hearing rumblings about (turbo 850 and a 4T option) will also add weight. Surely there is another way. Unfortunately, while I believe the technology is there, and the gains could be huge, it's not going to be cheap. What could bring a tremendous shift would be a carbon fiber bulkhead and maybe even tunnel. I don't know enough about carbon fiber to get into the technical aspects, but I do know that it would take a major effort – it's not just a matter of imitating existing designs using carbon fiber instead of aluminum. Who knows how much that would cost, but it would be a lot more than existing models. Costs are coming down though, and eventually a full CF sled should be attainable. If so, my vision would be a <350lb sled. That kind of weight would mean no need for more than a 155 track, and a NA 800 (or maybe even a slightly smaller, higher-revving motor) would be enough power for most riders. There are a few wildcards: maybe a 16" track, monorail or narrowed twin rail, maybe a mono

Ok so first off the reason for the pro chassis over the axys is 1. more room for activities. You WILL not see a trippple piped engine sitting in an axys chassis without a real nut trying to do so. I happen to have a 3 piped pro bulkhead in my shop right now. plenty of room for fun!
31957527_10155224293637085_9213267095498784768_o.jpg

122718503_10157363685937085_3016014326884132997_o.jpg

2. Costs.

3, although the plastics are WAY better they still are not on par with other manufacturers. which is fine. anyone who knows me well knows im ok with zip ties holding body parts on

Beartooth i have a loose perversion slip from ez ryde to play with their suspensions. If i get a letter in the mail or an email we will go from there lol but of my science projects 1 of them is a 4 carbonfiber rail (if carbonsled would get back to my emails that would be cool) with cantaliever style onboard shocks (rear, like a rush or think Traxxas REVO) and front rear track shocks being same as whats normal. Not sure if i will get that done ever but i will have a TWIN track IRS sled on the snow this season. Mono rail? pssssh dual mono rails are better??? -lol maybe. With that being said one could see why im interested in CMX's 16" wide bulkhead parts which ultimately is the killer of the axys chassis for me. the overstructure of a pro can be played with as much if not more than an axys and i'll have some videos of TWO race gas BD pro's on snow around christmas (if it ever snows) plus a small, light triple cylinder pro rmk aiming to be lighter than a stock 2011 155 rmk with better performance (thats going to be hard to do)

4. do they need to be lighter ? the only way i see that happening is with a carbon/kevlar/ti monocoque chassis that is 3d printed. I have some money i intend to invest in the sled world this following year BUT not that much money lol g25 vs gtx 2867.png

im ok with a 500 pound machine so long as it runs on pump gas and makes 300 hp

120069847_10157297185052085_7717788943893897879_o.jpg
120325733_10157299030562085_8660153763740563294_o.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features