• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

why is it detonating

M
Nov 29, 2007
preston id
i have a 990 that has been tuned for 2 years and then i had a plug cap break and then replaced and has never run the same again it will pull but not pull like it should run it rich run it lean not much change then plug will start coming out richen it up so running 1000deg on 10 wot pull up hill runs 91 and thought it was bad gas so drained then straight 110 and seemed better in the field then filled up so i had a 50/50 110/91 mix and went up ridding and same thing just didnt feel right and was 1050 max running hard up trail with 12" new snow stopped to check and plug was starting to work out again will bad cdi cause this or bad coil out of or is crank twisted, went through carbs any thing else to try

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Did you replace the plug cap with one that will carry enough juice and did you get it screwed into the wire good? You should have cut about a half inch off the wire.

M
Nov 29, 2007
preston id
my friend had a njk hard cap in his trailer i dont know the which one it is just cut wire down and screwed it in maybe i should get a wire and plug from the dealer

jjmyzrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
Helena, MT
there are different resistances in caps. You probably got one with a different resistance. ohm your old one and the one you put on to see if there is a diffence. best bet go get the right one from the dealer.

Premium Features