• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any Split Riders?

R
Oct 18, 2010
Who out there also splits with the sledding? In my mind this is the ultimate combo for BC riding! My good friend just placed an order for 50 t-nuts (the ones with the ptex bases) and the special countersink bit for them. When they come in we are going to meet up and build 3 boards at once

pic stolen from TGR
PHOTO_9841322_75233_8097810_ap_320X240.jpg

the reason i need a split..
25798_10150166490225114_892290113_11851379_5746941_n.jpg

I'm splitting my older option Vinson 162, it's a stiff pow board that is directional and tapered. Also splitting my gf's GNU B-pro from 3 years ago. I'll have a jig setup to cut boards with a table saw if anyone else wants a perfect cut!

R
Oct 18, 2010
Yeah it's a bit spendy with all the toys (skins, crampons and sparks) so it's taken me a while to get all the stuff together. We tried to get the t-nuts last winter but every supplier was sold out. I still don't have skins, and with the sled not having a very long track those may have to wait :D

Do the people in your group with splits use em when they go sledding? Cascade Powder Cats has their yurt that groups can rent and do sled in/out trips too..

L

Lushbomb

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
www.oneshotproduction.net
i have yet to go out with my budddies and they actually bring there splits.. but that is the plan this yr.. its the ultra combo hands down.. so i can assure it will happen.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I'm planning on setting one up this season come January. Couple friends have that set up and love it, they both used the Voile split kit.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
If i would ever strap the Prior Khyber splitty on the back of my M8 there would be no powder that can hide. Ride up to some steep and tight trees and skin up where the sleds cant go boohyah. Too bad sledding is so good i always leave the board in the truck. I was going to get some spark bindings but **** that now i have spark plugs!

L

Lushbomb

Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
I was going to get some spark bindings but **** that now i have spark plugs!

hahaha quote of the day bro!! :face-icon-small-hap

i left my board behind for awhile when i started sledding, to much fun plus i had to get up to speed to even be able to get to the rad zones.. now i am addicted to both riding and brapping big time..

i would like to try and split for just those reason, no pow can hide!! but in the reality i am.. for lack of a sophisticated word - 'a lazy SOB' :D

R
Oct 18, 2010
that is my problem now, balancing the riding expenses vs. sled stuff. gotta get a bigger truck and a trailer, and another sled for my lady an we'll really be set!

I think i'm gonna get skins, then long track, then new pow board...maybe long track then skins..na maybe pow board...ugh

L

Lushbomb

Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
rally, what size track and sled do you have now?

upgrading tracks depending on what u got can be a pretty major expense i heard.

far as splits go.. i still might DIY split one of my boards and get some karakoram bindings. the karakoram bindings coming out are supposed to be pretty rad and a real advancement in split bindings as they lock the board together better..

we did an interview with them at there factory recently here in washington, (my partner in video crime TomMTX did) we'll be dropping that soon.. there bindings really do sound like am improvement on whats out there right now.

R
Oct 18, 2010
it's got a 136 on it now, and my cuz who i got it from said it really does pretty well in deeper snow, so I want to get some rides in first to see how it does. TraksUSA gave me a quote for a complete setup WITH a brand new track (136 to 151) for $600. Given that tracks run up over 400 new that is a killer deal on new stuff really (extensions, tunnel extension and new track). I may also make my own tunnel extension and keep an eye for a used track, but really 600 for everything new is not much more than buying used stuff from what i've found. All depends how it does though in the super deep stuff I hope to find often this winter haha

I havn't heard of these bindings you speak of yet, but am definitely interested. I've had my eyes on the sparks for a while now

L

Lushbomb

Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
$600? that doesn't sound bad at all!
a 136 will get you around with your buddies breaking the trail for sure :)

yeah, check these guys out.. local outfit, couple of brothers, they used to be instructors up at snocrummy too for awhile. now they're breaking into the market.. they got a GREAT setup! we'll be dropping a interview with them soon.
http://www.karakorambc.com/

N
Apr 8, 2010
Newcastle, WA
I got last years "fuse" sparks and the mr chomps crampons. Things work great, so much lower to the ground and so much stiffer.
The karkoriums setup looks great as well, but already having split a board with the voile kit I'll probably just stay that route when the Mullet goes to the table saw :face-icon-small-hap

Oh and Brenden you are good to go, me and Poppoff's M7s are both 162s and Karter will probably end up with something in the 150-160 range with his new sled too.

R
Oct 18, 2010
lushbomb...I think my gf knows one of those bros from the pass, she was telling me a guy she met up there an talked splits with was telling her about his split system! that's crazy I'll have to show her the photo tonight.

Yeah good point with the trail breakers, I just gotta get setup for when we take off on our own. Plus you guys always ride on the weekends and I like to ride during the week haha

L

Lushbomb

Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
i might be laid off again this winter and will be looking for a couple days a week riding buddies.. as well as weekend riding with my main crew.
we're gonna lay out the keeeck0rs at GC this yr.. show up, dust'em off and rally! :p

S

sledsurfer

Nov 30, 2007
Hood River, OR
www.vimeo.com
The sled/split combo is a must where I live. LONG access in to good riding areas, and a very small number of runs that can be lapped by sled, which are all fairly short. If you want your runs to be steep AND long around here you gotta earn it! And in my mind the cost of the splitboard vs the sled, trailer, parts and ongoing maintenance is very minor.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I've had split boards since the first Voile's, but when I bought my first big HP sled I sold my split. Nothing I can get to on my splitty that I can't on the sled!

Kinda miss the splitty from time to time... but I'd miss my sled more!!!:face-icon-small-win

Premium Features