• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BTW... There is now a ECU reflash available for the 850 :-)

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I had the refresh this week and we have been pounded with over the hood deep powder here in Upper MI. My sled had the mid range bog from the day one. It got better but came back after the refresh. Yes, belt deflection was good (I check it each ride) and I clean off the air intake constantly. Its "almost" comical how it does it when you need the power most to get out of some nasty spots. They just replaced the speed sensor and PIDD at the same time this week, both seem to be working fine. I swapped sleds with others and they had the same on mine. Top end, runs excellent. Its almost like it started break in again. I also checked all my connections. Everything looks good, plugs are soaking wet again. Compression is good both sides. Im going to look more in the next few days along with a leak down. I have some time after hitting a hidden pipe yesterday afternoon. Guess I needed a new front suspension anyways :face-icon-small-dis

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Before anyone does a reflash, you should first do a cylinder leak down test.

Motor Performance before the reflash...... And performance results after reflash are worthless leak down numbers.

The big problem with reflashes is...... ( we do NOT know the leak down % on the sled Polaris is using for the mapping ).

Are they using a brand new motor ? With 3-1/2% leak down?

Are they using a 500 mile motor ? With 1-1/2% leak down that had a great cylinder finish and rings sealed up nice ?

Are they using a 500 mile motor ? With 7% leak down that has rings that are on their way out the door...... ( basicly junk )

You see if we knew everyone's numbers...... Then we could see who's sleds the reflash works on and if there is a correlation to the leak down numbers.

And there will be........

If you build a map on a sub-par motor the map is basicly worthless to everyone except another guy with the same sub-par motor with the exact same leak down.

If you build a map on a broke in motor with 1-1/2% leak down...... The Map will be awesome for everyone with a good solid top-end with good % numbers.

As I have said...... All the different results are worthless to the masses without leak down numbers

Dan

Last edited:

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Two more days of riding with reflash and so far super happy. It flat out works. No bog. No rev down issues. Simply consistent performance. For conditions, we were on around 65cm's of blower pow @ -8C and riding at 1500 feet. 30ish hours on engine

I had to laugh though. I keep getting a message on the PIDD telling me to "Change the Oil". Apparently you can get this with the 800's as well. I think it was put in deliberately.....LOL

On the leak down....think I'll wait till end of season as it's a pretty big job 2 test.

OTM

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Yes on the leak down I wouldn't worry about until it won't go in reverse or start when warm. Carried a can of either to start a ski doo once it was warmed up to get though the season due to low compression. It was a ring eater. The leak down test has many variables doubt you will get two sleds with the same. Hot cold which oil being used just to name a few.

W
Dec 30, 2018
I had to laugh though. I keep getting a message on the PIDD telling me to "Change the Oil". Apparently you can get this with the 800's as well. I think it was put in deliberately.....Lol

My 15 did that and I was like wtf, I can't remember how I shut it off but went into vehicle settings and shut off one of the alerts I forget which, they use the same gauge on the 4 wheelers is y it does this, my fealeeustve hat shut it off on my 19 cause that hasn't popped up yet

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Before anyone does a reflash, you should first do a cylinder leak down test.

Motor Performance before the reflash...... And performance results after reflash are worthless leak down numbers.

The big problem with reflashes is...... ( we do NOT know the leak down % on the sled Polaris is using for the mapping ).

Are they using a brand new motor ? With 3-1/2% leak down?

Are they using a 500 mile motor ? With 1-1/2% leak down that had a great cylinder finish and rings sealed up nice ?

Are they using a 500 mile motor ? With 7% leak down that has rings that are on their way out the door...... ( basicly junk )

You see if we knew everyone's numbers...... Then we could see who's sleds the reflash works on and if there is a correlation to the leak down numbers.

And there will be........

If you build a map on a sub-par motor the map is basicly worthless to everyone except another guy with the same sub-par motor with the exact same leak down.

If you build a map on a broke in motor with 1-1/2% leak down...... The Map will be awesome for everyone with a good solid top-end with good % numbers.

As I have said...... All the different results are worthless to the masses without leak down numbers

Dan

Sorry but dont agree at all, the base fuel map was made to begin with knowing these sleds would be all over the place with kms, diffrent oils, diffrent leakdowns diffrent everything.. and by changeing the map they take all that into account as well.. what do you expect them to do build a map for each sled? They dont have joe backyard tuner building the maps for these sleds... also by knowing your current leakdown before vs after the tune the leakdown isnt going to just change because they put a tune in it.... this happens in almost every indstury most times you bring your truck into the dealer they are re-mapping it withyou not even knowing usually for emissions.... they are not going to leak down test each one....my point being if the motor was on its way out and running crappy before the flash... its still worn out and probally going to be running crappy after the flash as well

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Got a few hours on the new tune finally this afternoon. As others have reported, no bog, crisper across the whole map. Thank you polaris for cleaning it up!

I do still have the throttle hang up on deceleration though. Going to lube up he cable and see what difference that makes.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Yes on the leak down I wouldn't worry about until it won't go in reverse or start when warm. Carried a can of either to start a ski doo once it was warmed up to get though the season due to low compression. It was a ring eater. The leak down test has many variables doubt you will get two sleds with the same. Hot cold which oil being used just to name a few.

All good points..... Leak down must be done in a warm shop around room temp to give good numbers.

If at room temp the numbers are really dependable.

The failure to go into reverse is a really good sign the top-end is spent.

Dan

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
Leak down test

I’m positive if we did a leak down test on my friends 850 before his reflash, it would not have changed the out come (POS go boom) after the reflash.

And although I agree a leak down tester is a great tool to have, I’m not sure how it will help these 850 owners as they have a 4 yr warranty and likely won’t be going to a custom builder to repair.

Will the data change how Polaris reacts to all these failing motors?

All I know is I am terribly disappointed in this Polaris motor, and will have to figure out what to spring order now?..

850 ?

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Yeah I've personally had this issue with the TPS being just the tiniest bit out of whack, all of sudden no reverse.

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
So I got the new reflash last Friday. Ran sled Saturday and Sunday. about 100 miles between the 2 days. Saturday the sled ran flawless, new map definitely cleaned things up. sled started better also after hot. Sunday sled was still running perfectly but halfway through the day I fouled plugs. completely random, sled running perfect then completely boggy. pulled plugs and they were very wet with fuel. good color, but soaked with fuel. new plugs, sled ran great for another hour then just outa the blue fouled plugs again. same story, good color but soaked with fuel. sled runs freaking awesome, nice and crisp at all rpm, pulls 8300rpm. not sure whats wrong. called dealer and they said haven't heard anything else like this. they are going to contact Polaris and get back with me.

I have almost 800 total miles on my sled now. only fouled one set of plugs before reflash and that was a ride with my kid going pretty slow down the mountain. ran great before reflash just super rich down low and kinda boggy. was hard starting also when hot.

Last edited:
R
Dec 25, 2015
sled runs freaking awesome, nice and crisp at all rpm, pulls 8300rpm. not sure whats wrong. called dealer and they said haven't heard anything else like this. they are going to contact Polaris and get back with me.

8300 RPM..... is this with stock clutch setup?

my friends stops at 8100 and it should be out of break in mode... anyone know what the max RPM should be on a stock 850 Patriot that is no longer in break in mode?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Funny chit. The new tune for 850 poo runs great except for xxxx but thats ok because I was riding the sled different.
People are funny.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR

Yes. I ran stock clutching for a day after the reflash, ran 82-8300. Next day i switched to slp magnum force weights. Ran 8300 but pulls harder and revs quicker. 81-8200 is what Polaris is recommending, ive found 8300 works pretty damn good for me

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
Funny chit. The new tune for 850 poo runs great except for xxxx but thats ok because I was riding the sled different.
People are funny.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Who are you saying is riding the sled differently??

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA

Yes. I ran stock clutching for a day after the reflash, ran 82-8300. Next day i switched to slp magnum force weights. Ran 8300 but pulls harder and revs quicker. 81-8200 is what Polaris is recommending, ive found 8300 works pretty damn good for me

8250 is what they recommend.

Last edited:
Premium Features