• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best ETEC Re-builder?

Lander

Premium Member
Nov 12, 2011
Casper, WY
Mechanics come and go from Skidoo dealers all the time so I'm wondering who the best shop or mechanic is to rebuild an 800 ETEC in a 2015 in the Rocky Mountain Region? The motor has only 1500mi. and I'm pretty sure I have lost the bottom end in it. I'm going to pull the motor myself and tear it down, then make a decision what to do. Repair and keep it, trade it for a 2019, or sell it out right and buy a new one in the fall.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
Mechanics come and go from Skidoo dealers all the time so I'm wondering who the best shop or mechanic is to rebuild an 800 ETEC in a 2015 in the Rocky Mountain Region? The motor has only 1500mi. and I'm pretty sure I have lost the bottom end in it. I'm going to pull the motor myself and tear it down, then make a decision what to do. Repair and keep it, trade it for a 2019, or sell it out right and buy a new one in the fall.

I would be looking for a dealer who sells Trygstad motor sports products in your region.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Big John. Sled head racing for sure. He is going to be this time of year.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
rocky mountain region is pretty vague but star valley skidoo would be worth a phone call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
If it was me.. I’d buy a re-man short block from Skidoo. Give your old one back as a core. New one has brand new parts, comes with 1 year warranty.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota

Send it in if your going to R/R motor...
we doo 100s of motors a season (#1 builder in the midwest) and can make few improvements at the same time-BJ

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
I would skip the rebuild with improvement, Reman from Ski Doo would be my choice, There are good dealers out there that can help you from start to finish.

Lander

Premium Member
Nov 12, 2011
Casper, WY
Update: Lost the mag side piston, so after 5 months of debating on what to do, I finally sent my motor to RKTek and going with the 860BB. Wasn't in the market to replace the sled so hopefully this will be the ticket to a few more seasons of fun.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Ive been to Dave Trygstad's shop several times. After nosing around looking at all what he does in that sanitized shop and Dave explaining to me of what he's doing to engines there, I would ship my engine to him in a heartbeat. [that is...if you aint got the mustard to fix the engine yourself].
I seen 800R, 600 carburetor engines and Etec's in his shop that were not getting big bores done, no, they were getting rebuilt with all OEM BRP gasket sets and pistons; people sending him engines to just rebuild to stock. 7am to 10pm at night.....obsessed with his craft. Im pleased to have seen his shop and the work Dave does.
Fkin guy does competent work. There's good reasons he's high in BRP's eye, its because he contributes to BRP sending a "brand message" to other brand owners that Ski-Doo is the best...
...ever!

Last edited:

Lander

Premium Member
Nov 12, 2011
Casper, WY
After a long delay of getting my RK TEK 860 ETEC finished up, I finally got a few solid rides in and I can tell you it will not disappoint. I typically do a lot of technical tree riding, but also like to pull a few steep chutes in between each zone. Today I pulled the steepest chute I've ever done and it was no joke, having absolutely no loss of track speed even in the steepest part. My friend, who is an equally great rider, could not even come close to matching my mark (even after poaching part of my line) on his 850. If this thing holds up, I would have a tough time trading it for a newer sled with less power, it's really that much of a game changer.

F
Apr 4, 2022
Idaho
After a long delay of getting my RK TEK 860 ETEC finished up, I finally got a few solid rides in and I can tell you it will not disappoint. I typically do a lot of technical tree riding, but also like to pull a few steep chutes in between each zone. Today I pulled the steepest chute I've ever done and it was no joke, having absolutely no loss of track speed even in the steepest part. My friend, who is an equally great rider, could not even come close to matching my mark (even after poaching part of my line) on his 850. If this thing holds up, I would have a tough time trading it for a newer sled with less power, it's really that much of a game changer.
How has it held up since then? Worth it?

Premium Features