• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who's using Mirrorless 4/3 Camera for video?

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Just curious if anyone is using a mirror less 4/3 camera to film video. If so, what camera are you using? Would you recommend it? How do you pack it out on your sled? How does it deal with moisture?

I'm looking to step up the filming game this year and wanted to shoot with something I can put a 300mm lens on to get some good cross hill shots. Instead of DSLR, I think I could get a 4/3's camera to do the same work in a smaller lighter package. I've narrowed it down to Panasonic G7 or Panasonic GH4. GH4 has weatherproofing so seems like that's the more logical choice, but the G7 is so much cheaper and the video performance is pretty good from what I understand. For the money I save with the G7 I could get a really nice gimble for it.

Thanks in advance for any advice..

K

kswitch

Apr 7, 2011
Whitefish, MT
M43

I'm in a similar boat with slightly different priorities. I'm looking into focusing more on stills with the convince of being able to capture video. I will primarily be using my camera for sledding in the winter and hiking/landscape shots in the summer.

I'm waiting on the Olympus OM-D EM-1 Mark II to be released tomorrow. If it comes out within budget I will get it and not look back. It's poised to be the best professional grade M43 camera on the marked. Fps, auto focus, and video quality will be top notch. Splash, dust, freeze, and shock proof. For what it's worth, take a look at the specs and see what you think. Price will be released tomorrow. See if it fits the bill. Olympus has some of the best glass available for mirrorless cameras in their Pro series.

When it comes to carrying on the sled. We all have pelican cases on our tunnels and carry our cameras that way. Works great. Keeps the cam safe and dry and easily accessible for getting the shot quick. We have taken our sleds on many a washboard trail at speed and never once had a camera get injured. Just mount it as close to the seat as possible so you get it centered on the sled for the smoothest ride.

N

nfinit100

Oct 1, 2015
Northern CO
I currently use a Sony RX10 m2 for video. It was a weatherproof body similar to the GH4 but is more of a bridge camera. I don't want to carry multiple lenses as it becomes quite cumbersome, so mine does the trick. It's a 24-200mm zoom lens and has worked for everything I need it to. I couple it with a decent tripod and a fluid drag head as the more you zoom the more of an issue the transitions become, couple this with 3 action cams and new smart phones seems to be more than enough. I wanted to be able to do all video in 4k as it makes editing a lot easier if you are able to crop down to 1080p or allows for really nice footage if you're able to use the full 4K. If I was doing it over again, i'd be looking at the Sony RX10 m3
http://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-rx10m3 as it takes the zoom out to 600mm.

From a price standpoint the Panasonic FZ1000 is hard to beat. Just no weatherproofing, so I wasn't sure on that one. The new FZ2500 looks great too and starts shipping this month.

Since mine is used about 70% for video and 30% for photo, it may not be right for everyone but it was perfect for what I needed. Match it up to a Pelican case that fits perfectly in my CFR rack and we are good to go. Then I don't worry about the cameras the multiple times I have rolled the sled :face-icon-small-dis

couple all of the with the DJI Mavic drone and things are really starting to look good! Except the better the snow is the less I want to deal with any of the above...

Premium Features